US vs Foreign LoR

Started by Drscopes
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Drscopes

Mike-o-plasma
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi there fellas! Non US IMG here (Indian)

Had a little question if anybody can help with.
Planning to apply for the 2020 match cycle. Is it advisable to upload all 4 LoRs from US attendings or 3 from US attendings and 1 from home school department head (Indian med school)?
I have heard that program directors do not pay any attention to foreign letters (unless from a US trained physician).

Any comments on that, from those who have already matched or have any insight about this?
 
If you have 4 US LORs, you should use them all, unless you've completed a residency in India, in which case, a LOR from your PD there is probably a good idea.
Really appreciate your response!
I have 5 LoRs from 4 rotations, of which 2 are from different attendings during the same rotation. And 1 is from a rotation I did >2 years ago! Would you recommend using the 2 LoRs from same rotation (since they are very recent) or should I include the one from the rotation I did 2 years ago (however, it's been written recently)?

So sorry about my weird/dumb question!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
@aProgDirector, @gutonc your contribution to this forum is great! I ve got a similar question about LoRs.
I ve got a US LoR but its wtitten back in 2018, should I use it or just apply with 3 LoRs (1 US, 2 non, all recent and strong)?