US vs Foreign LoR

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Drscopes

Mike-o-plasma
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there fellas! Non US IMG here (Indian)

Had a little question if anybody can help with.
Planning to apply for the 2020 match cycle. Is it advisable to upload all 4 LoRs from US attendings or 3 from US attendings and 1 from home school department head (Indian med school)?
I have heard that program directors do not pay any attention to foreign letters (unless from a US trained physician).

Any comments on that, from those who have already matched or have any insight about this?

Members don't see this ad.

If you have 4 US LORs, you should use them all, unless you've completed a residency in India, in which case, a LOR from your PD there is probably a good idea.
Really appreciate your response!
I have 5 LoRs from 4 rotations, of which 2 are from different attendings during the same rotation. And 1 is from a rotation I did >2 years ago! Would you recommend using the 2 LoRs from same rotation (since they are very recent) or should I include the one from the rotation I did 2 years ago (however, it's been written recently)?

So sorry about my weird/dumb question!

@aProgDirector, @gutonc your contribution to this forum is great! I ve got a similar question about LoRs.
I ve got a US LoR but its wtitten back in 2018, should I use it or just apply with 3 LoRs (1 US, 2 non, all recent and strong)?

@aProgDirector, @gutonc your contribution to this forum is great! I ve got a similar question about LoRs.
I ve got a US LoR but its wtitten back in 2018, should I use it or just apply with 3 LoRs (1 US, 2 non, all recent and strong)?
If it's your 4th LOR, no reason not to use it.

Reactions: 1 user