rycetrix

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 12, 2008
Status
Pharmacist
So I heard from my friend that a USC pharm school representative who came to our school a couple of weeks ago said interpersonal speech is not necessary any more and that just the regular speech class is fine when applying for pharmacy school. Is this true?

Farmercyst

From the shadows
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Sep 21, 2006
The bottom of a pile of debt.
Status
Pharmacist
http://www.usc.edu/schools/pharmacy/pharmd/admission/requirements.html#Interpersonal Communication

"Starting with the 2007-08 application season, public speaking courses will no longer be accepted."

you should probably call the SOP and ask them directly
Based on context, public speaking courses will no longer be accepted as a substitute for the interpersonal communication requirement. So yes, interpersonal communication is still required, but no, public speaking will not be an acceptable replacement.

OP
R

rycetrix

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 12, 2008
Status
Pharmacist
I should probably call to confirm or something because my friend said a USC pharmacy school representative said that interpersonal communication is NOT required for the upcoming applications, but obviously the website says otherwise. I just wonder why USC stresses so much on interpersonal comm vs. a regular public speech class.

ExpressMaiL

alea iacta est
10+ Year Member
Oct 26, 2007
You not it dates Summer kuh
Status
Academic Administration
I should probably call to confirm or something because my friend said a USC pharmacy school representative said that interpersonal communication is NOT required for the upcoming applications, but obviously the website says otherwise. I just wonder why USC stresses so much on interpersonal comm vs. a regular public speech class.
Interpersonal communications is a theory based class and you learn a lot more than a generic "public speech" course.

skysong

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 11, 2005
Southern California
Status
Pharmacy Student
I think it's true -- I heard from a friend who heard from a usc pharm advisor that usc will start accepting public speaking courses. Easiest way to verify would be to call or email them -- they're pretty good with responding.

HolyLights

Space Monkey
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 3, 2008
Status
Pharmacy Student
I went to the USC information session, for the fall 09 applicants, they will accept Public speaking and/or Interpersonal Communication. They changed their pre-req this year so it is one or the other. They will take both or either one will work. I made sure to ask them about this and it's confirm for fall 09 application process.

OP
R

rycetrix

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 12, 2008
Status
Pharmacist
How sure are you guys overall? Has anyone actually called in? It seems like all this new information is coming from the USC information sessions. But can we actually get a phone conversation with the admissions office or something?

confident

10+ Year Member
Feb 7, 2008
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
I received this from UCI pharmacy club:

" ...for our last meeting with our USC guest speaker, Peter Dean,
we found out an important piece of information that may be helpful for you
guys to know. For all 2009 applicants fulfilling the prerequisite for
speech communication, USC School of Pharmacy now accepts PUBLIC SPEAKING.
Before the recent agreement, USC has ONLY accepted INTERPERSONAL
COMMUNICATION. So now in order to apply to ALL the pharmacy schools in
California, you will ONLY need to take PUBLIC SPEAKING to satisfy the
prerequisite for speech communications instead of both public speaking and
interpersonal communication!"

I also checked their Course Equivalencies website, they added the public speaking class as equivalentto communications requirement. :thumbup:

UES Girl

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 21, 2007
!!!!!
Status
Pharmacist
USC has one of the better websites in terms of clearly describing the prerequisites as well as having a course equivalence list so you can see if your communications class transfers. And the previous posts were quite right when they said that general speech is not accepted.

http://www.usc.edu/schools/pharmacy/pharmd/admission/equivalencies.html
Labby Ratty, I love you for posting that link !

I was breaking my head over where in the world I am going to take Molecular biology but then checked course equvalencies for my school on the site you provided and turns out, USC accepts two courses in replacement on molecular bio, both of which I have taken ! Thank god !!!!!!!!!!! That means I can apply there next year !!!!!!!!:luck::hardy:

OP
R

rycetrix

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 12, 2008
Status
Pharmacist
I received this from UCI pharmacy club:

" ...for our last meeting with our USC guest speaker, Peter Dean,
we found out an important piece of information that may be helpful for you
guys to know. For all 2009 applicants fulfilling the prerequisite for
speech communication, USC School of Pharmacy now accepts PUBLIC SPEAKING.
Before the recent agreement, USC has ONLY accepted INTERPERSONAL
COMMUNICATION. So now in order to apply to ALL the pharmacy schools in
California, you will ONLY need to take PUBLIC SPEAKING to satisfy the
prerequisite for speech communications instead of both public speaking and
interpersonal communication!"

I also checked their Course Equivalencies website, they added the public speaking class as equivalentto communications requirement. :thumbup:

According to the course equivalencies website for where I took my speech class, they have not updated it to public speaking. They still kept it as interpersonal communications. I took it public speaking at Irvine Valley College.

nmnguyen

10+ Year Member
Oct 21, 2007
Sacramento, CA
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
thats some bs, for the fall 2008 applicants I called and they were strict about only allowing interpersonal comm. so i took that course, just for USC (didn't end up getting in). and now they take either public speaking or interp. comm. are u kidding me right now. wow.

powertoold

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 16, 2006
Status
Pharmacist
thats some bs, for the fall 2008 applicants I called and they were strict about only allowing interpersonal comm. so i took that course, just for USC (didn't end up getting in). and now they take either public speaking or interp. comm. are u kidding me right now. wow.
This is most likely ONLY for incoming Fall 2009 applicants.

dovebar

10+ Year Member
Jun 20, 2006
Vegas
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
i wonder when they'll update their website...it'll be awesome if i didn't have to take interpersonal...i already too public speaking & i was just gonna use that. hmmm...