US residencies?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

masmaha1234

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you go to a carribean med school, how hard is it to get into a US residency.....like the not so competitive ones?

Members don't see this ad.

If you go to a legitimate school in the Carib SGU, Ross, AUC and do well and pass the boards you will get a residency.

I graduated from Saba in 2002. Everyone I knew got a residency spot. If you graduate you will get a spot somewhere. Even if you are the worst student in your class and even if you have to take step 1/2 multiple times.

Members don't see this ad :)
the not-so-competitive ones are just that. not competitive so there shouldn't be a problem.

what if u r a canadian citizen, have good board scores?
And wut if u wanna get into a competitive residency?
Im interested in surgery, ortho, rad..can anyone throuw some light on this!!!
Thanks

engg06 said:
what if u r a canadian citizen, have good board scores?
And wut if u wanna get into a competitive residency?
Im interested in surgery, ortho rad..can anyone throuw some light on this!!!
Thanks

I hear somewhere that surgery isn't as competitive as it used to be... Can someone back me up? Ortho, toughie. Rad also toughie, but I think not as tough as ortho. But don't worry. There is an article somewhere on the net (something to do with USMLE help/residency help for IMG's... I saved the page, but don't have the link... I think it's http://usmile.us). Anyways, the guy who wrote the article claimed that he was a total IMG (non-US citizen/non green-card) with a 97% in Step I. He followed the guidelines/strategies for maximum "MATCHNESS" by applying mostly to those programs which have a high track record of accepting total IMG's and ended up with a few offers in radiology. So, yeah, it's doable. I'm sure the Caribbean schools know the sweet, IMG-friendly spots where IMGs would have a better chance of matching (ie. suburban areas). Just to be on the bright side, there are guidelines where the US must meet a certain minimum quota of IMG residents each year (which is a good thing for IMGs).

Lastly, take everything you read on the net with a grain of salt. It's way better to dig out the info yourself. You can e-mail the schools for such information or search their FAQ's, look at their annual residency matches, etc. ;)

How does one 'end up with a few offers in radiology' in the match. It is one or none.

Lotsof77 said:
I hear somewhere that surgery isn't as competitive as it used to be... Can someone back me up? Ortho, toughie. Rad also toughie, but I think not as tough as ortho. But don't worry. There is an article somewhere on the net (something to do with USMLE help/residency help for IMG's... I saved the page, but don't have the link... I think it's http://usmile.us). Anyways, the guy who wrote the article claimed that he was a total IMG (non-US citizen/non green-card) with a 97% in Step I. He followed the guidelines/strategies for maximum "MATCHNESS" by applying mostly to those programs which have a high track record of accepting total IMG's and ended up with a few offers in radiology. So, yeah, it's doable. I'm sure the Caribbean schools know the sweet, IMG-friendly spots where IMGs would have a better chance of matching (ie. suburban areas). Just to be on the bright side, there are guidelines where the US must meet a certain minimum quota of IMG residents each year (which is a good thing for IMGs).

Lastly, take everything you read on the net with a grain of salt. It's way better to dig out the info yourself. You can e-mail the schools for such information or search their FAQ's, look at their annual residency matches, etc. ;)

Here's my question...what do you consider a non-competative residency program. I know pediatrics and family pratice are 2...but what about emergency medicine? Can anyone shine some light?

Thanks

How does one 'end up with a few offers in radiology' in the match. It is one or none.
My bad. You should always take what you read online w a grain of salt. Perhaps he got a few letters of approval???? :confused: Anyways, the point is, he got into Rads. (Or maybe he didn't. Oh well who knows. But every major Caribb. schools show someone/some people who match in rad. every year).

Here's my question...what do you consider a non-competative residency program. I know pediatrics and family pratice are 2...but what about emergency medicine? Can anyone shine some light?
To my best knowledge, FM and IM are somewhat non-competitive. To my best knowledge, EM is intermediate/lower upper in competitiveness.

Surgery not being somewhat-competitive is soon to be a thing of the past. I am applying for a categorical spot in the Match this year and just received a rejection from a University program that received over 500+ applications for 3 categorical spots... and this is a 2nd tier program!! Check out the stats, the competitiveness of general surgery is definitely on the rise again. So if this is your goal and you are an FMG, better plan on crushing your USMLEs!

With respect to FP, IM, and Peds: LOTS of my classmates have already signed outside the match for spots next summer. One of the benefits of choosing the less competitive residencies...

JelicMD said:

Thanks

Add psych, and internal medicine as not as competitive. EM and Gas are somewhat competitive. So are OB/GYN and General Surgery.

I would think that Ob/GYN would be less competitive because of the rise in malpractice insurance costs or am I wrong about this

what about PM&R??

Members don't see this ad :)
skypilot said:
Add psych, and internal medicine as not as competitive. EM and Gas are somewhat competitive. So are OB/GYN and General Surgery.

Let me clear one thing up about gas. It's only really competitive in the big cities. There are a lot of smaller programs in smaller places that are pretty wide open provided you have decent Step scores (i.e., at least 200 on each Step).

Likewise, I know a lot of people this year (Ross) who didn't even break 200 on both Steps and are getting plenty of OB/Gyn interviews.

Very few folks I've talked to are even remotely interested in General Surgery - I'd imagine that it is still WIDE open as well.

Point is, as skypilot says, you will get a decent residency if you go to a decent Carib school. The U.S. needs doctors. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. And, if you go to a good FP residency, don't think that someday you won't make a lot of money in private practice. I know a LOT of FP docs who are pulling in $400-500K/year. It all depends on you. If you forget everything else I say, never forget that.

-Skip

"Very few folks I've talked to are even remotely interested in General Surgery - I'd imagine that it is still WIDE open as well." --SkipIntro

No one is interested in General Surgery? Why am I getting rejections that say things like "they had over 721 applications" for three categorical spots?! Gee, competing with about 240 people for your spot sounds WIDE open to me too...

cutslikeaknife said:
No one is interested in General Surgery? Why am I getting rejections that say things like "they had over 721 applications" for three categorical spots?! Gee, competing with about 240 people for your spot sounds WIDE open to me too...

Out of curiosity, what programs are you applying to cutslikeaknife?

jays2cool4u said:
Out of curiosity, what programs are you applying to cutslikeaknife?

Being FMG/IMG/WhateverMG, I applied to 40 general surg and 46 plastic/recon all across the country. Mostly university or community with university. No top tiers like Duke, Mass General, etc. The program referenced in my previous post is in NY, and it's actually 726 applicants, my bad...

cutslikeaknife said:
Being FMG/IMG/WhateverMG,s I applied to 40 general surg and 46 plastic/recon all across the country. Mostly university or community with university. No top tiers like Duke, Mass General, etc. The program referenced in my previous post is in NY, and it's actually 726 applicants, my bad...

IT seems to me that you didn't apply to enough programs.

CambieMD

cutslikeaknife said:

You sure it was a general surg program that told you that, and not a plastics?

-Skip

Skip Intro said:
You sure it was a general surg program that told you that, and not a plastics?

-Skip

G-Surg, baby! Can you believe it?

cutslikeaknife said:
G-Surg, baby! Can you believe it?

General surgery is fairly competative. There was a brief dop off in interest a short time ago but interest has picked up lately.

CambiMD

what about PM&R and Anesthesiology?Where on the competitive scale do they rank?? I heard that PM&R was generally an easy residency to match in, but is becoming more and more competitve. How hard is it becoming for Carrib. graduates to get into these programs??

How long is the general surgery residency?