USC Keck vs. SUNY Upstate (instate)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

reach04

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
USC Keck
Pros
  • Prestige
  • Weather
  • I got a better vibe from the students and faculty on interview day
  • Better clinical experiences
  • Each student gets their own study carrel
  • USC Alumni network
  • More research opportunities

Cons
  • COST
  • Logistics of moving to LA from NYC
  • Being far from family/friends
  • I'm not a big fan of LA

SUNY Upstate
Pros
  • Instate price + cost of living in Syracuse < Keck's tuition
  • Cheaper/easier to find housing
  • Newly renovated library

Cons
  • Weather (I went to undergrad in a place with dreary, cold weather like Syracuse and it really affected my overall happiness)
  • Less name recognition
  • Syracuse's mascot is an orange

Summary: I liked Keck better but the thought of paying an extra $100k (at least) over four years is giving me doubts; Upstate would be cheaper by a mile but I can see myself regretting going to a school primarily because of the tuition price.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Where/what do you want to match? If its anything outside of NYC or competitive specialty, I would go with USC. $100k is a drop in the bucket to attending money

As of now, I'm hoping to match in pathology somewhere on the east coast (preferably greater NYC area).

If you are trying too match path you should stay on the east coast and keep your loan burden low.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Where/what do you want to match? If its anything outside of NYC or competitive specialty, I would go with USC. $100k is a drop in the bucket to attending money

Whether or not 100k EXTRA is a “drop in the bucket to attending money” depends on how much it’s extra to in the first place. 300k debt is manageable but definitely no “drop in the Bucket” especially if one starts a family and desires a specialty that isn’t exactly high paying

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile