Urogynecology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrCoreyOSU

Cytotoxic!
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey folks,

I've been looking around the web, and I can't seem to find out if Urogynecology is an OB/GYN sub, or a Uro sub. Could someone please shed some light on this issue?

Thanks!
-Corey

Members don't see this ad.

Usually an OB/GYN fellowship and often it's Urogynecology/Pelvic Reconstructive Surgery.

Urogynecology/pelvic reconstruction is a fellowship in both obgyn and urology

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone have any idea how hard it is to get a fellowship? Also, any idea on the hours, lifestyle, etc?

Funny to see this thread. I'm actually on a Uro/Gyn rotation as we speak. In fact, I just walked out of the OR where they were doing a pubovaginal sling, A/P vaginal repair, and a TVH.

Anyway, from what I can see, the lifestyle isn't too bad. Our attending is in the OR 1-2X week, with the remainder of her time in clinic.

From what I've heard, there isn't an overwhelming amount of interest in the GYN subspecialties, making it relatively easy to land a fellowship. If I get any one-on-one time with the attending, I'll ask her about this and post what she says.

My sister is doing a urogyn fellowship after OB/GYN. At her program, her hours are great, she has more free time than she has ever had and loves that aspect. She is not as happy with the training at this point due to loss of some staff. It is good if you like the surgical aspects of OB/GYN but don't like the OB. Also, the call is much better if you are only doing gyn as opposed to OB.

Teufelhunden said:
Funny to see this thread. I'm actually on a Uro/Gyn rotation as we speak. In fact, I just walked out of the OR where they were doing a pubovaginal sling, A/P vaginal repair, and a TVH.

Anyway, from what I can see, the lifestyle isn't too bad. Our attending is in the OR 1-2X week, with the remainder of her time in clinic.

From what I've heard, there isn't an overwhelming amount of interest in the GYN subspecialties, making it relatively easy to land a fellowship. If I get any one-on-one time with the attending, I'll ask her about this and post what she says.
Teufelhunden, any luck getting any time with the attending?

Also, is there really a difference between Uro-Gyn and Female Urology? I know that Uro-Gyn doesn't deal with cancer, but is that basically it?