Us SDNers not courteous to new users?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CaNEM

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
It seems to me that sometimes, we forget what we are doing here. In fact, arent we all SNDers to help each other out, encourage each other, and be honest with each other?

When someone like Ni1980 starts a post about interview invitations (link to thread here ), I think it is certainly appropriate to tell him that there already is such a thread, and direct him to it. How do you think it makes him and others like him feel, though, when we call him a "troll" and give him a hard time?

I remember when I first came to this message board, I was overwhelmed at first. I saw tons of post titles and numbers and user nicknames. It took me a few visits to get the hang of it, and to get used to looking back for older posts, using the search function, etc. I could have easily made the mistake, as I'm sure many of you could have, of creating a thread that already exists, if I had never been here before and didn't notice that one was already posted.

How exactly do you define "troll"? To me, it is someone who INTENTIONALLY causes disruption in an online community or message board like this one. Certainly, accidentally creating a repeat thread does not make one a troll. I'm sure the person who made this mistake is not feeling encouraged by SDNers at this time, and neither would I.

You might think this is a long post about nothing, but I think my point is that a little courtesy goes a long way. Lets keep in focus the reason we're here - to help each other out

Members don't see this ad.

I totally agree.

Members don't see this ad :)
I totally agree with you CANeM.
When you've used SDN for a while, it grows on you and you forget what it looked like when you first started.
So welcome NI980, Tein, and others! This is a great site for advice (and procrastination!)
Bounty :)

Hehe SMW, we said "I totally agree" at the same time. 1-2-3 Jinx! (Did you guys do that when you were younger/)

well you guys know i agree with CaNEM. well said!

i guess i did become a troll for the latter half of my spree. damn...

Originally posted by Bounty
Hehe SMW, we said "I totally agree" at the same time. 1-2-3 Jinx! (Did you guys do that when you were younger/)

yep, of course! But I've already applied and been accepted, so can't be jinxed, so there! :p ;)

Good points. However, I don't agree with the reactions of some "so-called" trolls when some persecutes them for posting a thread already going. It's one thing to apologize and move on, but it's another to post garbage because you are mad. I think the reaction coming from most people here is a direct result of the over-reaction to re-posting.

shadd-up troll!!!

just kidding. i try to be helpful but really im just a big dumb non-trad.

Originally posted by Ninjaboy
Good points. However, I don't agree with the reactions of some "so-called" trolls when some persecutes them for posting a thread already going. It's one thing to apologize and move on, but it's another to post garbage because you are mad. I think the reaction coming from most people here is a direct result of the over-reaction to re-posting.

well said as well.

There should be some sort of basic training course you need to complete before you can post here. The army has basic training, and all you need to do is die.

maybe they should have a test, just to see how helpful you are naturally