USC or NYU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JJ666

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
USC and NYU are my two top choices.

I really don't know which one to choose.

I like both LA and NYC, but both NYU and USC have its advantages and disadvantages.

Let me know where you would go if you had a choice between two schools.

Members don't see this ad.

USC and NYU are my two top choices.

I really don't know which one to choose.

I like both LA and NYC, but both NYU and USC have its advantages and disadvantages.

Let me know where you would go if you had a choice between two schools.

Neither, they are both soooo expensive and don't offer the best education. NYU has large class size that you can easily get lost in and USC has the PBL where everyone gets a 4.0 and nobody passes the boards. If you have a third option I would suggest it.

if these are your main two choices, and youre tot okay with paying the mula, Id pick NYU.
nyc is an amazing place to live especially when in your 20s. Its so fun (you can have fun on the weekends....hopefully).
thats my personal take. I dont know what cali life is like, it seems more tempting though, much more beachy, warm and sunny all the time--it would be so hard for me to study in such perfect weather.
Also i dont know any of the differences between the schools academically...so these are most probably more important than just location like i talked about!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks! As much as I want to become a good dentist, I want to enjoy my time becoming one. I have heard that USC is getting better though. Their curriculum has been changing a lot lately. Only problem that I have with NYU is that they have too many students. USC also has a lot but NYU is much bigger.

I am actually in a similar situation. Disregarding the money issue since they both are soooo expensive, I'd pick NYU. When I was at USC for the interview, I asked the admissions staff what the passing rate for board exam was and she was hesistant to answer my question. She ended up saying "Yeah, it is not as high as we'd like it to be..." Their PBL sounds interesting at first but I personally don't think it is the best method.

Besides, I love NYC!

I am actually in a similar situation. Disregarding the money issue since they both are soooo expensive, I'd pick NYU. When I was at USC for the interview, I asked the admissions staff what the passing rate for board exam was and she was hesistant to answer my question. She ended up saying "Yeah, it is not as high as we'd like it to be..." Their PBL sounds interesting at first but I personally don't think it is the best method.

Besides, I love NYC!

We must have interviewed @ USC on the same day because I specifically remember her saying this. It seems like a nice school to attend, but I don't think the PBL method is the most effective way to learn dental medicine. Although don't get me wrong, it seems like most of the students their really enjoyed it and were able to adapt quickly... I felt comfortable during the mock PBL session, but I wasn't sold on learning dentistry via PBL for 4 years...

Both schools are crazy expensive, but the NYU dental curriculum would probably be a better fit for me... oh and the overall student atmosphere at USC was EXTREMELY LAID-BACK... of course that's a good thing, but it still worried me a little

Besides, I love NYC!

I am a current student at NYU and couldn't be happier. I mean there are going to be stressful moments but I am sure every dental school has them. Back when I interviewed USC didn't impress me much. Also if you're interested in aesthetics, there are great opportunities at NYU.

Board exams.. Our class (2012), all 226, passed the NBDE part 1. The doctors/faculty prepared us all very well for the boards. The classes were like outlines of the Kaplan NBDE book but in more depth. My education here has been top notch.

Good luck with your choice.