USC DPT Class of 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ewozob

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just received my acceptance letter from USC. Anyone else?

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats. If you're planning on attending I'd heavily consider looking into and applying for school scholarships, external scholarships, etc - unless you have other financial support.

Welcome to SDN.

Cost is definitely one of my main concerns, although the other schools I'm waiting to hear from are also pricey. I know the earning potential of a PT has a pretty solid ceiling, so I'm not entirely sure its worth it to pay SO much money to go to USC. However, I did do my undergrad at SC and it was one of the best experiences of my life and I'm sure the DPT program would be too. Regardless, I have to send in my deposit because I won't hear from my other programs of choice until after the SC deadline has passed.

Members don't see this ad :)

I was accepted too! Went to the reception on Saturday and was really impressed. The main thing holding me back is the cost too...

It's definitely pricey, plus the cost of living in LA is ridiculous! I couldn't make it to the open house (I live in Oklahoma and it was short notice) but have scheduled a visit for February 7 so I'm hoping it helps to sway me one way or another. I did my undergrad work at USC so I know how great of an institution it is but I'm almost wondering if I should go elsewhere just to experience something new. However, I have sent my deposit in to secure a spot as I won't hear from my other top choice for a few more weeks.

Does anyone know if USC has filled up their class yet? Are more letters being sent out soon?

I don't know for sure, but i highly doubt their class is full. Deposits are due Jan. 25 (or at least that is what my letter said) so I'm assuming they will send out another round of acceptances soon.

Congrats to you all! I will be applying to USC next cycle. Would you mind telling me some of your stats?

Honestly my stats weren't too impressive. I retook one class at a community college this past fall but that didn't really affect my GPA at all.

Undergrad GPA: 3.16 (University of Southern California, B.S. Kinesiology)
Combined science/math GPA: 3.25
Master's GPA: 3.94 (University of Arkansas, Athletic Training)
Cumulative GPA: 3.62

Extracurriculars: Joint educational project, volunteer athletic trainer (undergrad), Kappa Alpha Theta Sorority (a few exec positions), Razorback Athletic Trainer's Assoc. (2 terms as treasurer)
Published a case study in IJATT and presented case at ACSM annual conference 2012
Participated in many research studies (data collection)

I have literally thousands of hours in the athletic training room but unfortunately those don't count as PT observation. I did about 24 general inpatient hours and 24 or so peds (both inpatient and outpatient) along with 100+ general outpatient hours. I'm now working part time as an ATC/PT Aide in the same clinic where I did my outpt. hours.

it said in the e-mail that they would let students know in april or may. am i missing something? =\

it said in the e-mail that they would let students know in april or may. am i missing something? =\

they are sending out responses up until april, so you can get a response any day. thats what someone at the admissions office told me

Do any of you mind sharing your stats? I am doubting my chances of acceptance to USC, but would like to hear some of your stories. Thank you :)

Just got a letter in the mail dated 2/6/13 that I was put on their Alternate List. I have to respond by mail to let them know if I want to stay on it or not by 2/15/13.

Just got a letter in the mail dated 2/6/13 that I was put on their Alternate List. I have to respond by mail to let them know if I want to stay on it or not by 2/15/13.

PThopeful89, would you mind to share your stats, PLEASE???

I got a acceptance letter dated 2/5 and they required a deposit by 2/22. On PTCAS my application was mailed on 10/30. My stats:

Undergrad: UCSD
Cumulative GPA: 3.28
Prereq GPA: 3.60
GRE: 159V 154Q 4.0W
Hours: 900 outpatient ortho. 40 inpatient acute rehab
Extracurriculars: Not too much. Mainly community service in undergrad.
Work experience: Part-time PT aide for 6 months. Full time research associate in basic sciences for 3 years.

I don't think I will be attending. I think cost is a huge issue considering USC is 50k more than some of the other schools I applied to. Also class size is larger than most.

Just FYI their class size is large but in all labs you are broken up into small groups. The student:faculty ratio ends up being similar to that of any other program. Dr. Dominguez said that in most labs they have around 14 instructors, so only 6-8 students per group. But yes, the cost is astronomical... partially due to the fact that they have 110 faculty members they have to pay!

Sure thing, easb. I feel that mine are not that stellar. If anything gave me a leg-up, I believe it would have been my LOR's or essay. But the Alternate List is a far cry from the acceptance list haha.

Undergrad: James Madison University
Cumulative GPA: 3.56
Science/Math GPA: ~3.03 (according to PTCAS, every school has different "pre-req" GPA's)
GRE Scores: 156V 151Q 4.5A (approximate scores, since I took my GRE a few months before they changed the scoring)
Observation Hours: 1000+ at outpatient ortho (2 facilities, mainly the one where I work now), ~8 neuro
Extracurriculars: PEK member (kinesiology professional co-ed fraternity), Secretary of a club for a few years, research assistant (2 semesters), wrote for a university health publication (1 semester), interned with an athletic training staff at a nearby college (1 semester), and other volunteer activities.
Work Exp.: Full Time PT Tech since last May, worked ~20 hours/wk during my junior year, worked each summer.

Hope this helps!

Hey so I got accepted jan 2nd and I am going!!! Who else is going for sure???