US citizen working in Canada?

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

I personally have experienced that the quality of life in Canada is much higher, as everyone is not so obsessed about making more money, as almost everyone is in the US (although, I've never lived in Canada, I've only visited relatives there).
C'mon such blanket statements really call for some self examination.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Ontario recently passed a bill that will allow us to use TPA's.

What province were you thinking of?

I'm a Canadian going to school in the US and will DEFINITELY be coming back to Canada 🙂
 
I am a US citizen but I have been thinking about working in Canada after I get my OD and I was wondering why so many Canadians move to the US to practice Optometry. Is it for other reasons than the salary is higher? Is there not enough openings in Canada for new Optometrists? Are there any negatives to working in a socialized healthcare country (besides the lower salary)?

I personally have experienced that the quality of life in Canada is much higher, as everyone is not so obsessed about making more money, as almost everyone is in the US (although, I've never lived in Canada, I've only visited relatives there). Also, I was wondering if there is any restrictions on US citizens working as Optometrists in Canada, other than passing the Canadian boards. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Hi
I agree with you. I am from Canada and I have noticed that their is a shortage on od's here in B.C. I have my own optical store and have been searching for a OD for the last 6 months and still no luck.
Sheena
 
Hi
I agree with you. I am from Canada and I have noticed that their is a shortage on od's here in B.C. I have my own optical store and have been searching for a OD for the last 6 months and still no luck.
Sheena

Really now? I was considering working/living in Vancouver when I finish school. Does anyone know what the job market in Vancouver is like? What about the scope of practice in BC? Any information or links would be helpful.

Thanks!