djsahand

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 23, 2005
Berkeley, CA
Status
hey guys
so i hear a lot of bad things about USC and PBL and how its a waste of money, u dont learn much..
ive also heard students are unhappy there...
does anyone know if these comments are true?
what do people know about USCs dental program?
anyone out there who loves it?
thanks

Lostinbul

Pray'n for a letter!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 10, 2005
Status
djsahand said:
hey guys
so i hear a lot of bad things about USC and PBL and how its a waste of money, u dont learn much..
thanks
I just interviewed there and to tell you the truth I came away with a much more positive attitude toward PBL than I initially had. I think the school is designed for those individuals who consider themselves "self motiviated" otherwise it is very possible to graduate without learning much. I would actually consider going to USC given the chance if it were not so @#%# expensive. Let's just say that the difference of $100,000 over the course of 4 years is enough deterant for me (not to mention the cost of living)! Anyway, there's my two cents.

blumnday99

15+ Year Member
Mar 3, 2004
Visit site
Status
Lostinbul said:
I just interviewed there and to tell you the truth I came away with a much more positive attitude toward PBL than I initially had. I think the school is designed for those individuals who consider themselves "self motiviated" otherwise it is very possible to graduate without learning much. I would actually consider going to USC given the chance if it were not so @#%# expensive. Let's just say that the difference of $100,000 over the course of 4 years is enough deterant for me (not to mention the cost of living)! Anyway, there's my two cents.
I actually like PBL. I don't think I'd be able to stand another 4 years of lectures all day. I think that Lostinbul is correct and this program is designed for those people that are "self-motivated". I've had more time during my first year than other traditional dental schools, but I think that at least some of that time is supposed to be spent studying on my own.

Envision

Envisioning...
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 14, 2005
Irvine
Status
Dentist
bump

superchris147

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 24, 2005
Status
djsahand said:
hey guys
thanks
i had a director of one of their residency programs tell me not to go there for undergrad. so apparently he didn't care that much for their pbl system

this was a little over a year ago

i also have a friend of a friend who was a first year last year who loved it because he was never stressed and he thought it wasn't that hard. so that's good i guess

Dr.BadVibes

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Sep 1, 2003
Toronto, Centre of Canada
Visit site
Status
I dont know much about the PBL system, but from what I gather, why would you pay soooo much money to teach yourself?

teefRcool

10+ Year Member
Sep 2, 2005
Status
Dr.BadVibes said:
I dont know much about the PBL system, but from what I gather, why would you pay soooo much money to teach yourself?
What kind of $#%$# statement is that. You pay that much money to get ur paper so you can work!!!! All out of state and privates cost about the same as SC!

drhobie7

10+ Year Member
Jun 9, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
Status
Resident [Any Field]
superchris147 said:
i also have a friend of a friend who was a first year last year who loved it because he was never stressed and he thought it wasn't that hard. so that's good i guess
I don't think that lasts past 1st year. Like most dental schools, I hear 2nd year is rough.

Lostinbul

Pray'n for a letter!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 10, 2005
Status
teefRcool said:
What kind of $#%$# statement is that. You pay that much money to get ur paper so you can work!!!! All out of state and privates cost about the same as SC!
Sorry to burst your bubble man, but all out of state and privates do not cost about the same as SC! In fact SC is much more expensive than almost any other option out there.

teefRcool

10+ Year Member
Sep 2, 2005
Status
Lostinbul said:
Sorry to burst your bubble man, but all out of state and privates do not cost about the same as SC! In fact SC is much more expensive than almost any other option out there.
Please when u gonna say somthing dun talk out of ur arse. And of course there is exceptions to everything. There is no such thing as all. But USC is not the only one thats priced that way.

USC= 268k

UOP= 242K
BYU=283k
NYU= 294k
UNLV=277k
UPENN=264k
Tufts=257k

This is from ADEA

eapleitez

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 5, 2004
Los Angeles, CA
www.myspace.com
Status
Dental Student
teefRcool said:
You really are paying that much money to teach yourself. Lecturers aren't teachig you. I think that if they are doing full-time PBL, then they need to reduce tuition. That would be fair. But I think PBL is not that great, IMO.

adamlc18

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 3, 2004
Will 2nd year ever end?
Status
Dental Student
teefRcool said:
Please when u gonna say somthing dun talk out of ur arse. And of course there is exceptions to everything. There is no such thing as all. But USC is not the only one thats priced that way.

USC= 268k

UOP= 242K
BYU=283k
NYU= 294k
UNLV=277k
UPENN=264k
Tufts=257k

This is from ADEA
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Beestieboy

Keep on keepin' on
10+ Year Member
Aug 27, 2005
Omaha NE
Status
Dental Student
LMAO!! Good eye there adamlc18. I had missed that.

Fact of the matter is that USC is one of the most expensive. You can't argue that. And what is up with those numbers for UNLV? Are they assuming that you are just going to pass on the chance to get in-state tuition after the first year? First year=50K, 2nd and 3rd years =30K each and 4th year +20K. Total for tuition (if pay first year out of state and from 2nd year on in state) =130K. If you're against getting in-state tuition...sure, I guess they wouldn't mind you paying over 200K.

lionelhutz

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 3, 2004
Status
okay.... i'm a 1st year at usc right now and I'm not liking it so much. PBL is an interesting way to learn, but a lot of times I just think that it's a big waste of time. I know that at the end we will all have the same dds/dmd degree and take all the same boards, but I just can'thelp but feel at I'm being cheated out of an education and money. here's what I did this past week....
mon: pbl for about 3 hours
tues: no pbl sessions or rotations or anything else planned (stay home, go to the gym or the beach)
wed: pbl for a couple of hours and morph lab for about 3-4 hours
thurs: no pbl sessions or rotations or anything else planned (stay home, go to the gym or the beach)
fri: pbl for a few hours

thats it! I know that this might sound nerdy... but I want to learn more! pbl, as of right now, is just not cutting it for me. everyday i feel as if i should have gone somewhere else. i've talked with some 2nd years that have said that they learned almost nothing during year 1... I don't know about others but i want to be a damn good dentist and i wanna know my shi t. tests mean nothing and no one fails out at usc... there is no way one can get anything less than a B.

but it has only been a few months.... it might get better. and yes, i have also heard from upperclassmen that 2nd year is a bit tougher.

feel free to pm me with any other questions.

EyeAmCommi

Los Angeles Smog
10+ Year Member
Feb 8, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
Status
lionelhutz said:
okay.... i'm a 1st year at usc right now and I'm not liking it so much. PBL is an interesting way to learn, but a lot of times I just think that it's a big waste of time. I know that at the end we will all have the same dds/dmd degree and take all the same boards, but I just can'thelp but feel at I'm being cheated out of an education and money. here's what I did this past week....
tues: no pbl sessions or rotations or anything else planned (stay home, go to the gym or the beach)
thurs: no pbl sessions or rotations or anything else planned (stay home, go to the gym or the beach)

thats it! I know that this might sound nerdy... but I want to learn more! pbl, as of right now, is just not cutting it for me. everyday i feel as if i should have gone somewhere else. i've talked with some 2nd years that have said that they learned almost nothing during year 1... I don't know about others but i want to be a damn good dentist and i wanna know my shi t. tests mean nothing and no one fails out at usc... there is no way one can get anything less than a B.

but it has only been a few months.... it might get better. and yes, i have also heard from upperclassmen that 2nd year is a bit tougher.

Awww thanks for the low down. I'm deathly afraid of PBL and now I know I am rightly so!

blumnday99

15+ Year Member
Mar 3, 2004
Visit site
Status
lionelhutz said:

Are you saying that you're not sure what you're supposed to study?

Mark

blumnday99

15+ Year Member
Mar 3, 2004
Visit site
Status
EyeAmCommi said:
Awww thanks for the low down. I'm deathly afraid of PBL and now I know I am rightly so!
I think PBL is definately a love/hate relationship. I am also a first year student and this is what I did last week.

Monday: Arrive at school in the morning...study until afternoon PBL session. After session, study a for two hours after session...go work out.
Tuesday: No rotation scheduled. Used this day to run errands
Wednesdsay: Same as Monday
Thursday: Arrive at school in the morning. Assist in onlay cementation on clinic floor. Eat lunch. Study until 5P, work out.
Friday: Arrive at school in the morning...assist in data collection / treatment planning. Meet with PBL group for case closing.

Next week I'm scheduled to assist with two procedure during my free time. I like that PBL gives me chance to spend my time on the clinic floor or to start studying for the boards.

Feel free to PM me about PBL also...but I think that LionelHutz and I have very different opinions about PBL.

teefRcool

10+ Year Member
Sep 2, 2005
Status
I would think more people would want to pay more money so that they can relax. Than to pay less money and stress.

I'm obviously missing something here.

Maybe the question is what percent of students specialize?
and what percent pass and become general-dents?

lionelhutz

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 3, 2004
Status
blumnday is correct... PBL is definitely love it or hate it. There are people I know that can't imagine learning any other way. Then there are people like me that think that its a complete waste of time. I mean if I wanted to teach dentistry to my self (which is what PBL essentially is) I'd go and buy a copy "Dentistry for Dummies" for $19.95 at Amazon and keep my $65k+ tuition.

Again.. this is just my opinion... but, other than PBL everything else at USC is great really.

food4thots

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 5, 2005
Status
Dental Student
bad rep? according to the Associate Press, USA Today, and BCS, they're #1

in football that is..

blumnday99

15+ Year Member
Mar 3, 2004
Visit site
Status
lionelhutz said:
blumnday is correct... PBL is definitely love it or hate it. There are people I know that can't imagine learning any other way. Then there are people like me that think that its a complete waste of time. I mean if I wanted to teach dentistry to my self (which is what PBL essentially is) I'd go and buy a copy "Dentistry for Dummies" for $19.95 at Amazon and keep my $65k+ tuition.

Again.. this is just my opinion... but, other than PBL everything else at USC is great really.
You make it seem as though the schools isn't good for anything except for the building that we go to sit in. I think that the PBL works well if the case is designed well. I definately feel more motivated to study during the case than if they had just told me to read Histology Chapters 1-5.

TeethVader

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 24, 2005
Status
Dental Student
Ok guys! I'm a first year at SC too and this is my take: In my opinion, PBL is a good way to teach us how to think critically. Sometimes though, I definitelly think we do need to have some lectures for some of the most complex subjects such as Oral Radiology. Dental Morphology is not to be covered in a week but perhaps in a three-week span or even more. I do NOT want Rotations I want Lectures for some of the most complicated subjects. I don't regret coming to SC; common 09ners! The SC brand will take us places and we will do very well as dentists. This school is all about self-discipline. Whenever I have free time I am always studying or doing something school-related. My two cents.....

jk5177

Just Kidding
10+ Year Member
Jul 28, 2004
Oregon
Status
Dentist
food4thots said:
bad rep? according to the Associate Press, USA Today, and BCS, they're #1

in football that is..
LOL!

jk5177

Just Kidding
10+ Year Member
Jul 28, 2004
Oregon
Status
Dentist
I think it is really what you make out of it.
Also, I believe that learning "with guidance" is what PBL is about, some people tend to oversimplify it as learning on one's own - which I disagree about that as the description to PBL. Then again, I don't know much about how PBL system works.