US allopathic senior NON-citizen for IM in NY

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doctorinthesky

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all

I'm an international student at a US allopathic medical school so I'm in a bit of a weird situation.

My boyfriend got placed in Manhattan so I'm looking to match into internal medicine in NY (my med school is not in NY but I did go to undergrad on Long Island).

I REALLY would like an H1B visa considering the current political climate, I'd like my immigration status to be much less volatile than the J1 visa allows. I am also seriously considering fellowship, not sure which one yet.

So considering all this, my first choices are Icahn MSSM, Montefiore and Zucker... which is a pretty short list.

I've heard there are certain community programs to 100% avoid, and some that are pretty good.
Could you all please give me your opinions on other programs that you consider strong programs? And of course, which programs to avoid like the plague?
Also... how likely am I to procure an H1B this year?

I really appreciate your opinions! This year will be weird with virtual interviews and I'd really like a better idea of what programs are going to be like. Thanks a lot!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I would avoid doing IM residency in NYC unless you have to be there for personal reasons:
1) The COL is pretty much the highest in the country with triple taxation (federal, NY state, and NYC) and you only get paid slightly more than programs in average COL parts of the country so financially residents there usually a lot worse off unless they have another source of income like a SO in a higher-paying job.
2) NYC programs tend to be busier than many programs in other parts of the country, and it's not in a good way. This occurs because ancillary staffing in inpatient services is very poor across just about all NYC hospitals, even at the better hospitals, so residents end up doing a lot of non-physician scutwork on top of your usual resident responsibilities.

However, if you have to be in NYC, I would avoid any program that has >50% IMGs and/or primarily rotates in a county/safety net hospital. NYC is filled with them and many of these programs are very malignant. Wyckoff, Brookdale, Brooklyn Hospital, SUNY Downstate, SIUH, Lincoln, Metropolitan, Coney Island, Maimonides, NYP Methodist, St. Barbanas, Woodhull, Jacobi, Wakefield are a few that come to mind but there are plenty of others to avoid.

Use tools like FREIDA (https://freida.ama-assn.org/) or ResidentExplorer (Residency Explorer™ Tool: Home) to narrow down your list. They'll also tell you if the program sponsors J1 or H1B visas. Note that requiring H1B visa and being in non-malignant IM program in NYC will significantly limit your options despite being a USMD with very strong grades and scores so still be prepared to apply a bit more broadly.

Reactions: 1 user
Marry your bf, if he’s citizen. Problem solved.

There are plenty of program in or around the city, if that’s your only concern, you’re fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
Agree with imgasmd...if this relationship is the important thing, then you will have your best chances as a GC holder.

Otherwise you will need to compromise on something...location or quality of program.

You will have the fact that you are a US senior to help you, but your visa need will play as big, if not bigger role.

If you are going to be selective geographically, then you will have to be less so in programs you apply to...you may very well have to pick some of those places that were mentioned in another post...and you may be surprised in that some of those places may actually not extend you an invite...many of them don’t want to really teach...they want a work force and FMGs that were practicing physicians in their country really don’t need that much supervision in their eyes.

If the quality/prestige of the program is important, then you will have to look in other regions...the NE is extremely competitive for the higher tiered programs...people (for some reason) want to live in NYC, so the applicant pool is more competitive...being visa requiring is a red flag...even as a US senior.

Only you can decide what is important to and for you.

Reactions: 1 user
I have a similar situation as OP... also an international student at a USMD school applying this year.

My SO and I are planning to get married soon and I will apply for GC shortly after. In terms of work authorization/visa, I am hoping to avoid J1 or H1-B by using my F-1 OPT to cover my PGY-1 year, which should give me enough time to get my EAD from GC then actual GC for PGY-2 and beyond.

I know for many NY programs (and programs all around the country for that matter), needing J-1/H1-B sponsorship represents a big disadvantage in terms of getting interviews/ranked, and I can imagine it would be even tougher this year with the uncertainty and changes related to visa policy at the federal level.

So my main question is can I say on ERAS that I would not need visa sponsorship? Thanks for your help!

I have a similar situation as OP... also an international student at a USMD school applying this year.

My SO and I are planning to get married soon and I will apply for GC shortly after. In terms of work authorization/visa, I am hoping to avoid J1 or H1-B by using my F-1 OPT to cover my PGY-1 year, which should give me enough time to get my EAD from GC then actual GC for PGY-2 and beyond.

I know for many NY programs (and programs all around the country for that matter), needing J-1/H1-B sponsorship represents a big disadvantage in terms of getting interviews/ranked, and I can imagine it would be even tougher this year with the uncertainty and changes related to visa policy at the federal level.

So my main question is can I say on ERAS that I would not need visa sponsorship? Thanks for your help!

I would start a new thread and ask. Or get married ASAP, go to city hall and just do it.