URMs with great stats

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ebuff

Thou Mayest
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am a URM who has been able to obtain some good stats (3.87, 37) and great ECs. I find myself getting frustrated sometimes when talking about applications with friends. I have been able to go on some great interviews, but whenever I tell anyone my racial background I get the rolling eyes and assumptions that I am playing the race card. Personally, I am uncomfortable with URMs using race as their main hope for getting into medical school. I find it downright offensive when others think that my main qualification and reason for application success is my race. Are there any other URMs with good stats and ECs that are dealing with this? How do you approach the subject with non-URM friends? Good luck to everyone else for the cycle.

Members don't see this ad.

My GPA is definitely lower than yours but my MCAT score is slightly higher. It seems that word got around about me having a high MCAT score (amazing how the grapevine works even once you've left college), so no one really gives me trouble. Sadly, as a precaution, I only approach the subject of med school apps with CLOSE non-URM friends (I learned my lesson while going through the college app process). What makes it worse is that I'm actually bi-racial, and whenever I've had these kinds of issues in the past, it was always with someone of the non-URM race.

I'm sure there are people who are using their minority status as a crutch (just look at previous threads people have started about whether or not they should apply this cycle based on whether or not they will be considered a URM). However, the general consensus, especially in the UIH forum, is to do as well as you can on everything (GPA, MCAT, EC's) regardless of your race.

I think the main things to remember are:
1) You will not know the exact reasons why a school accepted you.
2) Regardless of whatever reasons they did accept you, and regardless of why other people think you're doing well in this process, YOU know that you've achieved a lot and that you are well prepared to succeed in med school. Don't ever forget that.

I know its frustrating Ebuff but I wouldnt worry about it...I think I must have only associated myself with more tolerant people in undergrad, cause no one ever questioned my qualifications (also, it was only my gf who knew only my MCAT score, so i guess people were left only with an imagination). I definitely came across this in high school though, so maybe I also made sure to keep my mouth extra shut for medical school. Unfortunately, you will come across people that think URM status is the reason you got into school, no matter what your numbers are. Just remember to take the high road, dont pay them any mind, and know that if you get into school, you DESERVE to be there.

I have asked some of my non-URM friends why people would feel like this, and one girl in my class said "some people are just bitter and find reasons to justify why they didnt do better". In reality, URM's make up probably 15% of every medical school class at best, while in the general population, those who would be considered URMs in this process is closer to 30%. So, if you ELIMINATED URM status and made every med school class reflect the general population, there would be less spots for non-URMs! This is an issue that always irked me, and to me is a closet form of prejudice, but thats the way it is apparently...

You have numbers that make you competitive for even Harvard and JHU, so take pride in that. Very few people period applying to med school can say that, so just know that you are qualified enough for it. If someone says to you, "youre just getting that interview since you are a URM" just smile, say "yup" and walk away. Its sad to say, but in any other system people could propose, there would be less minorities getting into medicine. Dont regard them, do your thing and be proud that you were able to have such a great chance to get it! I personally know PLENTY of URM's that can't get into medical school; they are plenty selective with us too, believe me.

And even if you do play the race card, so what? I'm definitely not okay with using my race to get me ahead in anything if im not qualified for it, but if I am, its usually an asset in relating to people. Remember, 30 years ago our parents had to scratch and claw to go to college much less medical school, so a few qualified minorities getting some help here and there really doesnt hurt your non-URM eye rollers at all. Why aren't they rolling their eyes at another non-URM at these interviews??? A little prejudice anyone...? Whatever. In the end, someone who was part of the 85% is more likely to affect their chances at that precious spot than one of the 15% (around 5.5 times more likely to be exact :laugh:).

Members don't see this ad :)
You will definitely get the "its only because you are an URM" phrase thrown at you, but like MSK said, you just have to ignore them. Many URMs do benefit from their race, but medical schools will still only let people in that they know can make it through. Our dean (and our school is notorious for its low URM numbers, but that is besides the point) said that he was sure that people with MCAT scores as low as a 24 could make it through medical school. Its challenging, but scores aren't everything. You are certainly blessed to not have to worry about the scores. I just encourage you to be humble about your scores, and don't let people drag you into the numbers game. You are more than your MCAT and your GPA, and you should let that shine during your interviews. Plus, once you are in, MCATs are history. I know a couple of people who had MCAT scores that would have destroyed mine, who had a serious wake up call after our first test. Just like in college, you start over here in medical school. Don't worry about those folks...be you, be humble and let your performance in medical school speak louder than their words.

My GPA is definitely lower than yours but my MCAT score is slightly higher. It seems that word got around about me having a high MCAT score (amazing how the grapevine works even once you've left college), so no one really gives me trouble. Sadly, as a precaution, I only approach the subject of med school apps with CLOSE non-URM friends (I learned my lesson while going through the college app process). What makes it worse is that I'm actually bi-racial, and whenever I've had these kinds of issues in the past, it was always with someone of the non-URM race.

I'm sure there are people who are using their minority status as a crutch (just look at previous threads people have started about whether or not they should apply this cycle based on whether or not they will be considered a URM). However, the general consensus, especially in the UIH forum, is to do as well as you can on everything (GPA, MCAT, EC's) regardless of your race.

I think the main things to remember are:
1) You will not know the exact reasons why a school accepted you.
2) Regardless of whatever reasons they did accept you, and regardless of why other people think you're doing well in this process, YOU know that you've achieved a lot and that you are well prepared to succeed in med school. Don't ever forget that.

I know its frustrating Ebuff but I wouldnt worry about it...I think I must have only associated myself with more tolerant people in undergrad, cause no one ever questioned my qualifications (also, it was only my gf who knew only my MCAT score, so i guess people were left only with an imagination). I definitely came across this in high school though, so maybe I also made sure to keep my mouth extra shut for medical school. Unfortunately, you will come across people that think URM status is the reason you got into school, no matter what your numbers are. Just remember to take the high road, dont pay them any mind, and know that if you get into school, you DESERVE to be there.

I have asked some of my non-URM friends why people would feel like this, and one girl in my class said "some people are just bitter and find reasons to justify why they didnt do better". In reality, URM's make up probably 15% of every medical school class at best, while in the general population, those who would be considered URMs in this process is closer to 30%. So, if you ELIMINATED URM status and made every med school class reflect the general population, there would be less spots for non-URMs! This is an issue that always irked me, and to me is a closet form of prejudice, but thats the way it is apparently...

You have numbers that make you competitive for even Harvard and JHU, so take pride in that. Very few people period applying to med school can say that, so just know that you are qualified enough for it. If someone says to you, "youre just getting that interview since you are a URM" just smile, say "yup" and walk away. Its sad to say, but in any other system people could propose, there would be less minorities getting into medicine. Dont regard them, do your thing and be proud that you were able to have such a great chance to get it! I personally know PLENTY of URM's that can't get into medical school; they are plenty selective with us too, believe me.

And even if you do play the race card, so what? I'm definitely not okay with using my race to get me ahead in anything if im not qualified for it, but if I am, its usually an asset in relating to people. Remember, 30 years ago our parents had to scratch and claw to go to college much less medical school, so a few qualified minorities getting some help here and there really doesnt hurt your non-URM eye rollers at all. Why aren't they rolling their eyes at another non-URM at these interviews??? A little prejudice anyone...? Whatever. In the end, someone who was part of the 85% is more likely to affect their chances at that precious spot than one of the 15% (around 5.5 times more likely to be exact :laugh:).

You will definitely get the "its only because you are an URM" phrase thrown at you, but like MSK said, you just have to ignore them. Many URMs do benefit from their race, but medical schools will still only let people in that they know can make it through. Our dean (and our school is notorious for its low URM numbers, but that is besides the point) said that he was sure that people with MCAT scores as low as a 24 could make it through medical school. Its challenging, but scores aren't everything. You are certainly blessed to not have to worry about the scores. I just encourage you to be humble about your scores, and don't let people drag you into the numbers game. You are more than your MCAT and your GPA, and you should let that shine during your interviews. Plus, once you are in, MCATs are history. I know a couple of people who had MCAT scores that would have destroyed mine, who had a serious wake up call after our first test. Just like in college, you start over here in medical school. Don't worry about those folks...be you, be humble and let your performance in medical school speak louder than their words.

Definitely some great wisdom here! My numbers were just about the same as yours (my MCAT was a bit higher) back when I applied in 1997. When I got into every school that I applied to, many of my "friends" just assumed it was my race that got me in. In truth, I don't know what was the "deciding" factor in my acceptances but I am thankful that I had the opportunity to attend medical school and now to practice medicine.

No one will ask you about your scores or GPA either in medical school or in the practice of medicine. Your patients only want to know what you will do to help them at that moment. Either you have the solutions or you don't. You are going to find that those solutions don't know what color you are. Keep moving forward and do something to keep your sanity in this process. Good luck!

Thanks to everyone for their comments. I do think that most people (especially well educated premeds) are progressive enough to understand the usefullness of diversity in education. Honestly, if I were in the other seat I could see myself being frustrated if someone I thought was less qualified than me was having more success with applications. It is certainly a tricky subject. While my ethinicity is important to me and I intend to represent my community as best possible, I certainly don't want to be put in the box of playing the URM role and exploring only those issues in med school and my career. That has actually been a fear of mine, that schools would look past qualifications/interests and expect me to fit a mold of a URM in medicine. Thankfully, I don't think this is the case. Personally, I am trying to understand the fine line between being proud of who I am and what I represent and being engulfed by it. I would gladly trade any benefits I personally gain from URM status to live in a place where equal representation made the entire issue mute.

:)great thread and words of wisdom everyone!

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

I am a URM who has been able to obtain some good stats (3.87, 37) and great ECs. I find myself getting frustrated sometimes when talking about applications with friends. I have been able to go on some great interviews, but whenever I tell anyone my racial background I get the rolling eyes and assumptions that I am playing the race card. Personally, I am uncomfortable with URMs using race as their main hope for getting into medical school. I find it downright offensive when others think that my main qualification and reason for application success is my race. Are there any other URMs with good stats and ECs that are dealing with this? How do you approach the subject with non-URM friends? Good luck to everyone else for the cycle.

Let them hate! My MCAT is not that high, but I hear you!

this thread is ages old...but i was wondering, and this is probably gonna start a flame war, but just how many urms get into top 10 schools with slightly better than average stats? like, at my school i kno many of my frends, who are predominantly black had SAT scores below 1100...i got 2 a state public scholl where the average sat is about 1300...i have a friend who went to harvard with a 1220...an amazing person who in my mind would have gotten in black or white, but definitely benefited from being black...does this still happen in med school? like, my perception was, if a person is black with no other glaring defiecines (has leadership, has research, has clinical, is personable) and has a 3.8+, 35+ they are pretty much guarenteed admission at at least 1 top 10...but are there urms at top 10's with 3.7, 30+ and otherwise AMAZING backgrounds? serious question here...lol

I dont think you said anything here that you should be flamed for. The thing is, the "help" you get by being URM in the med school process is FAR less than in college...for instance, my little brother went to a top 50 university and had the stats to get in. Another black guy he graduated was pretty much a waste...only played b-ball and football for 4 years, and he was KNOWN not to be a good student, and im sure he did not get a good SAT score. Despite that, he gets accepted along with my brother. It made me kind of mad because when non-URMs say "you just got in because you're black", there's nothing I can say in argument, because that kid in particular DID get in because he was black.

But in med school though, there is undeniably a preference for URMs for several reasons --> mostly stemming from the fact that we are so few in number. But that preference is very slight. If you dont have the numbers and arent in the range they look for, you wont be considered. Despite URM status, if you get in you are competitive, unlike the college anecdote I mentioned. There simply isnt room for anyone who cant hack it being a physician...you'll kill someone if you dont have the talent for this field, literally.

I'm sure there are 3.7, 30+ that get into top 10 schools. When I applied, the Hopkins average was a 33, so having a person with those stats, no matter what culture or race they were, was justified in getting an acceptance to Hopkins when I applied. By the nature of what an average is, you assume approx. half the class of 2010 at JHU has lower than a 33 (assuming median=mean like a standard distrubution). So in general, as long as you are above a 3.6 and a 32 or so, you should be competitive for any school numbers wise, even if you are a non-URM (maybe except those freakish schools like WashU STL or Cornell with those ridic MCAT averages, sheesh).

this thread is ages old...but i was wondering, and this is probably gonna start a flame war, but just how many urms get into top 10 schools with slightly better than average stats? like, at my school i kno many of my frends, who are predominantly black had SAT scores below 1100...i got 2 a state public scholl where the average sat is about 1300...i have a friend who went to harvard with a 1220...an amazing person who in my mind would have gotten in black or white, but definitely benefited from being black...does this still happen in med school? like, my perception was, if a person is black with no other glaring defiecines (has leadership, has research, has clinical, is personable) and has a 3.8+, 35+ they are pretty much guarenteed admission at at least 1 top 10...but are there urms at top 10's with 3.7, 30+ and otherwise AMAZING backgrounds? serious question here...lol
First off, unless you went to Cal, UCLA or Michigan, then your public state school is lying about their SAT averages.And I don't know your friend from Harvard so I don't really care to speculate on how or why he was admitted.

My perception is that if a person has a 3.8/35+ with no other glaring deficiences, than that person has a great chance at scooping up a top 10 acceptance, no matter what ethnicity they are. And there are also non-urms at top 10s with stats of 3.7/30+ and lower. Med school admissions is not as "stat-centered" as this forum makes it out to be. Better yet, life is not as "stat-centered: as this forum makes it out to be.

i agree with you entirely, well almost...

first off, in regards 2 the SAT http://www.uga.umd.edu/admissions/faq/faq_list.asp?iSectionID=1&iGroupID=70&iQuestionID=213
i believe that puts the "median" at 1310? i am not sure if you can make that assumption tho, so i could be wrong...either way, its a stat they are constantly boasting about at orientation meetings and crap and how the mean SAT 1300 yada yada...

but, i was mainly wondering if anyone had any anecdotal stories..some of these, though posted on an anonymous internet forum, can be inspiring, true or false...

life is not *stat-centered*. however, this med school process is almost as inherently evil as it is good. there are so many little intricacies about the system and the game that allow ppl of all ethnicities to get in for sure..be it race, gender, legacy, connections yada yada...

but we have to be honest here, and we know that some urms are made extremely attractive candidates because of their higher than the average urm numbers categories...now this is not to debate wheter or not this is a fair/unfair policy...its just to hear some peoples stories about people they know, may have heard that have the stats i mentioned above and did well...it seems like most urms here have like 3.8, 35+ and statsitically speaking there are like less than 100 of these candidates in the country (okay i pulled that stat out of my arse...dont hate me)...argh....i really dont know how to ask this without sounding like douche...but im really not trying to be...
But we have to be honest here. You are.

Good night good sir.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sweet jellybeans! I love flaahless. :laugh:

lol...as i expected....i dont know why black ppl (even that phrase is inflammatory) who have been succesful in the application process cant give honest advice to others who are trying...ive sat in on several group discussions about affirm. act. and why it is neccesary and nobody gets shy then....but when it comes to openly discussing how and why we are attractive candidates, and how we can use it to our advantage...those who have used it get offended...its almost like it is suppsoed to be some unwrittten policy that doesnt get talked about....cmon yall.....lets not be so idealistic...i know obama is the democratic nomination for president, but dag, america isnt all flowers and roses just yet...

neway,

does anyone know anyone who fits these stats? it might help some ppl, instead of wasting time applying to certain schools they can apply to others where they will be made a more attractive candidate...?

lol...as i expected....i dont know why black ppl (even that phrase is inflammatory) who have been succesful in the application process cant give honest advice to others who are trying...ive sat in on several group discussions about affirm. act. and why it is neccesary and nobody gets shy then....but when it comes to openly discussing how and why we are attractive candidates, and how we can use it to our advantage...those who have used it get offended...its almost like it is suppsoed to be some unwrittten policy that doesnt get talked about....cmon yall.....lets not be so idealistic...i know obama is the democratic nomination for president, but dag, america isnt all flowers and roses just yet...

neway,

does anyone know anyone who fits these stats? it might help some ppl, instead of wasting time applying to certain schools they can apply to others where they will be made a more attractive candidate...?

It's hard to figure out exactly what your motives are. I think anyone with those stats would be attractive from a numbers stand point. Everything is not about race.

neway,

Riddle me this: why do you substitute normal punctuation with gratuitous use of ellipses?

Honestly dude, I'm gonna have to side with flaahless here. I know you aren't being malicious and don't see why your question can be construed as slightly insulting. However, it's a form of Plurium Interrogationum. Look it up.

Real talk here: try your best, stay humble, and be wise.

Riddle me this: why do you substitute normal punctuation with gratuitous use of ellipses?

Honestly dude, I'm gonna have to side with flaahless here. I know you aren't being malicious and don't see why your question can be construed as slightly insulting. However, it's a form of Plurium Interrogationum. Look it up.

Real talk here: try your best, stay humble, and be wise.

aw, man, cmon dude...dont tell me your come at me for my grammar on an anonymous online forum...i can write "good" if i choose to (didnt mean to end with a preposition, hope that duzent (sp) offend anyone)....but this is the way i have typed online since i was in the 7th grade...if you want me to write an essay with proper spelling, grammar, and mechanics, then i am sorry but i am gonna have to say that i choose not to (dayum, another preposition!)....i dont think ne1 is having a hard to understanding what i am saying, and if you do, you need to read more close (or do i mean closely, adverb rite?)

lol....okay, now i prolly look like a smart$$ but i tend to have a dry, if not annoying sense of humour (british, ne brits in the house) sumtimes...but im a good guy trust..lol...

do i really need to have a motive to ask my question? if you know of such ppl that i am talking about, then post, if not, then why get mad? why post at all? i jus got off the phone with the office of multicultural affairs at a top 20 school and when i asked them if i was favorable applicant, before they answered they asked me what my ethnicity was...so clearly its important...

i am not pressed on getting into a top 10, itd be nice, but i am really more interested in scholarships cuz money is a real issue for me, as im sure it is for every1 else, but i would turn down, i think, a very good school for a less known name school and a scholarship (i think this may change)...

Plurium Interrogationum....im too lazy or indifferent to look this up but i think it means a trick question or sumthin...or a question that is trying to evoke sum type of negative answer or sumthin...not my intentions at all...

"try ur best, stay humble, be wise"....great words of advice for a motivational speech or maybe an admissions essay...but those all involve some sort of strategy too....my asking this question is a form of me trying my best, to learn as much about this process as possible...

neway,

And how do you know who used it? See dawg, you're coming off real bogus right now.

Anyways, I'm not afraid to talk about anything. Don't trip. But I won't discredit the accomplishments of someone by speculating that their success was due to their ethnicity. And to assume that everyone of color benefitted from AA is absurd. Some schools take it into consideration, some don't. No one got in simply because they were black. Black people aren't that damn hard to find, and if schools have as voracious an appetite for us as this site leads me to believe, then our numbers should be much higher. Is there a discrepency in the MCAT score, absolutely. Does that mean there is a clear cut advantage or that being black will be a instrumental to your success, it depends on where you apply.

How can you use your ethnicity to your advantage?

1. Apply to schools with an explicit goal of increasing ethnic diversity.
2. Network within your ethnic community.
3. Discuss how your cultural experiences will enrich the med school class and the profession.

2 and 3 helped me more than my skin color.

You want anectdotal stories of urms that have succeeded with good but not spectacular stats, browse mdapps.

Anyways, here are a few.

I have a friend that got into UCLA with a 25, I have another friend that was rejected from Howard with a 25. The first friend is white, the second is black. Go figure.

aw, man, cmon dude...dont tell me your come at me for my grammar on an anonymous online forum...i can write "good" if i choose to (didnt mean to end with a preposition, hope that duzent (sp) offend anyone)....but this is the way i have typed online since i was in the 7th grade...if you want me to write an essay with proper spelling, grammar, and mechanics, then i am sorry but i am gonna have to say that i choose not to (dayum, another preposition!)....i dont think ne1 is having a hard to understanding what i am saying, and if you do, you need to read more close (or do i mean closely, adverb rite?)

lol....okay, now i prolly look like a smart$$ but i tend to have a dry, if not annoying sense of humour (british, ne brits in the house) sumtimes...but im a good guy trust..lol...

do i really need to have a motive to ask my question? if you know of such ppl that i am talking about, then post, if not, then why get mad? why post at all? i jus got off the phone with the office of multicultural affairs at a top 20 school and when i asked them if i was favorable applicant, before they answered they asked me what my ethnicity was...so clearly its important...

i am not pressed on getting into a top 10, itd be nice, but i am really more interested in scholarships cuz money is a real issue for me, as im sure it is for every1 else, but i would turn down, i think, a very good school for a less known name school and a scholarship (i think this may change)...

Plurium Interrogationum....im too lazy or indifferent to look this up but i think it means a trick question or sumthin...or a question that is trying to evoke sum type of negative answer or sumthin...not my intentions at all...

"try ur best, stay humble, be wise"....great words of advice for a motivational speech or maybe an admissions essay...but those all involve some sort of strategy too....my asking this question is a form of me trying my best, to learn as much about this process as possible...
Again man, it depends on the school.

Real talk. If you are trying to get scholarship dough, don't depend or rely on your ethnicity. Some schools kick their urm students down with scholarships. Again, apply to schools with the explicit goal to increase diversity in the profession.

Anyways, being urm may get you a partial, but if you want a full scholarship you're going to need something extra. The people I know that received full scholarships were very compelling applicants. Whether it was their stats, life stories, experiences, research etc... they had something incredible going for them..

And how do you know who used it? See dawg, you're coming off real bogus right now.

Anyways, I'm not afraid to talk about anything. Don't trip. But I won't discredit the accomplishments of someone by speculating that their success was due to their ethnicity. And to assume that everyone of color benefitted from AA is absurd. Some schools take it into consideration, some don't. No one got in simply because they were black. Black people aren't that damn hard to find, and if schools have as voracious an appetite for us as this site leads me to believe, then our numbers should be much higher. Is there a discrepency in the MCAT score, absolutely. Does that mean there is a clear cut advantage or that being black will be a instrumental to your success, it depends on where you apply.

How can you use your ethnicity to your advantage?

1. Apply to schools with an explicit goal of increasing ethnic diversity.
2. Network within your ethnic community.
3. Discuss how your cultural experiences will enrich the med school class and the profession.

2 and 3 helped me more than my skin color.

You want anectdotal stories of urms that have succeeded with good but not spectacular stats, browse mdapps.

Anyways, here are a few.

I have a friend that got into UCLA with a 25, I have another friend that was rejected from Howard with a 25. The first friend is white, the second is black. Go figure.

cmon man dont misconstrue...i never suggested nor implied this...trust me i kno...there is report on JSTOR and an article on the Washington post that stated that only 72 african americans scored the score i did on the SAT when applying to undergrad...even with my perfect gpa and padded resume i was still rejected from harvard (our salutorian who had less stats than me and was indian got in) so believe me i am humbled and i dont expect ANYTHING to be handed to me...nor do i think that anyone who has garnered an acceptance to university should have that accomplishment discredited by suggesting that it was only cuz of their race....and i kno there are non urms with lower mcat scores and gpas at great schools who probably got great scholarships...the ER doc i shadow went to hopkins back in the day with a 27, and no1 is gonna say he doesnt deserve it...but i am not asking about non-urms...if i were, then i would have asked that question instead...

besides that, you have good advice, which is almost common sense, but again, im looking for anecdotes of specific....

Black people aren't that damn hard to find, and if schools have as voracious an appetite for us as this site leads me to believe, then our numbers should be much higher.

i beg to differ...but that is just my opinion...

Last edited:
I was thinking PhD for a bit while getting my grad degree but in the process of attaining my grad degree I met adcom members at research conferences from different med schools and got some information that will help clear up your questions. Minorities in this nation are mostly poor and living in areas where education is just horrible due to crime, poverty, and corruption of the area. Statistically minorities due horrible on the SATs ( as well as the MCATs) compared to the majority population in the US. On top of that even when minorities get accepted to college a good majority of them drop out because either their high school couldn't prepare them for college or they believed they just couldn't hack it due to social pressures in their previous environment or current environment. When I started undergrad in 1999 about over 50% of the minority incoming class dropped out and that was considered good at the time cuz at other colleges the dropout percentage was much higher!!! So getting a minority to over come high school and do well in college is a rarity in this country. Now to get a minority applicant into med school is even a greater rarity. You could only imagine what most minority students have to overcome to make it that far. Thats why other minorities on this page get upset when you talk about it like special preference because it is so DAMN hard just to make it to that point of being accepted into a medical school. Some minorities have to struggle to apply just to be rejected, I mean raising a kid on your own working two jobs ,no money to help with mcat studying from kaplan, notime to do vounteer work or research or clincial exposure due to having to work all the time yet still trying to chase their dream.
here are some more stats for you, they might a bit old but the average mcat score for African Americans was an 18 or 19, for the overall average was 24. Thats a 6 to 5 point difference. If a minority was making a 25 or 26 that time and you added 5 or 6 points it would be near the average right? what about the correlation with mcat score to board score? I know of a lot of minorities in their residency program now who got accepted with mcat scores between 24 and 26 who smashed the board exams I mean 230 and higher. It further proved somewhat that environment was the key factor as into why minorities score low on standardized test like the MCAT and is part of the reason why there is somewhat of a leniency on the mcat scores to minority applicants. At the same time there is no minority that I know of who was accepted with an mcat score of 21 or lower at an allopathic school so there is a leniency but not much! same goes with gpa but I aint gonna go to much in depth with that.
Now are there minority students who don't have to struggle at all and get in by not working hard as others by using this leniency to their advantage? Yes but statistically a minority applicant whose family is well off is also a rarity but ti happens but for the most part the leniency given is valid. To fix this problem minorities face you will have to revamp the educational system in the ghettos of America to prepare minorities for college properly, Remove crime as well for a multitude of reasons, get minorities jobs and off of welfare, and this list goes on and on. you say that your british so Im assuming you haven't been exposed to the US too much but atlest understand this. As a minority, no as a black man in this country it is not easy. being a minority is hard enough but being black and male makes it worse! Look at the stats as well for black matriculants, you will see it their. Black males in medical school are rare second to native Americans as a whole. So I tip my hat to RandomblackmanX, flaahless, and the minority ladies in this forum like lovelyMD and wutwinb. I hope you had time to read my novel yall and I hope my two cents help it helps

I was thinking PhD for a bit while getting my grad degree but in the process of attaining my grad degree I met adcom members at research conferences from different med schools and got some information that will help clear up your questions. Minorities in this nation are mostly poor and living in areas where education is just horrible due to crime, poverty, and corruption of the area. Statistically minorities due horrible on the SATs ( as well as the MCATs) compared to the majority population in the US. On top of that even when minorities get accepted to college a good majority of them drop out because either their high school couldn't prepare them for college or they believed they just couldn't hack it due to social pressures in their previous environment or current environment. When I started undergrad in 1999 about over 50% of the minority incoming class dropped out and that was considered good at the time cuz at other colleges the dropout percentage was much higher!!! So getting a minority to over come high school and do well in college is a rarity in this country. Now to get a minority applicant into med school is even a greater rarity. You could only imagine what most minority students have to overcome to make it that far. Thats why other minorities on this page get upset when you talk about it like special preference because it is so DAMN hard just to make it to that point of being accepted into a medical school. Some minorities have to struggle to apply just to be rejected, I mean raising a kid on your own working two jobs ,no money to help with mcat studying from kaplan, notime to do vounteer work or research or clincial exposure due to having to work all the time yet still trying to chase their dream.
here are some more stats for you, they might a bit old but the average mcat score for African Americans was an 18 or 19, for the overall average was 24. Thats a 6 to 5 point difference. If a minority was making a 25 or 26 that time and you added 5 or 6 points it would be near the average right? what about the correlation with mcat score to board score? I know of a lot of minorities in their residency program now who got accepted with mcat scores between 24 and 26 who smashed the board exams I mean 230 and higher. It further proved somewhat that environment was the key factor as into why minorities score low on standardized test like the MCAT and is part of the reason why there is somewhat of a leniency on the mcat scores to minority applicants. At the same time there is no minority that I know of who was accepted with an mcat score of 21 or lower at an allopathic school so there is a leniency but not much! same goes with gpa but I aint gonna go to much in depth with that.
Now are there minority students who don't have to struggle at all and get in by not working hard as others by using this leniency to their advantage? Yes but statistically a minority applicant whose family is well off is also a rarity but ti happens but for the most part the leniency given is valid. To fix this problem minorities face you will have to revamp the educational system in the ghettos of America to prepare minorities for college properly, Remove crime as well for a multitude of reasons, get minorities jobs and off of welfare, and this list goes on and on. you say that your british so Im assuming you haven't been exposed to the US too much but atlest understand this. As a minority, no as a black man in this country it is not easy. being a minority is hard enough but being black and male makes it worse! Look at the stats as well for black matriculants, you will see it their. Black males in medical school are rare second to native Americans as a whole. So I tip my hat to RandomblackmanX, flaahless, and the minority ladies in this forum like lovelyMD and wutwinb. I hope you had time to read my novel yall and I hope my two cents help it helps

great post man...im sure ppl appreciate it...the things of which you speak i am fully aware....it is also my experience that most minorities in college (at least mine) are not those of the lower socioeconomic status and most a lot seemed to go to school with all white ppl!

i agree with most everything u said, save for the fact that it almost implies that middle class blacks should not benefit from racially cautious admissions...that is a whole another argument, for another thread...

ofcourse ive looked at the stats for black matriculants....but these arent specficic and do nothing to help me understand much...also, it says nothing about scholarships...i hate the fact that this process has this clandestine mystique about it and that when you ask any questions to penetrate the system you get answers like *be yourself and try your best*...my dad has been tellin me that since i was a kid! i need tangible advice and evidence.

i really am not looking to have ppl pick sides on who is right or wrong on this issue....if you read the first post of this thread, which i didnt even start, you will see the motive behind the posts in it, and not just mine alone

oh ye, im not british, didnt mean to imply that...i was just bein a smart arse

great post man...im sure ppl appreciate it...the things of which you speak i am fully aware....it is also my experience that most minorities in college (at least mine) are not those of the lower socioeconomic status and most a lot seemed to go to school with all white ppl!

i agree with most everything u said, save for the fact that it almost implies that middle class blacks should not benefit from racially cautious admissions...that is a whole another argument, for another thread...

ofcourse ive looked at the stats for black matriculants....but these arent specficic and do nothing to help me understand much...also, it says nothing about scholarships...i hate the fact that this process has this clandestine mystique about it and that when you ask any questions to penetrate the system you get answers like *be yourself and try your best*...my dad has been tellin me that since i was a kid! i need tangible advice and evidence.

i really am not looking to have ppl pick sides on who is right or wrong on this issue....if you read the first post of this thread, which i didnt even start, you will see the motive behind the posts in it, and not just mine alone

oh ye, im not british, didnt mean to imply that...i was just bein a smart arse

If you are looking for scholarships for med school there are two ways to get it. from whats posted out there for any matriculating student to get based on of course certain conditions or none at all and the financial resources of your medical school (whether they chose to use it for scholarships or not) and how much the school wants to recruit minorities (or just want you in particular based on your application and merits.) Now are there med schools that tell you your going to get scholarships if you get in to their med school? HELLL NO! thats illegeal. you apply then they choose to give it to you or not. Some medschools make sure all minorities are taking care of financially and some don't. If your a minority and they want u really bad they will give you a full tuition scholarship. If they just think you will be great in the class you wont get a full tuition scholarship. Vanderbilt a school that does this amongst others. You sorta have to sell your self. If they see you as a person that can help their medical school class become culturally rounded to the point where any of there med students who know you really well can practice in your hometown with ease they will definetly want you but that all comes back to selling yourself. Are you a guy that will be friendly, help others in the class, teach them about where you come from and how to handle minority patients? If they can say yes to all these things and your qualified academically you will get a scholarship because med schools will compete for you! every medical school gives out scholarships that are partial and full tuition. It all depends on who they want to give it to and how much scholarship money they have. Some schools are known give out more than others. IF you want a list of schools where I know of people who have gotten full scholarships and are minorities the list is a big list but it doesn't mean you are going to get one. It basically is apply and be yourself and see how lucky you get. Talk to medical schools you are interested in and the minority affairs offices of those schools and see what the are willing to tell you. I can tell you this though, nobody is gonna tell you " apply here and when and if you get in your guaranteed scholarship money". like flaahless said network, talk to people at the medical school (minority medical students and minority affairs administrators) and see what happens and I think you should start with flaahless. he has gotten great offers from some great medical schools.

Last edited:

neway,

^^^I skimmed that diatribe that you just composed, and I'm not sure of your point. I never added my opinion on this topic; I merely giggled at the comedic brilliance that IS flaahless. :love:

Lol.... What Up Doc. I don't even really understand WHAT you're asking.... and first it was about URMS with above average stats, then something about scholarships, then you threw something in about Barack Obama (and I'm going to ask that you not use his name in vain :laugh:)and now you seem to be questioning the validity of affirmative action, so I guess we're finally getting to the real issue?

Honestly, nobody here knows WHAT your stats are, so it would be really hard to give you any type of specific advice... especially since its not clear what you're asking. Nobody can tell you what schools to apply to.... but those who took the time to respond to you have given have done very well this process and have given you good advice, so I would just take it and leave. As for the scholarship thing, there are certain schools that are good with giving merit-based scholarships across the board and some that not. NONE of us here are on an admissions committee so we can't tell you what you're gonna get.

4.0 GPA/40 MCAT or not, and whether you're white, black, Samoan, or Negrito, this process is crap shoot.... no matter what ethnicity you are. So just try hard and hope for the best.... thats what we all did.

Lol.... What Up Doc. I don't even really understand WHAT you're asking.... and first it was about URMS with above average stats, then something about scholarships, then you threw something in about Barack Obama (and I'm going to ask that you not use his name in vain :laugh:)and now you seem to be questioning the validity of affirmative action, so I guess we're finally getting to the real issue?

Honestly, nobody here knows WHAT your stats are, so it would be really hard to give you any type of specific advice... especially since its not clear what you're asking. Nobody can tell you what schools to apply to.... but those who took the time to respond to you have given have done very well this process and have given you good advice, so I would just take it and leave. As for the scholarship thing, there are certain schools that are good with giving merit-based scholarships across the board and some that not. NONE of us here are on an admissions committee so we can't tell you what you're gonna get.

4.0 GPA/40 MCAT or not, and whether you're white, black, Samoan, or Negrito, this process is crap shoot.... no matter what ethnicity you are. So just try hard and hope for the best.... thats what we all did.

if u read my first post, its pretty clear what i was asking..but then i got side tracked by responding and attempting to be a smart ass....

basically, i was wondering if ne1 had ne personal stories of urms with 3.8+/30's at top 10s...then i wanted 2 kno about scholarships for these students at said schools....i kno sum sensetive person will be like *OFCOURSE THERE ARE, JUST LIKE THERE ARE WHITE PPL WITH THESE STATS TOO*...but im not white, and if white person wants to know about these ppl they should have a right to ask too...

funny how you suggest that i am questioning the validity of affirmative action....i didnt bring up affirmative action for one thing, as i am aware that affirmative action debates are not for this forum, and belong in the all allopathic one...some people were pushing it that way, but if i wanted 2 debate affirmative action id go elsewhere....and LMAO if u think i am anti-affirmative action, i happen to sit on a commitee that discusses affirmative action and i am an AVID supporter so chill out, u dont kno me...

and yes, ppl can tell u what schools to apply to...they cant guarantee nething...but they can tell u what their experience was at the school and you can compare their background with your own and go from there...isnt that what the point of an ANONYMOUS online forum is ? if u were 2 say, *i am black with a 3.8+, 30+ mcat with a balanced app and i applied 2 *school X* and was offered X amount of money, but i applied to so and so school and got nothing* perhaps i would be more inclined to apply 2 school X instead....not 2 say i would elimninate the other school...but at least it would help...and ultimately..that is what i was asking for, help...

^^^I skimmed that diatribe that you just composed, and I'm not sure of your point. I never added my opinion on this topic; I merely giggled at the comedic brilliance that IS flaahless. Student Doctor Network Forums - Reply to Topic:love:

Dr.P....if u read my post instead of skimming, perhaps you would have seen there was a question at the bottom that perhaps you would have an answer too instead of swooning over flaahless....i guess im supposed to be the antagonist here, a role which, i didnt want to have, but, neverthless, have no problem being haha...dude calls me a douche bag and u think he is brilliant for that? gimme a break

I really don't think that we can help you. I know a variety of urms with similar stats that applied to the same schools and some got tons of scholarships and others didn't. The only school that I know of that consistently tries to give money to its URM students is Baylor (I believe they give most URMs a scholarship automatically). Also there are schools out there that don't typically give out merit scholarships (just need based aid) but might give you more money if you beg their Office of Diversity/Minority Affairs. Columbia is one school that comes to mind.

Other than that its a toss up. You really have to have some kind of selling point or hook for med schools to want to give you scholarship money. Or simply be amazing in all respects. Also, the type of evidence or anecdotes you're looking for doesn't take into account the amount of hustle people may do to get that scholarship. That includes writing/begging the Deans and Offices of Diversity/Financial Aid for more money.

Below is a list of schools that some fellow URMs (including myself) and Non-URMs that I know of have gotten some non-need based scholarship money.

Baylor
Northwestern
University of Michigan
University of Chicago
Vanderbilt
USC
University of Pennsylvania
Emory
Jefferson

Dr.P....if u read my post instead of skimming, perhaps you would have seen there was a question at the bottom that perhaps you would have an answer too instead of swooning over flaahless....i guess im supposed to be the antagonist here, a role which, i didnt want to have, but, neverthless, have no problem being haha...dude calls me a douche bag and u think he is brilliant for that? gimme a break

Actually, he merely confirmed that you are a douche bag despite your musings that you were not. Add that to his closing line of "good night, sir" plus the avi pic of your man nipples, and I giggled a bit. :oops:

I have no opinion on whether or not you are indeed a bag of douche, but you do remind me of this Nigerian pre-med (gunner) guy I know. :laugh: He was arguing about a similar subject a few days ago. :laugh:

Even after reading your posts instead of skimming, I still don't get your point. It seems that you think a certain gpa plus a certain MCAT plus being a URM will automatically get you an acceptance (let alone a scholarship). I think that's being a bit too presumptuous on your part. Additionally, I don't think you are taking to account differences in ECs, LORs, quality of essays, and interview skills which would earn or not earn someone a scholarship. :love:

Actually, he merely confirmed that you are a douche bag despite your musings that you were not. Add that to his closing line of "good night, sir" plus the avi pic of your man nipples, and I giggled a bit. :oops:

I have no opinion on whether or not you are indeed a bag of douche, but you do remind me of this Nigerian pre-med (gunner) guy I know. :laugh: He was arguing about a similar subject a few days ago. :laugh:

Even after reading your posts instead of skimming, I still don't get your point. It seems that you think a certain gpa plus a certain MCAT plus being a URM will automatically get you an acceptance (let alone a scholarship). I think that's being a bit too presumptuous on your part. Additionally, I don't think you are taking to account differences in ECs, LORs, quality of essays, and interview skills which would earn or not earn someone a scholarship. :love:

lool...okay if u think ima douche for my avatar so be it...hate is the new love neway...:laugh:

im not a gunner...i dont do nething i can to get ahead...there are more important things in my life than getting admission to medical school....i try to help any and everyone i can with this process and i dont give other ppl flak when they ask for advice...i think bashing on somebody for asking for help is more characteristic of a gunner...

the fact that you brought up the fact that i am nigerian without me even mentioning it tells me you a preconcieved notion about me (us) that may be good or bad (im assuming bad) and that is unfortunate bcuz i am a good guy...and so are a lot of my nigerian friends and relatives...

im sorry ur having a hard time understanding my question. maybe its bcuz u dont know the answer..but ive gotten a couple very helpful pms that have done a great job of giving me some help and answering my questions, so im grateful....

and i am not asking about ECs bcuz my ECs are strong...im not askin about interviews bcuz u practice that, and not on an anonymou forum...im a pretty good interviewer neway and ill get feedback from ppl who give two sh*ts about me in real life...not from condescending anonymous online premeds

anyhow does nebody have ne more stories about their experience with scholarships...urms with the stats mentioned above and their acceptances to med skools?

Last edited:
^Hilarious response. :laugh: I did not say that you were a douche for your avi pic, dude. I was merely explaining why I felt the situation and flaahless' joke was funny. You seem overly sensitive, my man. :love:

I have yet to state my opinion of you, but I will do so now...you come off as very arrogant, but extremely insecure (judging by the way you take every comment/joke as a slight against you.) I don't feel negatively towards you, however. :)

And excuse my anecdote about you reminding me of another URM that I happen to know (who I find entertaining as well). :laugh: My apologies for mentioning that he was a Black URM (i.e. Nigerian) that expressed similar concerns as yourself. :rolleyes: It seemed relevant (because we were discussing URMs so to qualify that he was in your same position; I was gonna elaborate on his findings later). I didn't know you were Nigerian and to be perfectly honest, I don't care. You're making a big deal out of nothing, and I don't give a damn what the word "akatha" mans, but thanks for sharing the vocabulary of your culture's language with me. :)

Maybe you ARE the dude that I know. :eek:

^Hilarious response. :laugh: I did not say that you were a douche for your avi pic, dude. I was merely explaining why I felt the situation and flaahless' joke was funny. You seem overly sensitive, my man. :love:

I have yet to state my opinion of you, but I will do so now...you come off as very arrogant, but extremely insecure (judging by the way you take every comment/joke as a slight against you.) I don't feel negatively towards you, however. :)

And excuse my anecdote about you reminding me of another URM that I happen to know (who I find entertaining as well). :laugh: My apologies for mentioning that he was a Black URM (i.e. Nigerian) that expressed similar concerns as yourself. :rolleyes: It seemed relevant (because we were discussing URMs so to qualify that he was in your same position; I was gonna elaborate on his findings later). I didn't know you were Nigerian and to be perfectly honest, I don't care. You're making a big deal out of nothing, and I don't give a damn what the word "akatha" mans, but thanks for sharing the vocabulary of your culture's language with me. :)

Maybe you ARE the dude that I know. :eek:

lmaaaooo....u are actually kind of funny, dudette.

i highly doubt that i am this nigerian of whom u speak bcuz i dont talk about **** like this in real life...i have tact, and i kno these conversations are taboo and i am not stupid...

lmao if u think u can judge my level of self-security by a couple post i made on an online forum..haha u think i lose sleep over what u say? im still getting into medical school...i can dunk a basketball and i got laid inbetween my last post...my momma loves me....and i jus got a nice pair of seven jeans on ebay....haha u can call me arrogant and insecure...u dont kno me, and ur entitled 2 ur opinion...im not sure where u get the arrogance from as i havent really said nething about myself or my credentials in this thread (unless ofcourse u were stalking my previous posts, kindergarten crush perhaps?:laugh:) but i wont call you arrogant or insecure tho bcuz i think actions speak louder than words...

and are u purposely trying 2 side-track this thread?

perhaps ppl who have positive advice/suggestions/anecdotes should post instead....

Quote:
Originally Posted by What up doc
i feel you mayne (no homo)....

i mean c'mon yall...you know you salivated when you saw the avatar...mcat studying is NOTHING compared to maintaining this :bow:

Nice nipples. ;)

ha...ha....ha....ha

u want me:biglove:

Are there any other URMs with good stats and ECs that are dealing with this? How do you approach the subject with non-URM friends?

I think this is what you was looking for an answer for.
Only advice I can give you is, tell them to kiss your a*s and keep it moving. I think a true friend would really be happy for you and congradulate your success. The most important thing is that you got in.

This should help you with that situation.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=e-LFBNbDzBs

Okay.... this thread is gonna get closed.

Did I hear someone call someone Akatta????? :eek:

But What Up Doc, I really don't think you're gonna get what you want here. However, the list that someone posted up there is a good place to start. I (and some other people I know) got some money from a couple of those schools.

However, I do find your posts wildly entertaining. How much did the jeans cost on Ebay? That girl (or dude;)) you "laid".... was he/she cute?

Lemme stop before I get banned.

Okay.... this thread is gonna get closed.

Did I hear someone call someone Akatta????? :eek:

But What Up Doc, I really don't think you're gonna get what you want here. However, the list that someone posted up there is a good place to start. I (and some other people I know) got some money from a couple of those schools.

However, I do find your posts wildly entertaining. How much did the jeans cost on Ebay? That girl (or dude;)) you "laid".... was he/she cute?

Lemme stop before I get banned.

haha...the girl was a okay but were frends with benefits so could really careless...

jeans were 115...which is bargain for me cuz its hard 2 find jeans that fit a 32 in waist and a 34 inseam...

lol...as long as it doesnt get sidetracked, it shouldnt get closed, so lets stay on topic....anybody got more advice???

Hi everyone,

I know this is an old thread, but since it got bumped I have to reply to this.

I don't know what in the world you're worried about. With your MCAT and GPA nobody can say anything about URM being your ticket to medical school. The computer doesn't see your skin and mark all the correct answers for you, nor does the professor / TA grading your tests! It would take an absolute ***** to think that you're not deserving of a spot in an medical school.

Now, with regards to many other URM's, the situation is such that we need to lower standards for URM's so that undeserved (largely URM) populations have access to medical care. Its a double edge sword. It addresses a definite need because most people who are not URM will not go to serve under served communities when they finish their MD, but it does create resentment among people who are not part of the URM community because on a singular basis its really hard to accept the fact that your skin color alone plays a major role in the level to which you must perform in order to be accepted to medical school, despite the fact that most people understand the necessity of doing whatever the medical community can to improve, and make more available, healthcare in URM communities.

I think it would be really nice if all the negativity that comes from being a certain skin color got as many cries of injustice.

I really don't think that we can help you. I know a variety of urms with similar stats that applied to the same schools and some got tons of scholarships and others didn't. The only school that I know of that consistently tries to give money to its URM students is Baylor (I believe they give most URMs a scholarship automatically). Also there are schools out there that don't typically give out merit scholarships (just need based aid) but might give you more money if you beg their Office of Diversity/Minority Affairs. Columbia is one school that comes to mind.

Other than that its a toss up. You really have to have some kind of selling point or hook for med schools to want to give you scholarship money. Or simply be amazing in all respects. Also, the type of evidence or anecdotes you're looking for doesn't take into account the amount of hustle people may do to get that scholarship. That includes writing/begging the Deans and Offices of Diversity/Financial Aid for more money.

Below is a list of schools that some fellow URMs (including myself) and Non-URMs that I know of have gotten some non-need based scholarship money.

Baylor
Northwestern
University of Michigan
University of Chicago
Vanderbilt
USC
University of Pennsylvania
Emory
Jefferson
ok this is probably the weirdest thread i've stumbled upon so far, but this post made my day! thanks for the help!

and i always say this to my friends: Nigerians are everywhere!! haha and this thread is even more confirmation. idk if its a good or bad thing, but it is certainly very odd how i find Nigerians everywhere.

I'm URM but probably not pre-med(maybe dentistry, OT or PT) and i look completely white... however i'm bi-lingual and very connected to the hispanic community. And we definately need more people that are URM in medicine and health care in general. I barely see or know any hispanic doctors(we have a few dentists and a few CRNAs we know that are hispanic and I have an aunt in Mexico who is a doctor). On the AAMC website there is a poll that shows only 15% of Asian and white medical students have a desire to serve in poor communities. And it's really not like URMs are graded on a curve on licensing exams.... the fact that somebody from an under-represented group is able to pass and be of serious consideration for medical school is excellent and they deserve a little bit of a leg up. I have a feeling many wealthy and middle class white and asians are simply looking for the money and stability they can get in medicine and couldn't care less about poor people of another ethnic group. Many people from majority groups in medicine are obviously racist if they give crap to people from URM groups.... What kind of care do you think this racist people will give poor minority groups?

How does the URM factor play into the actual MCAT score? Just curious I have heard they add like points to your scores. Is that the case? I am native american and i am trying to figure out which schools I should be applying to.

Last edited:
In the college admissions process, I got beef from bitter non-URM 'friends' complaining that I only got in because I'm URM. I dreaded actually attending college, thinking everyone would think this of me. Sure enough, once I was there, no one gave a damn or thought twice about it.

Again we find ourselves in a touchy position applying to medical school. The topic comes up now for many reasons, but especially because other people's insecurities come out in times like these. When it's all said and done, and we're sitting in lecture hall at XXX medical school, I expect that again no one will give a damn or doubt us -- especially when we demonstrate competence.

Honestly, learn to love the struggle. I have. Nothing better than blowing away the annoying bigot who assumes too much of you. What could be more rewarding than outperforming those who assume you are second class?

I'm URM but probably not pre-med(maybe dentistry, OT or PT) and i look completely white... however i'm bi-lingual and very connected to the hispanic community. And we definately need more people that are URM in medicine and health care in general. I barely see or know any hispanic doctors(we have a few dentists and a few CRNAs we know that are hispanic and I have an aunt in Mexico who is a doctor). On the AAMC website there is a poll that shows only 15% of Asian and white medical students have a desire to serve in poor communities. And it's really not like URMs are graded on a curve on licensing exams.... the fact that somebody from an under-represented group is able to pass and be of serious consideration for medical school is excellent and they deserve a little bit of a leg up. I have a feeling many wealthy and middle class white and asians are simply looking for the money and stability they can get in medicine and couldn't care less about poor people of another ethnic group. Many people from majority groups in medicine are obviously racist if they give crap to people from URM groups.... What kind of care do you think this racist people will give poor minority groups?

awww mayne, arent u one lucky S.O.B! :laugh:

In the college admissions process, I got beef from bitter non-URM 'friends' complaining that I only got in because I'm URM. I dreaded actually attending college, thinking everyone would think this of me. Sure enough, once I was there, no one gave a damn or thought twice about it.

Again we find ourselves in a touchy position applying to medical school. The topic comes up now for many reasons, but especially because other people's insecurities come out in times like these. When it's all said and done, and we're sitting in lecture hall at XXX medical school, I expect that again no one will give a damn or doubt us -- especially when we demonstrate competence.

Honestly, learn to love the struggle. I have. Nothing better than blowing away the annoying bigot who assumes too much of you. What could be more rewarding than outperforming those who assume you are second class?

true story!

only problem is, sometimes that is not enuff! the other day, i was talking to a friend of mine a the bar and he told me some douche bag from my high school was talking **** about how he was mad that i got a scholarship to go to my school and he didnt...he lied and said that he had a higher SAT and GPA than i did, both of which are completely and entirely false! worse yet, ive known this guy since middle school and he even played on the bball team with me! so sad..soo sooo sad

What could be more rewarding than outperforming those who assume you are second class?

....mwen soti la vie au kay
tout bet tonbe lan ball
madamemoiselle leve pou danse
monsieur je suis fatigue

OMG I'm sorry I was just so excited to see that in your signature. :laugh: I used to dance to that song all the time when I was in Elementary School. My creole is horrible so I don't know if you understood what I wrote.

However I agree with What Up doc. It isn't enough. Even if URMs had the exact same scores (33, 3.6) as those that matriculated into med schools someone would still have something to see. If it wasn't the grades it would be about research experience, if not research then the amount of science classes that we take. People will always doubt the accomplishment of URMs because it's the society that we live in.

ok this is probably the weirdest thread i've stumbled upon so far, but this post made my day! thanks for the help!

and i always say this to my friends: Nigerians are everywhere!! haha and this thread is even more confirmation. idk if its a good or bad thing, but it is certainly very odd how i find Nigerians everywhere.

hmmm and we Nigerians sure got some issues.......

btw, WhatupDoc, how does getting laid get you into medical school?
Do banging stats ring a bell...

Ah well, it might be part of ur ECs:

- research - found the cure for lymphoma
- saved a dying AIDS orphan in Africa
-Get laid b/w 2 SDN posts
-Dean's list...

:smuggrin:
ok I am really bored...Can't wait for school to start.

hmmm and we Nigerians sure got some issues.......

btw, WhatupDoc, how does getting laid get you into medical school?
Do banging stats ring a bell...

Ah well, it might be part of ur ECs:

- research - found the cure for lymphoma
- saved a dying AIDS orphan in Africa
-Get laid b/w 2 SDN posts
-Dean's list...

:smuggrin:
ok I am really bored...Can't wait for school to start.

lol....nigerians are everywhere cuz:

"we run this ****,
and we gon keep running
we gon keep on runnin but neva runnin outta money!"

haha...and gettin laid has nuthin 2 do with medical school...i jus have a frend with benefits (the best type of relationship to have as a premed!) who is more horny than me hahahaha....jus that rediculous girl was trying to assess my level of self security from a couple of post on an anonmous internet forum....my remarks were probably inappropiate but whatever, ne1 who knows me (and unfortunately, my big mouth, typing style and avatar have revealed my identity to one too many ppl!) knows i culd really give two f*cks haha!

and yes, SDN has now become my reason for procastinating on my secondaries...of which i have compelted none! :cool:

i agree with you entirely, well almost...

first off, in regards 2 the SAT http://www.uga.umd.edu/admissions/faq/faq_list.asp?iSectionID=1&iGroupID=70&iQuestionID=213
i believe that puts the "median" at 1310? i am not sure if you can make that assumption tho, so i could be wrong...either way, its a stat they are constantly boasting about at orientation meetings and crap and how the mean SAT 1300 yada yada...

but, i was mainly wondering if anyone had any anecdotal stories..some of these, though posted on an anonymous internet forum, can be inspiring, true or false...

life is not *stat-centered*. however, this med school process is almost as inherently evil as it is good. there are so many little intricacies about the system and the game that allow ppl of all ethnicities to get in for sure..be it race, gender, legacy, connections yada yada...

but we have to be honest here, and we know that some urms are made extremely attractive candidates because of their higher than the average urm numbers categories...now this is not to debate wheter or not this is a fair/unfair policy...its just to hear some peoples stories about people they know, may have heard that have the stats i mentioned above and did well...it seems like most urms here have like 3.8, 35+ and statsitically speaking there are like less than 100 of these candidates in the country (okay i pulled that stat out of my arse...dont hate me)...argh....i really dont know how to ask this without sounding like douche...but im really not trying to be...

Don't take what Flahless says personally. He gets very inflamed if you dare say that someone who is a URM could have POSSIBLY benefited from affirmative action in the med school process. As the poster above said, IT DOES exist, so why deny it. That doesn't mean you should say EVERYONE who is a URM benefited from it.

Flahless, really has no right to complain as he himself benefited: http://www.mdapplicants.com/viewprofile.php?id=8835

compare this to TupacalipseT96 (this guy is AMAZING!!) who definitely will EARN his spot and certainly doesn't need affirmative action to get him a spot in med school: http://www.mdapplicants.com/viewprofile.php?id=10208

It's just too bad because of folks like Flahless reflect badly on those like TupacalipseT96 who actually have the academic criteria and deserve to go to medical school. If Flahless had been a white male, there would have been no way he would have made the cut to get the interview, even with a spectacular personal statement.

There is no shame Flahless to say you got an interview bc of affirmative action, even though you may not feel that way.

Last edited:
Don't take what Flahless says personally. He gets very inflamed if you dare say that someone who is a URM could have POSSIBLY benefited from affirmative action in the med school process. As the poster above said, IT DOES exist, so why deny it. That doesn't mean you should say EVERYONE who is a URM benefited from it.

Flahless, really has no right to complain as he himself benefited: http://www.mdapplicants.com/viewprofile.php?id=8835

compare this to TupacalipseT96 (this guy is AMAZING!!) who definitely will EARN his spot and certainly doesn't need affirmative action to get him a spot in med school: http://www.mdapplicants.com/viewprofile.php?id=10208

It's just too bad because of folks like Flahless reflect badly on those like TupacalipseT96 who actually have the academic criteria and deserve to go to medical school. If Flahless had been a white male, there would have been no way he would have made the cut to get the interview, even with a spectacular personal statement.

There is no shame Flahless to say you got an interview bc of affirmative action, even though you may not feel that way.

i was following you up until the last statement....you have absoultely no way of knowing this....and you know nothing about flaahless' background nor of his EC's or personal story....i was at smdep 2006 at Yale medical school and a very, very chinese asian (who are more overrepensted than white males) got in with a 29 and a 3.3...now, whose to say that he doesn't deserve his acceptance....he scored over 230 on his boards and will probably match into derm....i mean this guy started a non-profit in undergrad....but you dont hear about these guys on this thread...you only hear about the blacks with the 28, 3.5 that get into feinberg and every1 flips a ****...truth is, affirmative action benefits EVERYONE, not jus race, its geneder, SE, LEGACY AND CONNECTIONS...my good friend is the daughter of an admissions officer at my state school...she will probably get in even if she scores a 23 on her MCAT...but neway, this is all anecdotal...i never questioned flaahless success...i believe he deserves everything hes earned...but i dont think we should pretend like AA doesnt exist and that some of us, not all, but prolly most, will benefit from it one way or another