US citizen doing fellowship in Canada

Started by josephf1
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

josephf1

Junior Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am US citizen, did residency in US. If I do fellowship in canada can I get US board certified and practice in US with no further US training?
 
I am US citizen, did residency in US. If I do fellowship in canada can I get US board certified and practice in US with no further US training?

It depends on the specialty and certification of the specific program. Most of the fellowship programs in the US and Canada are accredited by the same groups (i.e. American Society of Transplant Surgeons looks after Canadian and US programs), so in that case you are fellowship trained regardless of the country of origin. But if it was a program that was not certified by the recognized governing bodies, probably not. I would say that most of the programs that participate in the fellowship match would make you eligible in both the US and Canada. Some notable exceptions would be cardiac surgery (residency in Canada, fellowship in US) and critical care.