USA vs some Asian nations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Shredder

User
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
would any of you choose to live in any Asian nations instead of the USA? specifically, Hong Kong, Japan, and Singapore, since these are economic powerhouses in Asia with great prosperity and quality of life. any pros and cons? how is the healthcare in these 3 countries?

i would love to hear from anyone who has actually lived/lives in these places.

Members don't see this ad.

Shredder said:
would any of you choose to live in any Asian nations instead of the USA? specifically, Hong Kong, Japan, and Singapore, since these are economic powerhouses in Asia with great prosperity and quality of life. any pros and cons? how is the healthcare in these 3 countries?

I went on a vacation with my parents to Hong Kong last year. It's a pretty cool place. A lot like New York with tons more Asian peoples. Actually, there were quite a number of British nationals living there as well, I suppose on business. I think I could live there since you can get by knowing English. I probably wouldn't want to live in Japan or Singapore, even though I love sushi! It's just an English language thing.

There are lots of English speakers in Hong Kong. Hi tech stuff is EVERYWHERE! I got this really cool cell phone that all my friends were like, where did ya get that?! Anyway, I could probably live in HK for a little while, but not sure if I could do it permanently since friends and family would be too far away. I know nothing about the healthcare in these places, other than the hospital we drove by was VERY nice looking. So, are you thinking of moving there yourself?

BlondeCookie said:
I went on a vacation with my parents to Hong Kong last year. It's a pretty cool place. A lot like New York with tons more Asian peoples. Actually, there were quite a number of British nationals living there as well, I suppose on business. I think I could live there since you can get by knowing English. I probably wouldn't want to live in Japan or Singapore, even though I love sushi! It's just an English language thing.

There are lots of English speakers in Hong Kong. Hi tech stuff is EVERYWHERE! I got this really cool cell phone that all my friends were like, where did ya get that?! Anyway, I could probably live in HK for a little while, but not sure if I could do it permanently since friends and family would be too far away. I know nothing about the healthcare in these places, other than the hospital we drove by was VERY nice looking. So, are you thinking of moving there yourself?
im a super capitalist, and i read that HK is the exemplar of laissez faire. im starting to feel slightly cramped in the usa in this regard; considering expatriation. just entertaining the notion of it. or at least study abroad or something like that, as im still an undergraduate. i am planning on pursuing medicine and business, so i was wondering about HKs healthcare scene. i know the place is very conducive to business.

i see what you mean about the english thing. HK fortunately had british rule, so they established the language there, as in india. my ancestry is actually from india, so im concerned about standing out in HK. new york--yeah, HK and tokyo are like asian new yorks. english is an official language of HK...appealing.

geez, your posts are ALL over the place, its impossible for me to deduce your background. it seems youre a med student, but i have very little idea.

Members don't see this ad :)
BlondeCookie said:
I probably wouldn't want to live in Japan or Singapore, even though I love sushi! It's just an English language thing.
The official language in Singapore is English ;) and from my experience, at least in most areas, it is the most you hear all the time.

all young singaporeans can speak english, its our first language.

Hong Kong is a great place to live in. I reside in the U.S., but I visit Hong Kong frequently. Technology there, especially cell phones, are the best. Let's just take the new MotoRazr that was advertised in the U.S. like 4 months ago? Hong Kong people had the phone in their hands since January. Of course, over there, the phone was worth $650, so it depends. I think that if you love the active life in New York, then you would love living in Hong Kong. Japan is also a great place to live and everything is high-tech there too. They're are lets say more diversity in clothing in Japan than in America. I've never visited Singapore so I can't help you about that.
(Hopes that this information helps)

so would any of you guys choose to live in any of those places instead of the US, and why/why not? thanks for the input. im just getting a little tired of the US, i need a new perspective.

theunraveler said:
all young singaporeans can speak english, its our first language.

yeah, right. most singaporeans think that their first language is english and that they are fluent in the language but NOWAY!! i realized that their first language is actually Singlish which is the very wierd combination of english and chinese and it doesnt' make any sense when you hear it first time.

i dont really understand why they still think they are the native speakers of english.

just a thought...

whiteE8 said:
yeah, right. most singaporeans think that their first language is english and that they are fluent in the language but NOWAY!! i realized that their first language is actually Singlish which is the very wierd combination of english and chinese and it doesnt' make any sense when you hear it first time.

i dont really understand why they still think they are the native speakers of english.

just a thought...
haha...that would be interesting to hear. maybe like "blinglish" in the states.

Shredder said:
would any of you choose to live in any Asian nations instead of the USA?

I used to live in Austin, then went to Hawaii for 3 years. Now in Bangladesh for 2 years before I move on to some other country. Bangladesh is the cheapest Asian place to live but not high on most people's wish list. Getting paid in American dollars pretty much makes me rich! Free house and a bearer/cook for $100 a month and a driver for the same plus car for $600 a year is making me a lazy guy! :eek:

Shredder said:

HI,

I think you may face certain difficulty while moving to asian countries.
Anyways you can get lot of information regarding the countriesHealth Information

why dont you guys consider thailand? Beautiful country with friendly people.
But you will encounter problem in communication. Hardly they speak english, even though they are one of the most visited places by foreigner.
Ive been here for four years and i kinda love it. They are superb friendly. Yet if you want to work here you have to fluently read and speak thais.... hahh..ahha... which is the most damn difficult thing to do on earth.hahhaahah

Shredder said:
so would any of you guys choose to live in any of those places instead of the US, and why/why not? thanks for the input. im just getting a little tired of the US, i need a new perspective.

Well, it depends on what kind of person you are. If you are socialable and can stand learning another language and love technology then I think you should take a chance and live in Hong Kong. I would actually like to live outside the U.S. someday and I would pick Japan. Japan is a very, let's say, high fashion country. Instead of magazines taking photos of celebrities, they would take photos of models and just clothes themselves. It's really a very big shopping center. So, it depends on your personality. Hopes this helps.

Members don't see this ad :)
japan is a nice place, the people are helpful and honest, its a serene country, has an interesting culture, and its a good place to work. as an added bonus, the shopping (and food) is superb. but beware.. its expensive to live there (well at least for me). japanese doctors are also very helpful and approchable (at least in my experience).

hong kong is a little similar to japan, at least that's what i think.

personally if you want to live in an asian country the best thing to do may be to visit it first and see how you'll like it.. its gonna be different than livin' in the US. :) good luck!

Shredder said:
im a super capitalist, and i read that HK is the exemplar of laissez faire. im starting to feel slightly cramped in the usa in this regard; considering expatriation. just entertaining the notion of it. or at least study abroad or something like that, as im still an undergraduate. i am planning on pursuing medicine and business, so i was wondering about HKs healthcare scene. i know the place is very conducive to business.

i see what you mean about the english thing. HK fortunately had british rule, so they established the language there, as in india. my ancestry is actually from india, so im concerned about standing out in HK. new york--yeah, HK and tokyo are like asian new yorks. english is an official language of HK...appealing.

geez, your posts are ALL over the place, its impossible for me to deduce your background. it seems youre a med student, but i have very little idea.

My SO is from HK, and from what he said, he had TONS of indian friends in high school. apparently, due to the british rule, a lot of indians ALSO moved there and are still there. he told me that it's really a normal thing to see indian ppl (as well as caucasian and other asians) living in HK, and ppl hardly even notice.

his best friend didn't even speak a word of english (his parents are foreigners) and he was able to live there for 20 years.

HK has a very multi cultural population; numerous people of Indian, European and Australian orgin have lived in HK for generations.

Having said that, I would not mind living in India in the near future. It is great for business and the lifestyle can be really great if you have money, nightlife is great and lots of places to travel. In the professional world English is the primary language.

Dubai would be another great place to live. I was born and raised in the middle east so i might be a little biased... nonetheless Dubai is awesome, none of that Islamic fundamentalism crap, excellent place to do business, lifestyle is great and english is the primary language.

Shredder said:

why do u want to move out of USA?

AMMD said:
HK has a very multi cultural population; numerous people of Indian, European and Australian orgin have lived in HK for generations.

Having said that, I would not mind living in India in the near future. It is great for business and the lifestyle can be really great if you have money, nightlife is great and lots of places to travel. In the professional world English is the primary language.

Dubai would be another great place to live. I was born and raised in the middle east so i might be a little biased... nonetheless Dubai is awesome, none of that Islamic fundamentalism crap, excellent place to do business, lifestyle is great and english is the primary language.

I completely gree with you!!! I love India .. but would love to live in Dubai .. :love: !!!

*TRINITY* said:
in summary i would have to say all the liberal people and sentiments, theyre annoying. theyve overrun academia entirely (and im faced with the prospect of many more years of it). not only that though, also the culture is growing somewhat decadent. roman empire? other negatives: obesity, sprawl, crime

*TRINITY* said:

Well, USA is a great country no doubt about that. However, there are some things that are lacking in the US as well (aside from political corruption as opposed to corporate corruption, communicable diseases, etc ). I felt closer to God when I was in the Philippines than here for some reason. I feel that it's because in the US I feel self-sufficient thus not needing to be close with God (or maybe because I was a kid back then). Life is slower in third world countries, especially in rural areas. People (except those darn politicians and criminals) are really concerned about you build strong and deep relationships with them. have you ever heard of people coming from mission trips stating that they've met people who don't have too much material stuff yet are still happy?
Many people move to the US because of financial stability/social mobility. However, many immigrants are still wishing to go back to their country even for a visit to see their relatives and return to the place where they grew up. 3rd world countries have that charm and warmth that US can't replace.

Living in the third-world is not for everyone, though. :oops: Some people can't stand the dirtiness, the inefficiencies, the weather, etc. etc.

Are rents reasonable in Dubai for someone living in Northeastern USA?

Also, are there any medical schools in Hong Kong that teach in English (going back to original sediment of thread starter :p )?

TheDervish said:
Are rents reasonable in Dubai for someone living in Northeastern USA?

Also, are there any medical schools in Hong Kong that teach in English (going back to original sediment of thread starter :p )?
dubai, move to one of the artificial islands or the future tallest building. those dubai-nese are rolling in their oil money

i dont mind if the thread digresses. i do worry about the status of hong kongs capitalistic success and mainland chinese influence on that though

Shredder said:
in summary i would have to say all the liberal people and sentiments, theyre annoying. theyve overrun academia entirely (and im faced with the prospect of many more years of it). not only that though, also the culture is growing somewhat decadent. roman empire? other negatives: obesity, sprawl, crime

I couldn't agree more. I am okay with obesity, but the US media can be a very big turnoff. Academia....Don't let me get started on THAT. Moving out of the US will give you a new perspective in life. It worked for me. Hopes it will work for you too.

WHat kind of jobs can we get in asian countries as americans with american degrees. I am planning on going to medical school but i dont know if it would be worth it to go through with medicine here and earn money overseas...I'd be broke. But I would love to live and work in asia for a while....I loved living in abu dhabi uae, I was born and raised there.

Dubai is now most famous place in the world. Hong kong is behind within 5 years. Just see. My challange.

Japan or South Korea would be quite nice place to live