US Atlantic Bridge 2016

Started by deleted390966
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

So I applied for the 5 year programs because the MCAT wasn't required, but I ended up deciding to take the MCAT. Found out today I got a 509, pretty decent score that I think definitely wouldn't hurt an Atlantic Bridge app with an sGPA of 3.56, cGPA of 3.81. Would it be worth my time and money to try getting my app and MCAT scores to the 4 year programs or should I just wait for an answer on 5 years and apply to US programs?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So I applied for the 5 year programs because the MCAT wasn't required, but I ended up deciding to take the MCAT. Found out today I got a 509, pretty decent score that I think definitely wouldn't hurt an Atlantic Bridge app with an sGPA of 3.56, cGPA of 3.81. Would it be worth my time and money to try getting my app and MCAT scores to the 4 year programs or should I just wait for an answer on 5 years and apply to US programs?

I don't know for sure but I think your chances would be highly decreased and it might be a waste of money. I've heard a few times that atlantic bridge will take your money even if they know you're odds are slim due to tardiness. Up to you though 🙂 I'm no expert!
 
So I applied for the 5 year programs because the MCAT wasn't required, but I ended up deciding to take the MCAT. Found out today I got a 509, pretty decent score that I think definitely wouldn't hurt an Atlantic Bridge app with an sGPA of 3.56, cGPA of 3.81. Would it be worth my time and money to try getting my app and MCAT scores to the 4 year programs or should I just wait for an answer on 5 years and apply to US programs?

You might as well apply to 4 year programs, not sure how much late apps affect your results but imo its worth a shot if you feel competitive.
 
So I applied for the 5 year programs because the MCAT wasn't required, but I ended up deciding to take the MCAT. Found out today I got a 509, pretty decent score that I think definitely wouldn't hurt an Atlantic Bridge app with an sGPA of 3.56, cGPA of 3.81. Would it be worth my time and money to try getting my app and MCAT scores to the 4 year programs or should I just wait for an answer on 5 years and apply to US programs?
I know that they have the most spots in decreasing order for the 6 year programs, the 5 year programs, and the 4 year programs, They have also already started evaluating the applications and you cannot apply for more than one category at each university so it seems risky to me to try and switch now. Good luck!
 
Thanks y'all! Think I'll stick with the 5 years and then apply to US schools then. May also apply to UQ Ochsner now that I got my MCAT back.
 
Interesting. My understanding was that UCD does not do interviews for GEM, AB also confirmed this when I called. Yet there are a couple people online in various forums stating they were interviewed. Not sure if this means everyone without interviews is out of the running....guess we will have to wait a couple more weeks.
I'm not sure what to make of it. To my knowledge it's their first year conducting any kind of interview, even on Skype. Maybe the were trying to get a better feel for candidates they were on the fence about?
 
CDWelsh, how was your RCSI interview? What sort of questions did they ask? Thanks in advance.
It's a very organic and low-key experience. There are two interviewers and they ask you mostly the "standard" questions: why medicine, why Ireland, what do you know about the RSCI program, so on. No tricks and they don't pull any punches. Just be yourself and have fun!


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm curious to see if anyone knows the statistical likelihood of acceptance upon interviewing at RCSI?
Last year they told me 1/2 applicants interviewed for the GEM program receive offers. This number takes into account that some students may rescind the offer. I know in some previous years they did additional rounds of skype interviews, but last year they filled all the seats after the first round, and in fact had too many students so offered many the option of deferring admission one year.
 
I am wondering about my chances with the Atlantic Bridge Program. I was thinking of applying for Sept 2016 but the second round deadline is March 15th, 2016 and thats extremely soon, so I think I'm going to apply for September 2017 instead. Plus its more difficult to get in with a late application anyways. Okay so,

2nd year of Bachelor of Science, Major in Bio and Minor in International Development
GPA: 3.2 in Uni and 3.75 in High School
Taking the MCAT in August 2016
EC's: volunteer at a hospital in the Child Life department, volunteer at an Alzheimer's research lab(possible publications with an honours student), working in a cancer research lab full time this summer (2016), shadowed a podiatrist for a semester, on multiple societies/clubs at my university, student body president of my high school

What are my chances with the ABP for 2017 for the 1) 4 year programs and 2) 5/6 year programs? Should I apply to the 5 year programs instead of the 4 year programs to ensure acceptance?
My top choice right now would be TCD, but idk...what schools do you think I would get in to?
Thanks!
 
I am wondering about my chances with the Atlantic Bridge Program. I was thinking of applying for Sept 2016 but the second round deadline is March 15th, 2016 and thats extremely soon, so I think I'm going to apply for September 2017 instead. Plus its more difficult to get in with a late application anyways. Okay so,

2nd year of Bachelor of Science, Major in Bio and Minor in International Development
GPA: 3.2 in Uni and 3.75 in High School
Taking the MCAT in August 2016
EC's: volunteer at a hospital in the Child Life department, volunteer at an Alzheimer's research lab(possible publications with an honours student), working in a cancer research lab full time this summer (2016), shadowed a podiatrist for a semester, on multiple societies/clubs at my university, student body president of my high school

What are my chances with the ABP for 2017 for the 1) 4 year programs and 2) 5/6 year programs? Should I apply to the 5 year programs instead of the 4 year programs to ensure acceptance?
My top choice right now would be TCD, but idk...what schools do you think I would get in to?
Thanks!
It's hard to say without your MCAT score. Lowest scores accepted last year looked to be around 28-29 for the 4 yr programs. 5 yr programs emphasize GPA more since thats all they have to look at, 3.2 is definitely on the low end for those. Write the MCAT and you will have a much better idea of your competitiveness! Good luck.
 
It's hard to say without your MCAT score. Lowest scores accepted last year looked to be around 28-29 for the 4 yr programs. 5 yr programs emphasize GPA more since thats all they have to look at, 3.2 is definitely on the low end for those. Write the MCAT and you will have a much better idea of your competitiveness! Good luck.

Okay, thanks! Are you talking even about the 6 year programs that straight out of high school students apply to? Like what are my chances for those?
 
They look just at high school GPA for those programs + other experiences and LORs. You might want to call Atlantic Bridge and find out if you qualify for those if you did not do high school in Ireland and what the typical GPAs are. 3.75 is a good high school GPA but not sure how this compares to Irish high school grads.
 
Okay, thanks! Are you talking even about the 6 year programs that straight out of high school students apply to? Like what are my chances for those?
If you have completed years of university I don't think you can apply to those? The details for that are on the ABP website I believe.
 
Does anyone have general tips for interview preparation? My upcoming interview will be my first so any tips would be appreciated... Also does anyone have insight into questions RCSI have asked in the past? Would love to outline my answers in my head before going in.
 
Does anyone have general tips for interview preparation? My upcoming interview will be my first so any tips would be appreciated... Also does anyone have insight into questions RCSI have asked in the past? Would love to outline my answers in my head before going in.

I can't help you with interview tips because I am an applicant like you! But, what are your stats? Just trying to get an idea of my chances!!
 
Does anyone have general tips for interview preparation? My upcoming interview will be my first so any tips would be appreciated... Also does anyone have insight into questions RCSI have asked in the past? Would love to outline my answers in my head before going in.
My advice to you: know your resume and everything in your application that you submitted. Be able to speak to your motivations for choosing medicine as a career, for specifically choosing RCSI, and the program you applied for. Ultimately, once you have an interview, they know that you have the aptitude for studying in the program. The interview is to understand whether or not you'll be an asset to their student body, so as Shrek The Musical says: Let your freak flag fly!
 
My advice to you: know your resume and everything in your application that you submitted. Be able to speak to your motivations for choosing medicine as a career, for specifically choosing RCSI, and the program you applied for. Ultimately, once you have an interview, they know that you have the aptitude for studying in the program. The interview is to understand whether or not you'll be an asset to their student body, so as Shrek The Musical says: Let your freak flag fly!

Thanks for this!
 
Just had my interview for RCSI GEM. Overall it was nice, but I felt they didn't really try to convince me to come to their school as opposed to other irish schools or justify their exorbitant tuition fees. Last year when I interviewed for Limerick they had a whole presentation set up to convince us to choose their school and had brought over many faculty members and alumni with them to speak to applicants casually. A little disappointed by RCSI. They said they will make a decision in a week.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just had my interview for RCSI GEM. Overall it was nice, but I felt they didn't really try to convince me to come to their school as opposed to other irish schools or justify their exorbitant tuition fees. Last year when I interviewed for Limerick they had a whole presentation set up to convince us to choose their school and had brought over many faculty members and alumni with them to speak to applicants casually. A little disappointed by RCSI. They said they will make a decision in a week.
I have just under a dozen old classmates at RCSI, RCSI has no shortage of really well off Canadians applying to matriculate. Regardless of the political nature of matching as an IMG back in North America, RCSI has a really good reputation for its school and location amongst people. They see the premium as a sign of "prestige" over cheaper carribean schools and other schools. International hub etc. Only 1 of the 2nd year students I know even took loans to attend RCSI.
 
Just had my interview for RCSI GEM. Overall it was nice, but I felt they didn't really try to convince me to come to their school as opposed to other irish schools or justify their exorbitant tuition fees. Last year when I interviewed for Limerick they had a whole presentation set up to convince us to choose their school and had brought over many faculty members and alumni with them to speak to applicants casually. A little disappointed by RCSI. They said they will make a decision in a week.
Would it be safe to assume that those of us who interviewed in New York the week before might hear within the same timeframe? I didn't want to impose by asking as everyone on the RSCI team seemed to be scramblin'.


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
 
Would it be safe to assume that those of us who interviewed in New York the week before might hear within the same timeframe? I didn't want to impose by asking as everyone on the RSCI team seemed to be scramblin'.


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
I think that would be a safe assumption. To be exact I was told we'll know sometime during the "week of the 7th".
 
True. How'd you feel it went?
Thought it went well, one interviewer would have a casual conversation about my resume and the other would occasionally throw in a generic question, like why medicine, why Ireland, why RCSI. Interestingly, they quizzed me about their MD program and their college. But it seems like they actually read my application which was a nice change from JHU.
 
Thought it went well, one interviewer would have a casual conversation about my resume and the other would occasionally throw in a generic question, like why medicine, why Ireland, why RCSI. Interestingly, they quizzed me about their MD program and their college. But it seems like they actually read my application which was a nice change from JHU.

Congrats on interviewing at Hopkins though, I saw that you are Canadian, are you applying locally as well?
 
Congrats on interviewing at Hopkins though, I saw that you are Canadian, are you applying locally as well?
Thanks, I am applying VERY locally; only in Quebec since my GPA doesn't make the OOP cutoffs 🙁. Not very confident about any local schools though since their interviews are granted solely based on transcripts; no MCAT, no letters of recommendation; you're literally just a number on a list 🙁.
 
Thanks, I am applying VERY locally; only in Quebec since my GPA doesn't make the OOP cutoffs 🙁. Not very confident about any local schools though since their interviews are granted solely based on transcripts; no MCAT, no letters of recommendation; you're literally just a number on a list 🙁.

Ah I see, good luck hope things work out! Yeah its tough in Quebec without the MCAT especially if you did well in it.
 
For those who received acceptances, did they come via FedEx and e-mail, or just FedEx?
Last year I received an offer from Limerick and I got an e-mail right away (because they give you a couple of weeks to make a payment) and then the official acceptance arrives later (but limerick had an issue with acceptance deliveries last year so they were late), but you should know right away by e-mail.
 
Code Gaelan - how did you manage an interview at Hopkins without an MCAT?? DO you mind sharing your GPA?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys, has anyone heard anything lately? My guess is people who receive offers will start hearing by the end of this week. Trying very hard to be patient, but I'm definitely finding it hard to wait it out when I don't know how long of a wait it will be!
 
Hey guys, has anyone heard anything lately? My guess is people who receive offers will start hearing by the end of this week. Trying very hard to be patient, but I'm definitely finding it hard to wait it out when I don't know how long of a wait it will be!

Hey man, yes we are with you, we are all trying very hard to wait- someone from atlantic bridge told me on the phone though that they send acceptance letters for first round during end of march and first week of April.
 
Hey man, yes we are with you, we are all trying very hard to wait- someone from atlantic bridge told me on the phone though that they send acceptance letters for first round during end of march and first week of April.
thanks! Do you know if they were talking about a school in particular or just most of the programs in general?