URM interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shoeclothes

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there any URM who interviewed yet?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, I interviewed at Mayo, and it was really nice. Everyone was really sweet. I have about 5 more interviews coming up at Michigan St., Cornell, UCSF, Case Western, and UCI. Lemme know if you have any more questions. ;)

Yes, I interviewed at Stanford...everyone was really cool!

Members don't see this ad :)
A very interesting username you have, ChupaCabra. ;)

-RA

God I wish I was an URM.

Hmmm. Maybe affirmative action isn't such a bad idea?

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

edit:

My sarcasm indicator is broken.

Welcome to SDN, ChupaCabra! :) And congrats at interviewing at Stanford!! I was under the impression they didn't like to take their own undergrads. Are you still there, or have you graduated?

And cbpremed, welcome to you, too!! :) And CONGRATS on all those interviews!!! :clap:

Originally posted by CatsAreKillers
Is it that hard to figure out? :p

Sure it is, there are more nonurm's accepted to medical school than urm's. You guys are taking up almost ALL of the seats!:p

Hey centrum & everyone else who thinks that URMs are taking "seats" away from them: you are clueless. I happen to know one of the people who said they've been interviewing (hey cbpremed!) & she has worked harder than any other premed I know to earn her place. So please stop assuming that URMs are not qualified to go to medical school or that their heritage makes them a shoe-in for schools or that they do not have the GPA or MCATs! :mad:

Members don't see this ad :)
[...]their heritage makes them a shoe-in[...]
This is exactly the reason why Affirmative Action needs to be modified. The stigma of any African-American that gets into Harvard or Stanford is that they didn't earn their seat. (And the stigma is way worse for African-Americans because their race is readily identifiable, whereas others' are not).

When people are polled about this subject, it's revealed that this stigma is a reality. And as long as the law enforces that Admissions standards are lowered for race-only, then people will continue to think this. That's why I think economic-status should be written into the Affirmative Action laws of this country because it will decrease the stigma greatly.

I wrote this elsewhere about doing an e-mail campaign to write Congress to modify the current AA system:
If you think that the current Affirmative Action laws need to be changed, then they are unlikely to change unless you take action. Join this e-mail campaign (e-mail your friends/families/co-workers) & to talk-show hosts & newspeople ([email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], etc...) to get U.S. citizens to write their Congressman or Congresswoman.

Make sure to include in your e-mail something like the following:

"Please forward this e-mail to everyone you know and also write your Congressperson about changing Affirmative Action. It takes 2 seconds to write your Representative because all you have to do is copy and paste the speech below and then go to the website":
http://www.house.gov/WriteRep/

Obviously the current system of "Affirmative Action" or "Reverse Discrimination" (depending on your point of view) isn't working:

A) Under-Represented-Minorities (URM's) think that they need Affirmative Action (AA) to succeed, but resent being given a stigma and thought of as "being let into college with lower standards" if they get into a university such as Harvard (or any college for that matter) because it could never be proven otherwise.

B) The majority of Americans are against it because Caucasians and Asians think lower standards should not apply to someone just because of their race.

There seem to be two major problems that resulted in having to have AA in the 1st place:

1) In this country, African-Americans and other minorities have a higher percentage of poor people and as a result, end up in school systems with lesser facilities.

2) African-Americans and other minorities think that "whites" in the system are prejudiced towards them.

Concerning issue #1, this is an economic problem and could be dealt with by changing Affirmative Action to take income into consideration (for all races), like many other low-income programs do, such as "HEAD START" which start helping students before they're even in kindergarten.

In addition, if a "disadvantage" status could be proven (the same as a low-income status has to be proven), then it should also be taken into consideration. For example, you could prove that (a child has hopped from 1 foster home to the next, or has been abused, or has physical malformations) through court/legal documents, police, & doctor reports...

Concerning issue #2, there are steps of anonymous test-taking methods or other methods that could be implemented to prevent any racist teachers ("white" or "black") from raising or lowering test scores of students based on their race.

In addition, it should be illegal for schools to ask "legacy" questions or for med schools to ask "is your relative a physician?" question.

The reason why I think this solution is a fair compromise is that it will still affect African-Americans and other minorities to a greater extent since their experience of prejudice and their percentage of poor are greater than non-minorities', and their "legacy" situations are less. Therefore, it will not neglect the fact that URM physicians are necessary for serving the URM community, and it will significantly reduce the "stigma" associated with African-Americans getting into universities.

And such a solution will also take into account poor non-minority children and disadvantaged children of all races.

Start your e-mail campaigns today. ;)

This thread started with URM interview and ended in Affirmative Action. This is an never ending story and always will be for a long time. I am a URM (African American) and work twice as harder then most of my pre med despite going through worse **** then most of them. However, I still get put down just because I am black, which in my opinions I don't think will never (for a long time) change in the minds of people. Actually URM, we should not look at the stereotypical minds of some individuals and get down, however, we should use these negatives to prove everyone wrong (at least that is what I do).
I just love to see expressions on people faces in class (about two blacks in most of my upper level science classes) when they found out that an inferior made the highest test grade. That always gets them because they think because I look like I don't study and will not do well in my classes despite the fact I am taking 3 upper level science/lab and 2 nonscience.
Sorry for what may seem like bragging but I am tired of these stereotypes that will never end.
People let URM get on their feet mentally and physically so we can compete at a level playing field. AA is helping US recover from 375 years of slavery (African Americans been in the US for 400 years) and legalized discrimination we have been on this continent. Let us finally get the oppurtunity that God give us, some you people don't know what its like growing up in a country that still thinks that you are inferior.
Love, Peace, and Chicken grease:laugh:

Raptor,

I don't disagree with you one bit that it's not fair that people look at you and assume that you're not as qualified as them.

You mentioned that you've been through worse $hit than any of the other students. I'm taking that to mean that you had a harder than normal upbringing and/or lower financial circumstances?

This is why modifying Affirmative Action to take into account a person's socio-economic status, instead of their race, would only help.

If such a law existed, not only would it help you (and other African-Americans) to a greater extent, but it would also reduce the stigma of being an African-American in the current educational system (i.e., people thinking that you only got into school because of your race)! And as long as the current law enforces that Admissions standards are lowered for race-only, then people will continue to think this. A modification to the law is a win-win situation for everyone.

Love, Peace, and Chicken grease ;)

This thread started with URM interview and ended in Affirmative Action. This is an never ending story and always will be for a long time. I am a URM (African American) and work twice as harder then most of my pre med despite going through worse **** then most of them. However, I still get put down just because I am black, which in my opinions I don't think will never (for a long time) change in the minds of people. Actually URM, we should not look at the stereotypical minds of some individuals and get down, however, we should use these negatives to prove everyone wrong (at least that is what I do).
I just love to see expressions on people faces in class (about two blacks in most of my upper level science classes) when they found out that an inferior made the highest test grade. That always gets them because they think because I look like I don't study and will not do well in my classes despite the fact I am taking 3 upper level science/lab and 2 nonscience.
Sorry for what may seem like bragging but I am tired of these stereotypes that will never end.
People let URM get on their feet mentally and physically so we can compete at a level playing field. AA is helping US recover from 375 years of slavery (African Americans been in the US for 400 years) and legalized discrimination we have been on this continent. Let us finally get the oppurtunity that God give us, some you people don't know what its like growing up in a country that still thinks that you are inferior.
Love, Peace, and Chicken grease:laugh:

I understand where you coming from INEEDADVICE, however I feel that changing AA will not solve the problem. Looking at a larger perspective, people will still have the same stereotype about URM. I think the only solution that will solve the "problem" is time.

Can we return to URM interviews please. :mad:

Originally posted by shoeclothes
Can we return to URM interviews please. :mad:

Please!!!!!!!
Even though we have the power to change the system, that change probably will not affect us but probably our children. So AA probably isnt going to change any sooner, solution is if you really want to be a doctor, you will prepare yourself in every way to make yourself successful. :p

Raptor

Originally posted by Raptor
Please!!!!!!!
Even though we have the power to change the system, that change probably will not affect us but probably our children.
If the system were changed sooner, rather than later, then opinions may change as well.

Right now, the overwhelming opinion across the U.S. is that when someone sees a black person get into a top school, it's because of affirmative action.

So when you lament that "people will still have the same stereotype about URM", that's not necessarily true. Those opinions are made worse with the current system of lesser standards for URMs.

More accurate statement: The stereotype is there BECAUSE of lower standards for URMs through AA.

Originally posted by applejuice1979
Hey centrum & everyone else who thinks that URMs are taking "seats" away from them: you are clueless. I happen to know one of the people who said they've been interviewing (hey cbpremed!) & she has worked harder than any other premed I know to earn her place. So please stop assuming that URMs are not qualified to go to medical school or that their heritage makes them a shoe-in for schools or that they do not have the GPA or MCATs! :mad:

What the hell are you talking about dog? I was just kidding. When did I ever state the above? :rolleyes:

Centrum, *I* knew you were just kidding. LOL

Boy, I hope that a year from now I will be able to start/reply to a thread like this telling tales of my interviews. Apparently, I have to apply first :confused: :laugh:

And BTW, I think the sudden turn taken in this thread was exactly why another person (I forget who) posted that follow me to the URM board thread. I hope the day soon comes when URMs can ask each other questions publicly on SDN without an Affirmative Action debate rising. My reason is that this site has the most premeds Ive ever seen online, so when I have questions that can be specifically asked to other URMs (whether it be about historically black schools or whether to wear an afro puff for an interview, or any question which I feel another URM would maybe offer a good perspective on) I will be posting here.

Okay, enough of my babbling, as I am on procrastinating more from studying microbiology.

Oh, one more thing :) Raptor, I feel you. Been there, doing it now :)

Originally posted by NubianPrincess
Centrum, *I* knew you were just kidding. LOL

Sheesh. I am glad someone did. Nubian knows what's up. ;)

Thanks to all who gave congrats. I consider myself blessed. I think it's interesting that you can't have a conversation about interviews without going to the AA debate, just because URMs are involved. That's probably why you don't see more URMs on SDN. It's that competitive pre-med gunner attitude that causes certain people to think that they can't make it in medicine. For real, it needs to cease. Try to increase the peace yall.

can we get back to the URM interviews pls, and all of u that are in the habit of changing thread topics, dont make me come get u!+pissed+
nonsense :mad: :mad:

Originally posted by Centrum
Sheesh. I am glad someone did. Nubian knows what's up. ;)

Movie quote: "What's a nubian?"

Later quote: "What's a nubian? Bitch, you almost made me laugh..."

Name it. :)

-RA

And BTW, I think the sudden turn taken in this thread was exactly why another person (I forget who) posted that follow me to the URM board thread.

I created this thread WHICH WAS RELOCATED TO A NON-ALLO BOARD. Oh well, guess the "majority" didn't find it applicable.

Oh and NubianP...wear the Afro-Puffs...that's an attention-getter and you should expect your acceptance letter within a week!

:clap:

Originally posted by Random Access
Movie quote: "What's a nubian?"

Later quote: "What's a nubian? Bitch, you almost made me laugh..."

Name it. :)

-RA

like duh, Chasing Amy. :)

"......when Vader's beautiful black visage is removed to reveal....a CRUSTY OLD WHITE MAN......THEY TRYIN TA SAY......WE ALL WANTS TO BE WHITE?!?!?!?"

"well.....isn't that true" :laugh:

BTW, I'm interviewing (PhD) at Maryland tomorrow!!:laugh:

I think centrum hit on an interesting point. How else can you explain the millions of americans that spend their time baking their skin to a more attractive shade of brown on the beach or in the countless tanning salons. Or what about the multitudes of MTV inspired urban gangstas that are over-running our most affluent suburban neighborhoods. Do they secretly aspire to be URMs as well?

Anyway, I apologize for changing the topic again. Any URMs (or URM-wannabees) intersted in Pitt please send me a PM.

:p

Originally posted by pathdr2b
BTW, I'm interviewing (PhD) at Maryland tomorrow!!:laugh:

I don't know how I ended up on this thread, but I used to be a student in the Dept. of Pathology at Maryland med! The department's reputation is growing and things are much better organized since Cindy Hollis stepped on board as coordinator. If you run into a 3rd year PhD student named Russell (who also has an MS from the Dept), tell him that Kate NEEDS him to visit her in Boston:D hehe. seriously, best of luck at your interview and any questions about the department please PM me.

Interview was great!!!!!! As Katie said its a good department with solid research. Unfortunately, Maryland has "unofficially" stopped letting their MD/PhD students do their dissertation research at the NIH/NCI :mad: which is a BIG issue for me from many points of view, most especially student stipends.

I'll have to find a program that will let me do my research at NIH/NCI and I know there are a few programs in the area that will which means more interviewing :( . I would have been very happy to "do my thing" at Maryland!!