US trained and board certified now coming back to Canada?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sarendipitousmd

Reaction score
Hi there

Wondering if there's anyone here is US trained and certified and is on the pathway back to Canada (particularly Ontario) as am I? It would be nice to touch base and provide support navigating through the process.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,
Reaching out, if you were able to continue with this process. I am US trained, FM 3rd yar resident, I am willing to go back to ontario. were you able to go back to Ontario? if yes, How long did the certification process take for you?

Members don't see this ad :)
As a US MD who has done it, I do not recommend this plan. The medical environment is so underfunded, the doctors so overworked and the situation so bad....also the billing system is terrible. Quality of care for the patients and resources are absolutely at the bottom.

As a US MD who has done it, I do not recommend this plan. The medical environment is so underfunded, the doctors so overworked and the situation so bad....also the billing system is terrible. Quality of care for the patients and resources are absolutely at the bottom.

How about in terms of other aspects such as ease of finding a job, pay, QoL, opportunities for career advancement...etc? Is it worth it trying to go back to Canada? (With respect to IM/subspecialties specifically)

I'd personally love to stay in the US if (and only if) I were a citizen. but for most of us its residency + fellowship + 3y waiver + many more years until green card. may as well finish residency and go back to Canada where we have citizenship and end the hassle there, depending on how bad it compares.

Can you outline the process to do so though please?

There are quite a few good resources online including Hippocratic Adventures (they also have a FB group with pretty active message boards). It is largely dependent upon your specialty and desired province, but in the past several months it has been greatly simplified in Ontario and BC. You will find good arguments on this forum, FB, reddit, etc about pros/cons but in general both the US and Canada have their systemic/financial/geographic/political perks and drawbacks, and those who move from one place to the next with only a career-based "grass is always greener" mindset will probably be disappointed.

How about in terms of other aspects such as ease of finding a job, pay, QoL, opportunities for career advancement...etc? Is it worth it trying to go back to Canada? (With respect to IM/subspecialties specifically)

I'd personally love to stay in the US if (and only if) I were a citizen. but for most of us its residency + fellowship + 3y waiver + many more years until green card. may as well finish residency and go back to Canada where we have citizenship and end the hassle there, depending on how bad it compares.
You can seamlessley transition to a green card after the waiver if you start the process early