Urology as DO??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

scooter tooter

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am very interested in practicing in Urology, and I just wanted to get some opinions on how difficult it is to match into a Urology residency from a D.O. school?

Members don't see this ad.

Search function will be your friend for this question I think.

Reactions: 1 user
I am very interested in practicing in Urology, and I just wanted to get some opinions on how difficult it is to match into a Urology residency from a D.O. school?
My school matched 4 people into urology. That being said its difficult. You should look into how many uro spots the school has in their opti.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's difficult for ANYONE to match into Urology. It's uber competitive. Don't pick a med school based on your prospective specialty...you may change your mind on that specialty. Give yourself as many options by going to the best medical school you could attend...in one you believe you would thrive. Go where you believe you can get the education you need to be a top tier medical student with top tier board scores.

Reactions: 9 users
It's difficult for ANYONE to match into Urology. It's uber competitive. Don't pick a med school based on your prospective specialty...you may change your mind on that specialty. Give yourself as many options by going to the best medical school you could attend...in one you believe you would thrive. Go where you believe you can get the education you need to be a top tier medical student with top tier board scores.

Thank you for the advice, I appreciate it!

If no one minds me hijacking this thread for a quick question. Why is urology so competitive? Is it just because schools accept so few candidates?

I assume it's just because of the volume of applicants compared to the number of residency spots. Particularly difficult for DOs because there aren't many AOA residencies and they have to compete with MDs for the ACGME ones.

not enough spots, good pay and life style. ENT and urology are getting popularity

what about lifestyle? arent you still on call and such?
better in terms of call, my cousin is a practicing urologist. It is still a very busy profession but less call (after residency). Most of the uro residency programs are front loaded.
I guess it is the similar case for ENT.

what about lifestyle? arent you still on call and such?

I've shadowed a urologist and they do have to take call once in awhile (1 weekend every 1-2 months) but there are not very many emergencies in urology 98% of things can wait till Monday so the hours are pretty decent and routine. Plus pay is great.

That being said it can be a pretty gross gig, and your looking at penises all day long. If you can handle that day in and day out then It would be a great profession.

Last edited:
I've shadowed a urologist and they do have to take call once in awhile (1 weekend every 1-2 months) but there are not very many emergencies in urology 98% of things can wait till Monday so the hours are pretty decent and routine. Plus pay is great.

That being said it can be a pretty gross gig, and your looking at penises all day long. If you can handle that day in and day out then It would be a great profession.
I bet derm is grosser than uro.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I interned with a urologist for 7 months. GreAt guy. And yes very competitive. Went to Rowan and was also in the USAF

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The odds are not good. There were about 5500 DO grads last year, 20 AOA urology spots offered, and no more than 5 acgme urology matches (probably more like zero, but it's hard to find info about urology). If you want urology as a DO, I'd suggest attending a DO school with a urology residency and/or join the military.

Why is urology so competitive?

Sigh.... I was hoping it would be something less shallow/superficial.

I think it's mostly money too. I think it's a really interesting field though. Solid mix of medicine and surgery with some really interesting procedures.

I think it's mostly money too. I think it's a really interesting field though. Solid mix of medicine and surgery with some really interesting procedures.

Interesting.

NOT EVEN ONE SINGLE D!CK JOKE IN THIS THREAD.

raw

Why is urology so competitive?
You get to learn about anal tone, refer here.
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/how-do-you-tell-if-someone-has-good-anal-tone.179233/
Don't miss post #2, #12, and #14

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Robotic surgery is also very popular in Urology, which I assume would also be a draw for some people (because who doesn't like huge, expensive, cool toys?)

Patients aren't usually willing to pay cash for service for medical care. There are a few exceptions...cosmetics, pain management, and sex life.

With the direction of medicine (decreasing reimbursements, decreased time with patients, increasing overhead, increasing regulation)...a smart strategy is to find a profession that you can make a living even when the whole system goes to complete ****.

Cosmetics: Dermatology, Plastics, Urology, ENT (if doing OMFS stuff)
Pain Management: Pain, sports medicine, PM&R (maybe anesthesia...though less traditional), OMT
Sex life: Plastics, Urology

As you can see...Urology gives you two avenues to cash pay...not bad.

Most Urologists I know work like dogs...but the truth is that the profession gives you flexibility to NOT work like a dog if you don't want to. That is not the case of most surgical fields.