US Derm Residency as a Canadian?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

White-Tiger

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am canadian-born, with no green card to the USA.

I was wondering, being canadian and all, would applying to a US Med School greatly improve my chances of landing a Derm Residency in the US? Or would PDs look down upon me because I'm canadian-born, thus having to deal with a few visa issues (although much less if I was a USMG).

Also, once in Med School, what should I be shooting for to help my chances of landing a residency in dermatology? I understand this is one of the "most competitive residencies", so how do I make my application stand out?
 
ehhh, why do you want to get a US derm residency if you're Canadian? The American Board of Dermatology clearly states, that you can sit for the US boards if you have a Canadian degree, license and residency.....

http://www.abderm.org/residency.html