Usc Omfs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

headsup

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all
I was wondering what is your take on this program?
Is it a well rounded program?
Is it worth paying the medical school tuition for the 6 year track?
How hard is it to get in?
Would it be a good program for someone who is NOT looking for bread and butter cases?

Regards

Members don't see this ad.

so compared to UCLA, would you say it's program is more rounded?

Members don't see this ad :)
Come on!!!! 200 views and only one reply?!?!?!? Thanks Dr. H for your reply by the way...
but come on guys/gals, I think there is more info out there...

Would it be a good program for someone who is NOT looking for bread and butter cases?

Regards

Why does every single person interested in OMFS say this same thing. And then 99% go and exclusively do bread and butter cases.

To me, bread and butter means dentoalveolar, third molar, orthognathic, trauma, TMJ, proper anesthesia, path, bone grafting, reconstruction, implants, management of infections, sleep apnea, and perioperative medical assesment.

If you are such a master of these things and plan on concentrating on cosmetics, cancer, or what have you then please be my guest. I am sure you will probably not even need a fellowship because you are such a stud!

Oh ya, merry Christmas!

Well to me bread and butter means dentoalveolar, implants...
What I mean is that I am mostly interested in Trauma, and reconst, and cancer,
now do you have any idea how USC is with regards to these procedures? I understand they have a stat page up on their website, but those numbers don't mean much to me since, I can't compare them with any other program... now if you've seen their stat and think it is good enough to give someone like me an exposure to the all aspects, then please comment,
Also no one is commenting on how hard it is to get in that program, and whether you think the med school tuition is worth the overall program...

also please feel free to release your anguish on this thread too... be my guest, but at least give me a little of the info that i am asking for...
regards

Reactions: 1 user
so compared to UCLA, would you say it's program is more rounded?

Unfortunately I don't know very much about USC's program. My knowledge is pretty much limited to what I hear through the grapevine. I've heard that it's a well rounded and very intense program. However, when you get into southern CA and the northeast your opportunities to do expanded scope procedures seem to be limited due to the political clout of plastic surgeons and ENTs. However, it seems like most people who are interested in OMS aren't looking to do cosmetic surgery or oncology anyway. I think both USC and UCLA are great for learning traditional scope OMS. I'd wager USC gets more trauma experience than UCLA.

Something that I've heard is there are very few programs that will permit you to come out of residency skilled in oncology. Typically, people who are interested in this do fellowships to increase their surgical experience. Seems like a pretty good idea. OHSU is one place that said you could come out and not need to do a fellowship because they see so many of these cases.

Many many programs will make you excellent with trauma.

It was posted elsewhere, but the places that do greater numbers of cancer are UCSF, OHSU, Michigan, Maryland, Knoxville, Miami. I'm not sure what year you're in, but I recommend doing externships for at least 2 weeks at a time with some of these programs. OHSU would definitely be at the top of my list. They have awesome people up there.

Thanks Dr H for your information...
I will keep it in mind with the externships...

I've heard they get a lot of trauma as well...it's in the middle of the ghetto so there are a lot of gangsters getting their jaws jacked.
The biggest thing I've heard is that there tends to be major conflict between the 6 and 4 yr residents. This is just something I've heard and I can't confirm it...but supposedly they don't get along well. I actually wonder if this is a problem at other programs with both tracks. Hopefully someone out there can comment.
Oh, and from other threads I've read...sounds like you have to beware of bums bleeding out on you in the waiting room;)

Thanks OMS FAN
yes i read that thread too...kinda odd and funny, but i guess it comes with the territory, as you said it's in the middle of the gangs and bums... guess one will get use to it after a while!!!

The biggest thing I've heard is that there tends to be major conflict between the 6 and 4 yr residents. This is just something I've heard and I can't confirm it...but supposedly they don't get along well. I actually wonder if this is a problem at other programs with both tracks. Hopefully someone out there can comment.

I just remembered where I heard this...
When I externed at the "Country Club", one of the first year residents told me he went to D-school at USC and externed for a month in the program. So it was fairly well confirmed. Overall, he said he didn't care for the program and said it was pretty malignant.