Position Wanted US Citizen, IMG, Want a PGY-1 Position in any field, any location, any where in 50 U.S. States

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MunnaMBBS

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am U.S. Citizen, IMG, who Graduated 4-5 yrs ago from medical school (Caribbean school, M.D. Degree). Looking for a PGY1 Position in practically any field, anywhere. I can give you a fake story about how interested I am in IM, Family or Psych but that won't matter because at this point in my life all I want to do is, get a residency, become a physician, start helping communities in the U.S.
Yes, I am not the brightest or smartest student when it comes to USMLE Scores. I have completed all the USMLE exams. I have attempts on my Step 2 and Step 3 exams but I have not given up, I have completed the Usmle exams and I am an ECFMG Certified.

I can tell you a sad story about personal and family problems but I won't bore you with that. I TAKE PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITIES FOR MY FAILURE. I have learned from my failures, adapted and improved daily habits. I have changed my personal daily habits, routine, and installed discipline in my life. I want to see my self as a physician and for that, I am willing to work without pay or benefits. I am willing to do any scut work possible.

After completing the USMLE board exams, I did 3-4 jobs to support my family. Along with keeping my self active in medical/clinical work, I did other jobs on weekends and driving Uber to support my family. With two years of hard work, I was able to pay off my medical school loans including interest. Currently, I have no debt at ALL. Everything including loans, car, and the house are paid off.

Highlights:
1- US Citizen, IMG, Graduated medical school 5 yrs ago (2015).
2- Active in the Medical/Clinical area, currently working in IM office.
3- US Clinical experience for MS 3 and MS4 years.
4- US clinician recommendation letters (personalized).
5- ECFMG Certified.
6- Currently working in IM/Cardiology office and doing an externship at a private physician office focusing on addiction medicine (psych).
7- Two years of on hands clinical research experience at a university hospital with name included abstracts and manuscripts.

I am interested in Psychiatry, Family Medicine, Internal Medicine, Neurology, Pediatrics, Obstetrics/Gynecology.

If someone is a PD or close to the selection process: I would really appreciate just one chance to share my story with you and I can assure you that I am 100% focused on my career. I am willing to do 1 year of a volunteer at your program/hospital in order for you to evaluate me if needed.

Thank you for your time,
Aj

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
like they would care about your story or experience. They just look at test numbers/attempts and your odds of increasing their pass rate of the boards. I've been working as GP in an ER and PHP of a Psych hospital for 3 years.. evaluating, prescribing, follow up and admitting psych patients.. I've had interviews where they tell me that all I do is pretty much what I would be doing in their program... yet they give the opportunity to newly grads with no experience but a decent test.. and for them, that means they are more qualified! Everywhere people telling me "youre very good at your job... you should try for Psychiatry.. you'd be great at it" and all I can say " yeah I'm trying... no one wants to give me a chance.."

I suggest you try Puerto Rico.. do a year rotatory internship ( not accredited) but after that year and with step 3 you get a full medical license to practice in PR as a general practitioner. can work on ER, your own primary care office and a few other perks.. at least youll be fully licensed MD, some US states might consider reciprocity or federal Jobs

like they would care about your story or experience. They just look at test numbers/attempts and your odds of increasing their pass rate of the boards. I've been working as GP in an ER and PHP of a Psych hospital for 3 years.. evaluating, prescribing, follow up and admitting psych patients.. I've had interviews where they tell me that all I do is pretty much what I would be doing in their program... yet they give the opportunity to newly grads with no experience but a decent test.. and for them, that means they are more qualified! Everywhere people telling me "youre very good at your job... you should try for Psychiatry.. you'd be great at it" and all I can say " yeah I'm trying... no one wants to give me a chance.."

I suggest you try Puerto Rico.. do a year rotatory internship ( not accredited) but after that year and with step 3 you get a full medical license to practice in PR as a general practitioner. can work on ER, your own primary care office and a few other perks.. at least youll be fully licensed MD, some US states might consider reciprocity or federal Jobs

I haven't read anything else as truth as this comment anywhere, ever.
I bumped against this hard truth after one year of Ivy league research year on psych. Fantastic interviews where they pretty much play with your feelings and say how much they want you. and they end up hiring the Caribbean grads with less experience.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am U.S. Citizen, IMG, who Graduated 4-5 yrs ago from medical school (Caribbean school, M.D. Degree). Looking for a PGY1 Position in practically any field, anywhere. I can give you a fake story about how interested I am in IM, Family or Psych but that won't matter because at this point in my life all I want to do is, get a residency, become a physician, start helping communities in the U.S.
Yes, I am not the brightest or smartest student when it comes to USMLE Scores. I have completed all the USMLE exams. I have attempts on my Step 2 and Step 3 exams but I have not given up, I have completed the Usmle exams and I am an ECFMG Certified.

I can tell you a sad story about personal and family problems but I won't bore you with that. I TAKE PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITIES FOR MY FAILURE. I have learned from my failures, adapted and improved daily habits. I have changed my personal daily habits, routine, and installed discipline in my life. I want to see my self as a physician and for that, I am willing to work without pay or benefits. I am willing to do any scut work possible.

After completing the USMLE board exams, I did 3-4 jobs to support my family. Along with keeping my self active in medical/clinical work, I did other jobs on weekends and driving Uber to support my family. With two years of hard work, I was able to pay off my medical school loans including interest. Currently, I have no debt at ALL. Everything including loans, car, and the house are paid off.

Highlights:
1- US Citizen, IMG, Graduated medical school 5 yrs ago (2015).
2- Active in the Medical/Clinical area, currently working in IM office.
3- US Clinical experience for MS 3 and MS4 years.
4- US clinician recommendation letters (personalized).
5- ECFMG Certified.
6- Currently working in IM/Cardiology office and doing an externship at a private physician office focusing on addiction medicine (psych).
7- Two years of on hands clinical research experience at a university hospital with name included abstracts and manuscripts.

I am interested in Psychiatry, Family Medicine, Internal Medicine, Neurology, Pediatrics, Obstetrics/Gynecology.

If someone is a PD or close to the selection process: I would really appreciate just one chance to share my story with you and I can assure you that I am 100% focused on my career. I am willing to do 1 year of a volunteer at your program/hospital in order for you to evaluate me if needed.

Thank you for your time,
Aj
what's the story on your prior application cycles? how many failures?

New spots open up all the time. Dig for them and get your materials to them. Make sure all your documents and application materials are organized and easy to send out. Spots are out there you just have to find them and get there before others. I've helped people in the past and they are doing great now.

Reactions: 1 users

Thank you for your advice. I will look into it. I have completed step 3.

what's the story on your prior application cycles? how many failures?

Hello Thank you for reply,
Applied for residency twice, didn't match
Step 2 CK/CS - 1 failure each
Step 3 - Passed it on 5th attempt

New spots open up all the time. Dig for them and get your materials to them. Make sure all your documents and application materials are organized and easy to send out. Spots are out there you just have to find them and get there before others. I've helped people in the past and they are doing great now.

Yeah made a schedule to hunt them down. I will look out for those every morning.
I am also on find a resident.

The fifth attempt is is rough. There are a number of states you cannot get a license in now if I understand the rules right

Fsmb.org/step-3/state-licensure/

That outlines he rules for board failures, find the states that will have you eligible for license and then personally contact all the fm and prelim programs in those states to let them know you are available and more than willing to show up and work. If you email them, send a pdf of your cv/letters. Make it short and to the point, they don’t need a novel

Oopfh, you didn't lead with the big elephant in the room which is 6 total board failures, 4 on one exam. That is on top of being 5 years out of medical school. You won't qualify for licensure in most states and I would say most residencies won't touch you with a ten-foot pole. I understand the desire and drive but honey I think you need an alternate career. You can try what sb recommends, but if no one responds you need to be done.

Reactions: 2 users
Damn! My issue was step 1 with 2 fails.. after that, i passed all steps without issue including step 3.. i don't understand why step 1 attempts are more important than having passed all the other steps on the first attempt! also I've been working as full GP here since PR has a way to get fully licensed and practice! i have been working at psych hospitals in the ER and PHP. of course that means its been a few years since graduation but ive been . well. working as an MD.. that should be better experience than fresh out of school with only step 1 and 2 passed..
idk .. ill keep trying!

Agree with the others. You need to send out CVs and if no offers. Quit. Seriously you are debt free. You can do anything you want. Teach. Invent something. Pharm sales. Heck literally anything you want.