1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Urgent. Please comment

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by nycaim, Dec 17, 2005.

1. nycaim

nycaim New Member

Dental Student
    I go to CUNY and my DAT score is 16AA,18TS,17 PAT and my GPA 3.5 overall same in science. Did research for 3 years ( got a publication), worked for a dentist for 3 months, played sports, participated in student goverment.. ect..

I applied to Upenn, S.brook, Buffalo,NYU,UDNJ,BU,Indiana, UConn.U.Maryland, Uni.Wash. Tufts Un.,
    Upenn rejected me, U. Maryland said take DAT again before jan 15th .2006 and get 18 AA or higher.
    What are my chances of getting accepted in other dental school?
    and what should I do now.

Do you think any school will accept me

Please help.. :confused:

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Utes

Utes Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Dentist
    Take the DAT over again.

4. nycaim

nycaim New Member

Dental Student
    Thank you for writing back. If I take DAT over again and I get same score, do you think U.Maryland will accept me ..

I would appreciate so much if other views would comment on my case. Is very imporant for me now to make the right decision.
    Thank you..

5. drhobie7

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    study hard so you'll get a higher score. i don't think they'll accept you if you get the same score.

6. SunnyDay

SunnyDay Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental

It will only hurt your application if you retake the DAT and score the same. You should do well on the DAT if you study. It is not a hard test, it just requires time. Just memorizing the Kaplan Blue book will get you a higher DAT score than you have now.

7. Audio

Audio Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

With those DAT scores, you really got to question the validity of that GPA.

8. La Miraflorina

La Miraflorina Dental Diva
    5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I'd do just what the schools tell you to do. Study your a$$ off from now until mid January and see what you can get your scores up to.

Is it too late to apply to some other schools which typically take people with lower DAT scores? Call them up and find out.

Otherwise, the worst thing that can happen is that you'll have to re-apply next year. It's not your ideal situation, I know, but it's not the end of the world. And with a year to study hard for the DAT and get some more experience, you'll be a much stronger candidate next time around and you might get into your top choice.

But don't give up hope yet! I'd call all the schools and ask them what you can do to make yourself a stronger candidate.

BEST OF LUCK :luck:

9. Slash

Slash Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

You're just going to have to suck it up and retake the DAT. A 16 AA DAT score isn't going to get you into dental school. Hopefully you've been studying the last few weeks/months otherwise you're looking like a reapplicant next year.

10. beredsox2

beredsox2 The Anti Anti-Dentite
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I agree with all the other responses. Just to give you a number to shoot for, you should be getting 19 on AA on your practice tests regularly before you take the actual test. Some schools might accept an 18 AA maybe, but most schools now won't even offer an applicant an interview unless they have a 19AA or above because they use the DAT as a litmus test to see if you will be able to pass the first boards. So you really need to get into that range, and I don't think it should be a problem with how solid your gpa is, unless of course your classes used some kind of crazy curves or something. Good luck, and just keep practicing.

11. LadyxJC

LadyxJC Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

As others said, I would definitely take the DAT again. Make sure you study for it so that there is significant improvement~

12. nycaim

nycaim New Member

Dental Student

Thank you very much for you comments
    Can you give me a list of schools that accept students with low DAT score ?

13. beredsox2

beredsox2 The Anti Anti-Dentite
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    If I remember correctly from the incoming classes last year, the lowest avg DAT scores for those accepted were at Meharry, West Virginia, and Howard are the only schools at around 16AA. Then there the rest are over 17 through 20s. Here I just found the link to those stats:

http://www.uvscpredentalclub.com/2004-2005%20admission%20stats.pdf

14. Mustt Mustt

Mustt Mustt Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Dude, just retake the damn DAT. I mean if you really have 3.5 GPA it should be the easy one. The stuff is really basic on the test and it is not hard to get 19 AA. Just suck it up and study your ass off during the christmas break. With the 16 AA you will have hard time jusifying your GPA.

15. La Miraflorina

La Miraflorina Dental Diva
    5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    The link boree gave is newer, I think. But this is the website I used:

http://dentalstats.tripod.com/03-04.htm

Hope this helps. :luck:

16. mkdhappy

mkdhappy Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    you shouldn't log on SDN now...study HARD...i mean REALLY HARD for your jan DAT. That's your only chance...well, unless the other schools would accept you...but your DAT is kind of weak. SO FOCUS AND good luck!

i mean...you only got a few more weeks...so focus! :) good luck again.

17. -OB-

-OB- Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: