US REsidensy Inquiry Citizenship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shirochan88

The Canadian
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Greeting,

Just wanted to know, if US residents who studied in a Caribbean School get a better advantage on Residensy position rather than lets say a Canadian Citizen who also studied in a Caribbean school?

I know that canadians will need to get a VISA. But from my knowledge in the Canadian System. your a IMG no matter your citizenship, so just wanted to know how the US system worked.

I know that there are quite a number of Residency positions availabe.

On Top of that, I know that residency positions such as Derm, and Radiology are extrememly competive, and IMG should really not even think of touching those spots. But What other ones are as compeitive? I would assume The Surgical ones like Cardio, Neuro and Ortho sugery is rare to land on an IMG's plate

What about General Surgery? cause if one wants to specilize in futher sugery, once their in General Surgery, might be able to apply for a fellowship after for futher specilization right?

So I guess my question is I'm a Canadian, if I study at a Caribbean School, and get decent Scores, on my boards, will I stand a chance of getting a Surgical Residency? whether its general or a special one?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Greeting,

Just wanted to know, if US residents who studied in a Caribbean School get a better advantage on Residensy position rather than lets say a Canadian Citizen who also studied in a Caribbean school?

I know that canadians will need to get a VISA. But from my knowledge in the Canadian System. your a IMG no matter your citizenship, so just wanted to know how the US system worked.

I know that there are quite a number of Residency positions availabe.

On Top of that, I know that residency positions such as Derm, and Radiology are extrememly competive, and IMG should really not even think of touching those spots. But What other ones are as compeitive? I would assume The Surgical ones like Cardio, Neuro and Ortho sugery is rare to land on an IMG's plate

What about General Surgery? cause if one wants to specilize in futher sugery, once their in General Surgery, might be able to apply for a fellowship after for futher specilization right?

So I guess my question is I'm a Canadian, if I study at a Caribbean School, and get decent Scores, on my boards, will I stand a chance of getting a Surgical Residency? whether its general or a special one?

Thanks

OK I think the only advantage to a US citizen verses IMG for residency is the Visa issue and the fact that there may be some bias towards a US citizen for the spot. I would not count on it though.

There is no doubt that any US citizen IMG has an advantage over a Canadian.
However, gen surg is definitely doable, if you are one of the brightest students in the class/ has a stellar USMLE score nd maybe willing to settle for a preliminary position instead of a categorical and also maybe spend one year in research....before applying to the match.
So bottom line: if you are young and has the stamina and the stats, why not?

Members don't see this ad :)
There is no doubt that any US citizen IMG has an advantage over a Canadian.
However, gen surg is definitely doable, if you are one of the brightest students in the class/ has a stellar USMLE score nd maybe willing to settle for a preliminary position instead of a categorical and also maybe spend one year in research....before applying to the match.
So bottom line: if you are young and has the stamina and the stats, why not?

what is a preliminary position?, does that mean the transitional year residencies? or did u just mean general surgery.

I guess my goal is to go for general surgery as a residency and if I do end up specilizing I can always opt for fellowships after.

Thx

Hello everyone,
I am a foreign trained dentist and
I am confused on which path to take...
1. Either go for an advanced placement program
OR
2.Go directly for a post-doctoral specialty programs.
whats your advice on this? given, I am not a US resident nor citizen, how would be the licensure afterwards? I knw that they require a social security number for this.