US IMG surgery residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

travoltage

Crank up the travoltage!
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys, a fellow premed and myself were curious as to the difficulties for U.S. IMG's matching into surgical residences in the US. say you went to a Caribbean big 4, does being a US Citizen not hinder your chances of landing a residency whether that be a cat. or prelim?

Members don't see this ad.

hey guys, a fellow premed and myself were curious as to the difficulties for U.S. IMG's matching into surgical residences in the US. say you went to a Caribbean big 4, does being a US Citizen not hinder your chances of landing a residency whether that be a cat. or prelim?

Are you asking whether or not PDs would prefer a citizen over a non-citizen?

In most cases, probably yes...but then there are those who would prefer a non-citizen FMG with a good record from a reputable school they were familiar with over a citizen who "had" to go abroad.

In the end, you've got to bust your hump and get good grades and a good Step 1 score, no matter where you are.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you asking whether or not PDs would prefer a citizen over a non-citizen?

In most cases, probably yes...but then there are those who would prefer a non-citizen FMG with a good record from a reputable school they were familiar with over a citizen who "had" to go abroad.

hmm never thought of it in that perspective, i suppose im asking about the PD preferring a us citizen or non citizen, also...since there are 14 canadian schools accredited by aamc, does that mean those 14 can take uslme and do normal match in nrmp with no discrepancies, once again assuming ur a US citizen

hmm never thought of it in that perspective, i suppose im asking about the PD preferring a us citizen or non citizen, also...since there are 14 canadian schools accredited by aamc, does that mean those 14 can take uslme and do normal match in nrmp with no discrepancies, once again assuming ur a US citizen

I'll answer your 2nd question first.

Canadian schools are LCME accredited (AAMC does not accredit them) and as such, you take the USMLEs, apply through the match, etc. just as you would if you went to school in the US.

However, Canadian schools are, in most cases, HARDER to get into than US schools, so do not think this the easy route to avoid being an IMG.

In reference to your first question and my comment is the widely held belief that most students who go abroad for their medical education do so because they couldn't get into a US or Canadian school. And frankly, for most people its true...whether the reason was bad grades, MCAT, poor timing, or poor planning doesn't make a difference, it is part of the stigma attached.

An FMG raised in a foreign country and educated there has no such stigma. We EXPECT him or her to attend school in his foreign country and there is no belief that they did so because they couldn't get into a US school.

So by and large, IMHO, most programs prefer American citizens who graduate from American schools.

Programs that are open to FMGs may be MORE open to them than they would an American citizen who went abroad or they may not be...its hard to tell.

And then there are programs that are neither open to FMGs or IMGs.

do you which programs do not accept IMG's at all?

I do not as there is not a formal centralized list. You might check the International Forums here on SDN for some anecdotal evidence or the forums at ValueMD may have this info. Otherwise you are limited to simply checking each program individually which is hardly efficient.

In general it is a question of competitiveness, the most competitive the specialty and hospital the less friendly they are to IMG's. Some are open about it (eg. on their website), some are not. For the latter just a matter of trial and error. But mostly you will get error.

When WS talks about checking each program out, she is absolutely right. It is very inefficient. I made a list of every program in the country. It took me HOURS+pissed+

Why did Dr. Cox change her username?
And why was the SDN banner made PINK???

:confused:

In general it is a question of competitiveness, the most competitive the specialty and hospital the less friendly they are to IMG's. Some are open about it (eg. on their website), some are not. For the latter just a matter of trial and error. But mostly you will get error.

When WS talks about checking each program out, she is absolutely right. It is very inefficient. I made a list of every program in the country. It took me HOURS+pissed+

How about international students who are US medical graduates?

Why did Dr. Cox change her username?

I figured I was out in practice now so wanted to reduce my Google visibility. Obviously without changing my sig file, etc. I'm not trying to totally hide, but without my real name as my user name, when you search for me (as patients are wont to do), I don't come up as often.

And why was the SDN banner made PINK???

:confused:

It was made pink for Valentine's Day. Clear your cache and it should go away.