URM vs. Minority

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mustang0324

buckleman
10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hello avid bloggers,

Being a minority will only give you a shiny star and expose you more than others, but not a guarantee preference of choice.

I think that's pretty obvious for most of us "minorities" at least for me, I don't want to get accepted only because of my "minority" status. I think it is pretty safe to say that, no one on this forum expects to get in med school just because of that.

I'm a newbie here, but I find it strange that URM stands for underrepresented minority, yet it only narrows it to race. Is there anything that goes for gender or is that just not considered a disadvantage?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello avid bloggers,

I have been recently reading various threads about what or who is considered as a URM, minority, and etc.
Keep this in mind, any professional school will look at where you raised (disadvantaged background, city you were born, etc) and will guess if your parents are making 100,000 dollars and above then you are not a URM but a minority. URM is for people who are financial disadvantaged aside from being a minority.
True that if you are a minority, I guess you should take the URM status, although (like I said before) schools will look at that and distinguish between the actual disadvantage versus the advantage. So, don't fall on taking the URM status and hoping that you will get in, make sure to make the cut-off to your school of choice.

Ask yourself this question," if so many minorities make the cut-off line why can't you?"

Being a minority will only give you a shiny star and expose you more than others, but not a guarantee preference of choice.
are you on an admissions committee, mustang?

Or are you just another paranoid premed?

I'm a newbie here, but I find it strange that URM stands for underrepresented minority, yet it only narrows it to race. Is there anything that goes for gender or is that just not considered a disadvantage?
I'm pretty sure women used to be included in this umbrella but now not so much since women have gained an equal footing in admissions.

If my understanding is correct, the designation of URM is an effort to have the number of physicians in the population mirror the population percentages. So while African Americans and certain Hispanic races are in the minority, the percentage of physicians coming from that background is not comparable to the number of AAs or hispanics in the population. That is why certain minority groups aren't included in URM.

Hello avid bloggers,

I have been recently reading various threads about what or who is considered as a URM, minority, and etc.
Keep this in mind, any professional school will look at where you raised (disadvantaged background, city you were born, etc) and will guess if your parents are making 100,000 dollars and above then you are not a URM but a minority. URM is for people who are financial disadvantaged aside from being a minority.
True that if you are a minority, I guess you should take the URM status, although (like I said before) schools will look at that and distinguish between the actual disadvantage versus the advantage. So, don't fall on taking the URM status and hoping that you will get in, make sure to make the cut-off to your school of choice.

Ask yourself this question," if so many minorities make the cut-off line why can't you?"

WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG....urm status is considered independently of socioeconomic status...first off, adcoms dont have access to your financial information until AFTER you have been admitted, so technically admissions are supposed to be need blind...you are right to an extent, adcoms will take your background into account and will consider if you are priviliged or not...i suspect that they will look favorably on a disadvantaged urm who has managed to suceed in the face of adversity...however, having parents who make over 100,000 does not somehow erase your urm status...the mission of most medical schools is to increase urm representation as means of removin health care disparitys...when you realize how small the pool of academically "qualified" (however each individual school deems it) is, then youll recognize that schools dont generally have the leisure or desire to be to discriminant based financial income...and you are COMPLETELY wrong about making a school's "cut off"...first off, how the hell do you know what the "cut off" is...and most schools will tell you up front that they dont have a cut off...and especially if you are a URM, there is no way for you to know what the average/median statistics are for URM admits are...for instance, last yr at Penn the average admit had a 3.8, 35Q...but if you interview there as a URM, they give you a pamphlet that tells you the average URM had 3.6, 32O....now does this mean that ALL URMs scored at or above this number? absolutely not, personally i know a urm that goes there who with a 3.9, 28...point is, you should do your best and not rely on being a URM to get you in...but if your stats do not fall within a schools average, do not be discouraged from applying...stats arent everything and most URMs have something schools are looking for outside of stats...

but if you can get stellar stats (3.8+, 33+) and you are not an *****hole, do so bcuz schools will piss their pants for you :thumbup:

WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG....urm status is considered independently of socioeconomic status...first off, adcoms dont have access to your financial information until AFTER you have been admitted, so technically admissions are supposed to be need blind...you are right to an extent, adcoms will take your background into account and will consider if you are priviliged or not...i suspect that they will look favorably on a disadvantaged urm who has managed to suceed in the face of adversity...however, having parents who make over 100,000 does not somehow erase your urm status...the mission of most medical schools is to increase urm representation as means of removin health care disparitys...when you realize how small the pool of academically "qualified" (however each individual school deems it) is, then youll recognize that schools dont generally have the leisure or desire to be to discriminant based financial income...and you are COMPLETELY wrong about making a school's "cut off"...first off, how the hell do you know what the "cut off" is...and most schools will tell you up front that they dont have a cut off...and especially if you are a URM, there is no way for you to know what the average/median statistics are for URM admits are...for instance, last yr at Penn the average admit had a 3.8, 35Q...but if you interview there as a URM, they give you a pamphlet that tells you the average URM had 3.6, 32O....now does this mean that ALL URMs scored at or above this number? absolutely not, personally i know a urm that goes there who with a 3.9, 28...point is, you should do your best and not rely on being a URM to get you in...but if your stats do not fall within a schools average, do not be discouraged from applying...stats arent everything and most URMs have something schools are looking for outside of stats...

but if you can get stellar stats (3.8+, 33+) and you are not an *****hole, do so bcuz schools will piss their pants for you :thumbup:

No offense, true on some parts what you state and excuse me if I insulted you. However, there are average cut-offs for URM, not trying to contradict on what I am saying, but some medical or dental schools do not have a multicultural affairs program and thus counts the URM student as a typical student. Those schools that do have the MUP will be looked upon differently, however not for others. I know so because I have asked around medical and dental schools. I am pre-dent by the way, I recently switched over from med. I personally know a board member on the admission's committee of Nortwestern and he told me that they look at whether parents had a college degree or not, if not you are considered a bit more thoroughly. If I do recall, you also submit your zip code and address where its upon the applicant to disclose this information to the committee. The committee does look into the demographics of where a person was raised and the like. This is also true for dental applications especially the occupation of the parents.
Also, my cut-offs is the 3.5 GPA with the 30 MCAT score, the average of acceptance and the 3.5 GPA with the 20 DAT score. This is what I am saying.
Next time, be less bashful. Thanks

No offense, true on some parts what you state and excuse me if I insulted you. However, there are average cut-offs for URM, not trying to contradict on what I am saying, but some medical or dental schools do not have a multicultural affairs program and thus counts the URM student as a typical student. Those schools that do have the MUP will be looked upon differently, however not for others. I know so because I have asked around medical and dental schools. I am pre-dent by the way, I recently switched over from med. I personally know a board member on the admission's committee of Nortwestern and he told me that they look at whether parents had a college degree or not, if not you are considered a bit more thoroughly. If I do recall, you also submit your zip code and address where its upon the applicant to disclose this information to the committee. The committee does look into the demographics of where a person was raised and the like. This is also true for dental applications especially the occupation of the parents.
Also, my cut-offs is the 3.5 GPA with the 30 MCAT score, the average of acceptance and the 3.5 GPA with the 20 DAT score. This is what I am saying.
Next time, be less bashful. Thanks

For some reason I still feel like this guy has no valid sources and he's simply trolling to try and get a rise out of us. What Up Doc owned this little clown and now he wants to try and comeback with some senselessness. Learn your lesson homie and realize that you are wrong. There is a difference between claiming URM and claiming disadvantaged.

For some reason I still feel like this guy has no valid sources and he's simply trolling to try and get a rise out of us. What Up Doc owned this little clown and now he wants to try and comeback with some senselessness. Learn your lesson homie and realize that you are wrong. There is a difference between claiming URM and claiming disadvantaged.

I suspect that you have it correct ChemEngMD. This is that time of the year when the URM "trolls" come out in droves. They don't have acceptances and instead of looking at and correcting the problems with their own mediocre work, they come to this forum and attempt to troll.

Hey guys, don't feed the trolls. This forum is not for discussions of "claiming anything" or defining anything. This forum is for "Underrepresented in Healthcare. For racial and ethnic populations that are underrpresentd in the healthcare professions. " My guess is that the people who regularly post in this forum don't need or want definitions so let's chill and let's not feed the troll.

:thumbup::thumbup: disregard

wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong....urm status is considered independently of socioeconomic status...first off, adcoms dont have access to your financial information until after you have been admitted, so technically admissions are supposed to be need blind...you are right to an extent, adcoms will take your background into account and will consider if you are priviliged or not...i suspect that they will look favorably on a disadvantaged urm who has managed to suceed in the face of adversity...however, having parents who make over 100,000 does not somehow erase your urm status...the mission of most medical schools is to increase urm representation as means of removin health care disparitys...when you realize how small the pool of academically "qualified" (however each individual school deems it) is, then youll recognize that schools dont generally have the leisure or desire to be to discriminant based financial income...and you are completely wrong about making a school's "cut off"...first off, how the hell do you know what the "cut off" is...and most schools will tell you up front that they dont have a cut off...and especially if you are a urm, there is no way for you to know what the average/median statistics are for urm admits are...for instance, last yr at penn the average admit had a 3.8, 35q...but if you interview there as a urm, they give you a pamphlet that tells you the average urm had 3.6, 32o....now does this mean that all urms scored at or above this number? Absolutely not, personally i know a urm that goes there who with a 3.9, 28...point is, you should do your best and not rely on being a urm to get you in...but if your stats do not fall within a schools average, do not be discouraged from applying...stats arent everything and most urms have something schools are looking for outside of stats...

But if you can get stellar stats (3.8+, 33+) and you are not an *****hole, do so bcuz schools will piss their pants for you :thumbup:

word!!!

I agree also, and from looking at the OPs original post, he/she has tried to cover their tracks. Let's end this on a good note. Remember everyone, you can report any post by pressing the triangle below their avatar. Closing now.

Status
Not open for further replies.