DrChandy

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 28, 2004
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
"ER Waiting Rooms Defy Stereotypes"

"Countering a popular belief, researchers say that communities with higher numbers of uninsured, Hispanics or non-citizens have a lower use of hospital emergency departments.
Instead, places with the highest levels of emergency department use are those with more elderly residents, communities where people have to wait a long time for appointments with their own doctors and places where a smaller percentage of the population is enrolled in HMOs vs. other kinds of insurance....

....The findings from a review of 60 communities come amid increasing concern about crowding that has led to ambulances being diverted and long waits in the nation's emergency departments. "

http://www.usatoday.com/money/industries/health/2006-07-18-er-visits-usat_x.htm

About the Ads

Hawkeye Kid

15+ Year Member
Mar 30, 2005
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
I just read an article as part of our intern orientation reading series (yes, it's as enthralling as it sounds) that quoted some JCAHO higer-up as saying that ED overcrowding isn't necessarily a trend, but part of the long-term ebb and flow, or something to that effect. i thought it was interesting that an organization that has an anti-granola-bar-at-the-nurses-desk policy isn't concerned about something so much more significant. :rolleyes:

Siggy

15+ Year Member
Oct 27, 2004
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
I wonder how much over crowding is caused by SNF patients whos PMD was too busy playing golf to take care of a cold?

docB

Chronically painful
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Nov 27, 2002
Las Vegas, NV
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Apollyon said:
I don't believe these doctors (for SNFs and nursing homes) actually exist.
Sure they do. I see evidence all the time on the paperwork the EMTs hand me. "TO: Tfer to ER per Dr. SNF."
Occasionally I even get to talk to Dr. SNF on the phone. He says, "Admit that to someone else. click."

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.