USC interview invite

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Revelde

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got this email from USC for interview invite.

it looks like they have 5 sessions during october for interviews, I dont know if they open up more sessions later on well...I think they will.

Anybody else got this e mail?

Members don't see this ad.

it looks like they have 5 sessions during october for interviews, I dont know if they open up more sessions later on well...I think they will.

Can I just say that I am completely jealous of you (but in a good way... not in a "I must destroy you" way). Congrats on the USC invite. What time did you get it???

I want one.

Can I just say that I am completely jealous of you (but in a good way... not in a "I must destroy you" way). Congrats on the USC invite. What time did you get it???

I want one.

I think i got it about 1 hr ago.. like 5 pm central time.. They might have sent out emails right before they left the office..

SOON You will also get those mails !! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
congrats. i'm jealous, too... not in a "i want to rip ur head off way," of course. how is corea these days? =P

oh my bad... its 5 pm central. so it should be 3 pm pacific. they might be still working. :D

BTW I dont know how things re going in Corea. its been like 10 years since i left...

Does USC have a secondary? I haven't heard anything from them.

oh my bad... its 5 pm central. so it should be 3 pm pacific. they might be still working. :D

BTW I dont know how things re going in Corea. its been like 10 years since i left...

lol sorry. i thoguht u were one of the international students for some reason...

I just got it too...I'm scheduled for oct 10...anybody else going that day?

Just got the email as well. :D Trip to Cali in October sounds damn good!

Got it today also.

For my fellow SDNers who are number hungry...

3.6 24/22 june 2 AADSAS

Got it today also.

For my fellow SDNers who are number hungry...

3.6 24/22 june 2 AADSAS

So I knew USC was expensive...but I ran the numbers....

they quote on their website $320,000 in costs

In a 10 year traditional educational loan requires payments of $3682.

"It is estimated that you will need an annual salary of at least $441,908.40 to be able to afford to repay this loan. This estimate assumes that 10% of your gross monthly income will be devoted to repaying your student loans. If you use 15% of your gross monthly income to repay the loan, you will need an annual salary of only $294,605.60 , but you may experience some financial difficulty."

lol, great, financial difficulty...i guess my days of poor college student are far from over

Members don't see this ad :)
I just checked my e-mail, I got one too. :D

Just got one today. I think the 24th sounds good. Look forward to meeting you guys there!!!

I took the first date...Oct. 5th...So far all my interviews are on Thursdays...hope it is my lucky day.

Oh, and to answer an earlier question...USC doesn't have a secondary, they just ask you for more money...that's the secondary. They do give you a thing to fill out and bring with you to the interview though...it's 6 pages long and has lots of questions, but they say it is not for acceptance purposes, they claim they use it for statistics on those who do and don't decide to go into their program...or something like that.

i got one too, but haven't scheduled it yet- Probably'll go Oct 26.

for those of you accepted, may i ask what state of residency?

I'm getting interviewed if that's what you mean by accepted....i'm from cali

cool azbioc...see you there!

OK, guys, I'm jealous too, but not in a poke pins in your eyes and set your hair on fire while you're sleeping kind of way. :)

congrats people. im a 1st year at usc and absolutely love it. i will be seeing you guys when you come around and observe us in a case. i am the only guy at USC with long hair. see u then and good luck!!!

Chookhahapnidah!

However, I dislike USC and even their dental program. I've attended USC for my undergraduate and the faculties were not friendly.

I also shadowed at the USC School of Dentistry during my senior year, and a lot of the dental school instructors at USC were "old-school" type of instructors.

I have also had friends who have graduated from USC's School of Dentistry and they said that a lot of their instructors were cold or very mean.

A dentist whom I'm currently working for (graduated from USC dental school in 1978) also told me that one of his instructor crushed his waxed crown because he didn't do a good job.

USC is like NYU. They have an old-school jewish mentality when it comes to teaching.

Chookhahapnidah!

However, I dislike USC and even their dental program. I've attended USC for my undergraduate and the faculties were not friendly.

I also shadowed at the USC School of Dentistry during my senior year, and a lot of the dental school instructors at USC were "old-school" type of instructors.

I have also had friends who have graduated from USC's School of Dentistry and they said that a lot of their instructors were cold or very mean.

A dentist whom I'm currently working for (graduated from USC dental school in 1978) also told me that one of his instructor crushed his waxed crown because he didn't do a good job.

USC is like NYU. They have an old-school jewish mentality when it comes to teaching.

I think pretty much every dental school has several drawbacks, even the happy school--UoP. Anyway, thanks for the heads up. I heard the same thing about UCLA's professors. But do you have anything good to say about any school? I remember you bashing LLU because they rejected you. I'm not trying to put you down or anything. I just want to know what schools are good according to your standards. miahn if you're offened and gomahps if you respond.

I think pretty much every dental school has several drawbacks, even the happy school--UoP.

What's so happy about UoP? The good side is it's a three-year program. But it's one f_cking expensive dental school, plus you have to consider the cost of living in Rainbowville - AKA San Francisco.

Anyway, thanks for the heads up. I heard the same thing about UCLA's professors.

And what's your point? All dental schools in Lost Angeles pretty much have cold rude instructors. Which is why I didn't apply to UCLA's dental school.

I was hoping to go to Roma Rinda's dental program, but they are such a discriminatory institute that they favor applicants from SDA institutes. If I was Bill Gate's son, I would hire an attorney and sue Roma Rinda for discrimination based on religion, despite the fact that it's a "private institute."

But do you have anything good to say about any school?

Yes I do! :eek: UCSF has a great program. UT San Antonio has great research, Columbia, UM Kansas City, Creighton, Tufts, U Washington, OHSU, Nova, Maryland and UConn are great dental schools from what I've observed.

Horrible dental schools are NYU & USC. USC's tuition if damn ridiculously expensive, $55K just for tuition! NYU is horrible because they kick you out every year if you don't make the cut. I think that's wrong and unethical.

I remember you bashing LLU because they rejected you.

Hold your horses my ching-goo. Roma Rinda's admissions office told me that they will re-evaluate my application once my second set of DAT scores are sent to them. Then on, I will send them a letter petitioning a second review of my application. I could care less about that dental school as I am waiting on tons of other dental schools to get back to me. :D

I think pretty much every dental school has several drawbacks, even the happy school--UoP. Anyway, thanks for the heads up. I heard the same thing about UCLA's professors. But do you have anything good to say about any school? I remember you bashing LLU because they rejected you. I'm not trying to put you down or anything. I just want to know what schools are good according to your standards. miahn if you're offened and gomahps if you respond.

you dont go to usc school of dentistry. you dont know what you are talking about. everyone is so warm and welcoming. that is one of the greatest thing about this school.

you dont go to usc school of dentistry. you dont know what you are talking about. everyone is so warm and welcoming. that is one of the greatest thing about this school.

i didn't say that USC has mean professors. our optimistic armoredtooth did.

What's so happy about UoP? The good side is it's a three-year program. But it's one f_cking expensive dental school, plus you have to consider the cost of living in Rainbowville - AKA San Francisco.

And what's your point? All dental schools in Lost Angeles pretty much have cold rude instructors. Which is why I didn't apply to UCLA's dental school.

I was hoping to go to Roma Rinda's dental program, but they are such a discriminatory institute that they favor applicants from SDA institutes. If I was Bill Gate's son, I would hire an attorney and sue Roma Rinda for discrimination based on religion, despite the fact that it's a "private institute."

Yes I do! :eek: UCSF has a great program. UT San Antonio has great research, Columbia, UM Kansas City, Creighton, Tufts, U Washington, OHSU, Nova, Maryland and UConn are great dental schools from what I've observed.

Horrible dental schools are NYU & USC. USC's tuition if damn ridiculously expensive, $55K just for tuition! NYU is horrible because they kick you out every year if you don't make the cut. I think that's wrong and unethical.

Hold your horses my ching-goo. Roma Rinda's admissions office told me that they will re-evaluate my application once my second set of DAT scores are sent to them. Then on, I will send them a letter petitioning a second review of my application. I could care less about that dental school as I am waiting on tons of other dental schools to get back to me. :D

u have a way of bringing the best out in people =) as for UoP being expensive, u make a lot of it back when u start ur practice earlier. rainbowville? roma rinda? bill gate's son? whatever, not going to bother. good job.

i didn't say that USC has mean professors. our optimistic armoredtooth did.

Not because I"m "optimistic" like you've stated, but because I WENT to USC for my undergraduate years, and shadowed the instructors and students at USC's dental school.

A lot of the students whom I shadowed or asked said that if they were to repeat their dental school career, they would have chosen another dental school.

And from what I've seen from teh demeanor of the professors/instructors, they were not very friendly towards the students.

I even shadowed one guy named Dr. Siegel who's part of the oral surgery department. He was very cold towards me, never said "hi" to me, never even cared if I showed up.

I think LA people tend to have a weird mentality when it comes to friendship and socializing with people.

Armoredtooth,

Stop embarassing yourself. I went to SC as an undergrad and I too interned with Dr. Walter Siegel. He is one of the most interesting and comforting dental professors they have. Maybe you had a bad experience, but my experience with the dental school has been nothing but positive.

Also, what is SO horrible about NYU, besides the rumors you've heard from people on this forum? They don't kick people out...people fail out. There is a big difference. Yes, NYU is expensive, but if dentistry is what you want, wouldn't you be willing to do it anywhere? A big class size and high tuition are NYU's downfall, but their facilities, I believe 8 of the 11 floors are BRAND NEW. I was there a week ago and they told me that every summer they are renovating at least one floor...three floors left and anyone that goes there will have a completely new dental school. Just my two cents.

Uhm, you have no idea about USC dental school dude. I agree w/ XylaShell here, because you don't even go to USC dental school. If you don't attend a dental school yet, you have no right to bag on these schools. Yeah, you attend USC undergrad, but NOT USC dental. You need to be a USC dental student to make these judgements, and my judgement differs from yours 180.

We just had our first dental morphology class the other day, and I have to say our faculties (which are dentists) were very understanding, kind, patient and helpful.

Uhm, you have no idea about USC dental school dude. I agree w/ XylaShell here, because you don't even go to USC dental school. If you don't attend a dental school yet, you have no right to bag on these schools. Yeah, you attend USC undergrad, but NOT USC dental. You need to be a USC dental student to make these judgements, and my judgement differs from yours 180.

We just had our first dental morphology class the other day, and I have to say our faculties (which are dentists) were very understanding, kind, patient and helpful.

agreed. i think that the best thing that i love about usc is how welcoming everyone is including upperclassmen and faculty/staff members. they are truly their to help you learn and succeed. dr. green, the dental morphology doctor is such a great guy

Hmm, perhaps that is an instructor I have never met. But a lot of instructors at USC's dental school are old-school guys. They are not friendly, they critcize your work as if you're a dumb person, and some of them are racist.

I HAVE SHADOWED at the USC dental school prior to graduating from my undergrad years.
I followed a student around, and asked him what he thought of the school. He said that he dislikes dentistry. Hmmm, perhaps it's USC's dental shool instructors that are giving the students hard time?

In addition, I currently work in a dental lab and have asked many USC dental school alums what they thought of their dental school experiences at USC.

A lot of them told me that if they had the chance to go back in time, they would have chosen another dental school. They said that the instructors were mean, cold and highly criticized their work.

I've met another dentist who graduated from USC back in the late 70s. He said that an instructor deliberately crushed his waxed crown because it didn't look nice. I sure would hate to attend a dental school that treats me like ****.

Plus USC's dental curriculum is problem based learning.

Hmm, perhaps that is an instructor I have never met. But a lot of instructors at USC's dental school are old-school guys. They are not friendly, they critcize your work as if you're a dumb person, and some of them are racist.

I HAVE SHADOWED at the USC dental school prior to graduating from my undergrad years.
I followed a student around, and asked him what he thought of the school. He said that he dislikes dentistry. Hmmm, perhaps it's USC's dental shool instructors that are giving the students hard time?

In addition, I currently work in a dental lab and have asked many USC dental school alums what they thought of their dental school experiences at USC.

A lot of them told me that if they had the chance to go back in time, they would have chosen another dental school. They said that the instructors were mean, cold and highly criticized their work.

I've met another dentist who graduated from USC back in the late 70s. He said that an instructor deliberately crushed his waxed crown because it didn't look nice. I sure would hate to attend a dental school that treats me like ****.

Plus USC's dental curriculum is problem based learning.

Who knows if those instructors are even currently at USC? So far my experience with the instuctors here has been great. There have been few that I may not have liked quite as much, but it's not as bad as you make it seem. No dental school is perfect. Even with USC's tuition, I'm still glad to be going here.

First of all, congrats to all you guys that have gotten interviews! That's great! I wish I were one of you. ;)

Anyway, don't mean to change the subject but anyone have any idea whether or not USC is still inviting people for interviews? i haven't heard from usc or any other california school (ucsf, uop, ucla) for that matter. are these schools generally late in the application process?

Here's my stats.
cum GPA 3.2 sc GPA 3.7 B/P/C GPA 4.0
22/22/19
interviews - UNLV, Arizona, NYU

I just withdrew my interview spot for Oct 26, so that should open a spot for someone.

Did you guys read the interview feedback regarding USC?? Not really an interview... seems more of a yelling fest? Can anyone confirm this?

Not because I"m "optimistic" like you've stated, but because I WENT to USC for my undergraduate years, and shadowed the instructors and students at USC's dental school.

A lot of the students whom I shadowed or asked said that if they were to repeat their dental school career, they would have chosen another dental school.

And from what I've seen from teh demeanor of the professors/instructors, they were not very friendly towards the students.

I even shadowed one guy named Dr. Siegel who's part of the oral surgery department. He was very cold towards me, never said "hi" to me, never even cared if I showed up.

I think LA people tend to have a weird mentality when it comes to friendship

and socializing with people.

Hey dude, chill out. Maybe it's you that is the problem.

Wow this is a very exciting time for you guys. I congratulate everyone who has gotten an invite from USC. I think USC is a great school for many, many reasons.
Esp. if you're Korean ... K-town is only few blocks away!

I myself interviewed there last year and got accepted (although didn't decide to attend), so if you guys have any questions regarding interview/admissions process for USC, I would be glad to answer them - just pm with your questions.

Hi LIer2010,

Just out of curiousity, when did you interview with USC? I really want an interview with them but haven't gotten one yet. Oh yeah, I'm half korean!!

22/22/19
cumgpa 3.2 sc gpa 3.7 b/p/c 4.0
thanks for offering advice! also, where did you end up going? why not usc?

Hi LIer2010,

Just out of curiousity, when did you interview with USC? I really want an interview with them but haven't gotten one yet. Oh yeah, I'm half korean!!

22/22/19
cumgpa 3.2 sc gpa 3.7 b/p/c 4.0
thanks for offering advice! also, where did you end up going? why not usc?

I got an invite in early January and interviewed mid February. I got an acceptance email about 2-3 weeks later. USC tends to interview until March, if I remember correctly.

Guys, don't worry at all about interview invite if you haven't gotten it yet. It's still way too early to panic ...

Thanks AGAIN, LIer 2010!
Do you mind divulging your stats from last year? I'm contemplating taking the DAT again to raise my PT score...uuuugh....