• Funniest Story on the Job Contest Starts Now!

Contest starts now and ends September 27th. Winner will receive a special user banner and $10 Amazon Gift card!

JOIN NOW
  • Site Updates Coming Next Week

Site updates are coming next week on Monday and Friday. Click the button below to learn more!

LEARN MORE

US DO vs. IMG

Fingerscrossed1234

2+ Year Member
May 25, 2018
I am currently debating US DO programs versus UQ ochsner (a competitive IMG program).
Wondering how people think the new p/f grading of USMLE will affect getting into competitive residencies, coming from a top DO program versus carrying the stigma of an IMG.
Thanks

About the Ads

gonnif

Rule One: Take a Breath
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
  1. Non-Student
DO match rate is 90 percent. IMG match rate is like 50-60 percent. Nothing more needs to be said.
Actually a little bit more does need to be said. Overall, in 2020 99.29% of those Osteopathic grads seeking a residency slot got one via NRMP Match, SOAP, Military Match and other mechanisms (see table at bottom of page). While US Citizens IMG matched a nominal rate of 61%, which only active applicants that ranked, taking into account all applicants who initially sought GME, 6893, only 3154 matched with another 193 getting placed by SOAP, at best 48% got a residency slot. Additionally there is an under 5% attrition rate at DO school which means the "success rate" of starting DO school, earning a degree and getting a residency slot is about 95%+ where very conservatively, a 10% attrition rate at off-shore schools would indicate a success rate of under 40%. While there are thousands of people a year who successfully complete off-shore schools and get a residency slot a year, there is a larger number that does not.

1593822820750.png

https://www.aacom.org/docs/default-.../2020_gme-match-report.pdf?sfvrsn=bfe20c97_14
1593823078000.png

• Love
Reactions: 6 users

Fingerscrossed1234

2+ Year Member
May 25, 2018
I do think there is a Pecking order though with IMG programs and that uq ochsner (years 3 and 4 are in the states) and sackler For example offer some tangible benefits from global study and are also well recognized by US residency programs . If there is increased pressure with all Non md options to go and be top of class and get good test scores at a DO program and at an international One, then it seems like the options available at the culmination could be quite similar? I guess the two initials are hard for me to get over still.
thanks for all the thoughts and insight and data! Super useful.

Isoval

Year four and still haven't failed out yet, cool.
2+ Year Member
Jul 5, 2017
Texas
  1. Medical Student
I do think there is a Pecking order though with IMG programs and that uq ochsner (years 3 and 4 are in the states) and sackler For example offer some tangible benefits from global study and are also well recognized by US residency programs . If there is increased pressure with all Non md options to go and be top of class and get good test scores at a DO program and at an international One, then it seems like the options available at the culmination could be quite similar? I guess the two initials are hard for me to get over still.

US DO programs are preferable over IMG programs if you want to practice in the United States.

Period.

Always.

End of discussion.

Going to the absolute worst DO school is a significantly better option than going to, quite literally, Oxford, Cambridge, or literally any other medicine program that isn’t within the United States if you want to practice in the United States. That is absolute.

I don’t know how to put it in clearer terms.

ciestar

All grown up!
7+ Year Member
Sep 18, 2013
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Okay, and? SGU, Ross, AUC.. all have rotations in the US.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.