USC Match list 2004 (semi-condensed)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jalby

I fight crime at day when Batman are sleeping.
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here is the USC match list that I picked up and semi condensed it. Figured some of you guys might be interested. I listed the top fields, but also the bottom ones. You guys can guess the imbetween ones

Derm (5)
UCLA
King/Drew
NY Med
USC
USC

Otolaryngology (5)
Univ of Miami
USC
USC
USC
U conn

Neuro Surgery (1)
USC (This guy is amazing in real life)

Plastic Surg (2)
UCSF
USC

Orthopedics (7)
USC
USC
UC Irvine
SUNY Brooklyn
USC
Harbor-UCLA
Univ of Chicago

Ophthalmology (2)
USC
Wayne

Middle range stuff. Not going to list the schools. We had 14 Surgeries not counting the above people. 9 Radiology matches. 9 Emergency medicine matches.

And here is a list of everybody who didn't match in california that isn't a high profile field (all ones listed above.)

Gen Surg- Phoenix
Internal Med- UNC
Med Prelim- Cincinatti
Internal Med- Mount Sinai
Gen Surgery- Las Vegas
Internal Med- Univ of colorado
Psychiatry/neurology- NYU
OBGYN- Rochester
Internal Med- Barnes-Jewish Hospital, STL
Neurology- Case Western
Internal Med- Baylor
Anesthesiology- Wash Univ
Peds- Tulane
Neurology- UConn
Peds- Childrens Hospital Boston
Neurology- Baylor
Anesthesiology - U of Virginia
Medicine- Prelim - St. Lukes
Med- Prelim- UNC
Med- Prelim- Yale

So it looks like 10% of the class matched outside of california in a non-competative specialty, which is pretty good. Everything else really speaks for itself. I think it was a pretty good year overall.

Members don't see this ad.

I guess I didn't know that urology was competative too, so here are all the Urologies (6)

UC Davis
Kaiser Los Angeles
UCSD
USC
Kaiser Los Angeles
USC

USC got 6 out of the 19 urology spots in Cali? Not bad!

Members don't see this ad :)
Where did you get the info for how many spots there are in Cali??? I tried searching Frieda but it seems to be that some schools don't report the number of spots for PGY1.

Check out the American Urological Association website at www.auanet.org.

hey jalby, can you post the EM and Surgery matches too if you have time? appreciate it.

Originally posted by zer0el
hey jalby, can you post the EM and Surgery matches too if you have time? appreciate it.

I can't right now, I gave away my copy of the Match list to a incoming first year. I'll try and run down and get another one, but you might have to wait till friday when you can have your very own COMPLETE match list.

Originally posted by zer0el

Off the top of my head, though, I think about half of the ER's were here at USC (one of the most "interesting" ER's around)

Hey Jalby,

Is it hard to match at a UC out of USC?

I work at UCSF and have spied on the Internal Medicine list and saw 2 USCers there and my PI tells me she had some outstanding people from USC in her residency class there (although she is no doubt trying to encourage me also). Overall it was a pretty wide variety of schools being covered, without any one school (even UCSF as I hear they do not show preference to their own grads) dominating. The thing with UCs is that, just as in med school entrance, their residencies are highly desirable and therefore fairly competitive I would imagine. So I wouldn't worry that much about what school you go to, but more about how well you do there. If you do really well wherever you go, you will have a big advantage into getting into any program, and its not as if coming from a non UC is going to put you at a terrible disadvantage. the only caveat of this being if the school tends to favor their own grads in their programs, but that could be true anywhere.

Does anyone have the full match list to USC?