US Schools versus Canadian Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

purplebunnie

kicking the coke machine
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Anyone else deliberating between US schools and Canadian schools?

Advice! 😀
 
I'm not, but I know people at both. Which school are you choosing between.

I'm from CT too by the way 🙂

Yay Connecticut!

I'm between UPEI and Ohio State. Small expensive school vs. big school that will give residency. Neither with a strong exotics program 🙁
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Two of the vets I work with went to Ohio state, one of which graduated a few years ago. She loved it there, and it was nice for her to get in state tuition. I am interested in exotics too, and when I asked her about it she said that there wasn't anything there (which you know).

I know someone else that goes to PEI currently from CT and she is having a great time there too

One thing to consider with the exotics is you are going to have to do an externship to get the experience, most of the school I talked to recommended working with a zoo to gain some experience. One thing you could question is if one of the schools has a stronger relationship with one. I got into Ohio as well, and when someone from admissions called me, she said students interested in exotics can do an internship at a nearby zoo (I can't remember which one) that they have a relationship with. You could also look into if the schools have an exotics club. From what I've heard, clubs can provide lots of hands on experience that you can't get from class.

Ohio is about a 12 hour drive, PEI 18 hours

If cost and/or proximity/ease of going home is important, I would go to Ohio. If not, I would choose whichever school has a better relationship with a zoo or an exotics club.

Hope my babbling helped 🙂
 
It does help! I actually made the drive to PEI in 11.5 hours (I don't speed, I swear).

I guess I'm really trying to iron out the cost vs new experience thing. Everyone tells me if I have a good medicine base I can pick up anything I want after that.

It's all very overwhelming I find. I didn't expect to get the feedback I did. I thought I'd get an interview or two but instead I got them pretty much everywhere. Everyone I talk to tends to be really happy where they are as well.