URM Pharmacy student apply to DO/MD programs?

Started by axelz165
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

axelz165

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm a 3rd year pharmacy student looking to apply to med school once I graduate. I routinely reflect on my decision to go to pharmacy school as the biggest mistake of my life. I don't think I'd be happy the next 40+ years of my life being a pharmacist.

I just wanted some insight on what I'd need to do to strengthen matriculation into a DO/MD school. I'm an URM (black/LGBTQ) and have a decent backstory for my personal statement (parents died from HIV, motivated me into pharmacy. PharmD wont allow me the level of patient involvemnt i want in this field).

My undergrad sGPA: 3.25, cGPA: 3.01, pharmD gpa: ~3.1 once i graduate. I'm looking to get into my state MD schools or DO programs (I live in Florida) and I already attend UF.

What would I need to improve my chances? I don't believe i'd be able to improve my GPA without taking on a SMP (which i'd like to avoid). Would I even have a good chance with these stats? Thanks for any advice.