US college vs UK college?

Kousipadu

Reaction score
Right now I am in year 12 in the UK and want to work in the US as a doctor.

There are 2 options available for me - either get into a UK med school and after graduating secondary school, take the USMLE and get into a residential programme, which will eventually train me to become a doctor in the US, or to apply to a US university now.

However, there is a very lengthy and convoluted application process for international students and I have no idea where to start (I have read some stuff about SAT and ACT but have no clue about the syllabus, or any exam dates for the UK)) and it also turns out that I must do a 3 year bachelor's degree before studying medicine, which I don't really want (let me study and graduate already!!). Any links/websites/advice for international applicants and info about these US tests and the process for med students would be appreciated (I don't know too much about it at the moment and should start prepping soon).

On the other hand, the USMLE is an incredibly difficult multi-stage exam that really pushes everyone to the limits, which all US med school graduates take and the med school tailors their teaching for it, unlike UK med schools that tailor us for the UK version of it. The whole USMLE process takes about 6 months to prep and then about 6 another months to take the tests and do the interview etc. Then I have to apply for a residential programme and this process will probably take another couple of months and not to mention only a fraction of the people who apply are successful. I will probably study for this along F1 just in case things don't go to plan.

It's really doing my head in if I should just prep for AS and A levels and worry about all this after med school or apply to go to a US med school now, which saves me the hassle and worry of passing this exam. Any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

In order to attend US college/university for a Bachelors you require either a SAT score or an ACT score. Some colleges are becoming test optional, but I am not sure if 'test optional' is applicable to International Students. Bachelor Degrees are traditionally 4 years in the US. Why would you PAY to be educated in the US when it would cost you a fraction of the price in the UK? There are some colleges that have a joint BS/MD program, but many still require you to complete, and score highly on the MCAT (another exam). Studying in the US does not guarantee you residence in the US or permission to work here. My advice would be to go to med school in the UK.

If you want to practice in the US go to ugrad and med school in the US. You will have to redo your residency if you choose to go to med school in the UK and be at a large disadvantage in applying to residencies relative to people who went to medical school in the US.

Also most medical schools do not accept international students and those that do tend to be among the best.

Save yourself the headache and debt and go to medical school in UK

• Dislike
Reactions: 1 users