URM, 3.83 / 520

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Generalkhadif12

Reaction score
  1. cGPA: 3.83, flunked out first semester due to family issues, retook courses and 4.0 every semester with no W’s
  2. sGPA: 3.92
  3. MCAT: 520, 130/131/129/130
  4. State of residence: Louisiana
  5. URM, Disadvantaged/ FAP
  6. Undergraduate institution: LSU
  7. Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer): 200hrs hospice care volunteering, 300hrs hospital volunteering
  8. Research experience:3 years in a research lab , 1 poster
  9. Shadowing experience: 50hrs ortho, 40hrs Neuro, 50hrs primary care
  10. Non-clinical volunteering: 500hrs peer mentorship, tutoring K-8 in a disadvantaged area
  11. Other extracurricular activities: Multiple years Boxing and MMA experience, Intramural sports, TA work through university, Black SGA, multiple clubs and orgs on campus
  12. Relevant honors or awards: Dean’s list multiple times
  13. Biology major

School list: No order outside of top 10
1.) Harvard
2.) Stanford
3.) UPenn
4.) Duke
5.) NYU
6.) Columbia
7.) JHU
8.) Cornell
9.) Dartmouth
10.) Baylor
11.) UCLA
12.) UChicago
13.) Baylor
14.) Northwestern
15.) Emory
16.) Keck
17.) Yale
18.) Mayo-Rochester
19-21.) State Schools and Tulane

Members don't see this ad.

Apply to some safeties just to be sure, but you're going to be fine unless you've got some major red flags in your application. Consider giving up a few points of your GPA / MCAT to others. :laugh:

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
  1. cGPA: 3.83, flunked out first semester due to family issues, retook courses and 4.0 every semester with no W’s
  2. sGPA: 3.92
  3. MCAT: 520, 130/131/129/130
  4. State of residence: Louisiana
  5. URM, Disadvantaged/ FAP
  6. Undergraduate institution: LSU
  7. Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer): 200hrs hospice care volunteering, 300hrs hospital volunteering
  8. Research experience:3 years in a research lab , 1 poster
  9. Shadowing experience: 50hrs ortho, 40hrs Neuro, 50hrs primary care
  10. Non-clinical volunteering: 500hrs peer mentorship, tutoring K-8 in a disadvantaged area
  11. Other extracurricular activities: Multiple years Boxing and MMA experience, Intramural sports, TA work through university, Black SGA, multiple clubs and orgs on campus
  12. Relevant honors or awards: Dean’s list multiple times
  13. Biology major

School list: No order outside of top 10
1.) Harvard
2.) Stanford
3.) UPenn
4.) Duke
5.) NYU
6.) Columbia
7.) JHU
8.) Cornell
9.) Dartmouth
10.) Baylor
11.) UCLA
12.) UChicago
13.) Baylor
14.) Northwestern
15.) Emory
16.) Keck
17.) Yale
18.) Mayo-Rochester
19-21.) State Schools and Tulane

You've done well for yourself.

FYI, AMCAS doesn't count only the higher of two grades if you've retaken a course for any reason even if your college does so. In other words, AMCAS would count all your grades even those where you failed and retook.

Apply to some safeties just to be sure, but you're going to be fine unless you've got some major red flags in your application. Consider giving up a few points of your GPA / MCAT to others. :laugh:
I sincerely wish I could spare a few points lmao But quite honestly, I think the only thing that could potentially work against me is my two year hiatus.. my dad’s health declining and his eventual death sidelined me for a good bit. Eventually pulled rebuilt myself, just hoping schools look upon that favorably in my interviews.

Reactions: 1 user
:)
You've done well for yourself.

FYI, AMCAS doesn't count only the higher of two grades if you've retaken a course for any reason even if your college does so. In other words, AMCAS would count all your grades even those where you failed and retook.
Thanks. I accounted for that. My uni uses both attempts and essentially averages them out to a C so I used my graduating GPA.

Reactions: 1 users
I sincerely wish I could spare a few points lmao But quite honestly, I think the only thing that could potentially work against me is my two year hiatus.. my dad’s health declining and his eventual death sidelined me for a good bit. Eventually pulled rebuilt myself, just hoping schools look upon that favorably in my interviews.
Your GPA and subsequent work would suggest that you more than succeeded in accomplishing that.

You have persevered through more than most people do at this age. I am sorry that you lost your dad, but I think you should be proud of all you did to help your family and to get by. I don't think you are going to be looked at unfavorably by any school. Congrats on your success, and I hope you continue to find more. You have earned it!

You're a rock star. Apply to any top 20 school that interests you, plus your state schools and HBCUs. You are platinum.
You are Platinum.png