USC program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

justdontknow

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
anyone know about the USC program??...in terms of rep, malignant..etc??

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

From the attendings I have talked to, USC is not considered as strong as a lot of the other Cali programs (UCSF, UCLA, UCI, UCSD). This is because it does have a number of foreign attendings and does not match as well as the others.

This being said, it is still a good program. And the only way to get stronger is with time. Maybe they had one or two bad match years which hurt them. But if you like the program, then rank it. Sometimes name value only goes so far...

USC is probably as strong or stronger than UCI at this point...I would stay far away from that hospital as either a resident or a patient for that matter.

Members don't see this ad :)
what gives you that impression? i'm a prelim resident at UCI right now (not going into anesthesia but rads...just browsing my girlfriend's future specialty) and i find the medicine program to be great and NOT to be "stayed away from".

since this is an anesthesia forum, i'll give my take on the program. being a prelim in medicine, we don't get too much interaction with anesthesia residents in the hospital, but i've gotten to know a bunch of them (both prelims now and future anesthesia residents at UCI as well as current ones). i've only heard good things about the program, teaching, breadth/acuity of cases, fellow residents, etc... i met 1 "bad" attending who seemed to be really harsh on an anethesia resident during a trauma intubation, but other than that, i've seen extremely nice and bright faculty. ORs i have not come in contact, but the PACU and preop area seems the same as every other one i've seen. the location obviously is great, enough said.

to those applying, don't feel as if any program is bad because someone who seems to have no knowledge of the program says so. my guess is half the time it's actually from people who are ranking the program high and want to direct others away.

I was looking for the LA Times article from last summer describing the closed door, anesthesiology department meeting calling for the ouster of the chairman, and how he refused to step down. Couldn't find it. Let's hope things are getting better:

UCI names vice chancellor to oversee health affairs
Dr. David N. Bailey, who will also be dean of the medical school, hopes to reform the university's scandal-plagued programs and hospital.
By Roy Rivenburg, Times Staff Writer
December 22, 2006

The linchpin of UC Irvine's plan to reform its scandal-plagued medical programs fell into place Thursday with the hiring of Dr. David N. Bailey as vice chancellor for health affairs.

The new position, which will oversee UCI's medical school and hospital, begins April 1.

Bailey comes to UCI after three decades at UC San Diego, where he now serves as interim medical school dean and interim vice chancellor for health services. A graduate of Yale University, Bailey is also a professor of pathology and director of UC San Diego's toxicology lab.

"There is no one more respected by his peers," UCI Chancellor Michael V. Drake said in a prepared statement. "Dr. Bailey has incredible ethical expertise" and his "understanding of health sciences, higher education and the University of California system is unparalleled."

Bailey will receive a base salary of $512,000 at UCI.

Describing himself as a consensus builder, Bailey, 61, said his priority would be restructuring the independent management of UCI's hospital and medical school under a single umbrella.

He will also serve as dean of UCI's medical school, replacing Dr. Thomas Cesario, one of several high-ranking medical administrators to step down after revelations that 32 patients on UCI's liver transplant waiting list died while the Orange hospital rejected scores of viable organs.

UCI has also come under fire this year for shortcomings in its kidney and bone-marrow transplant programs, questions about cardiologists' credentials, allegations of nepotism and problems in its anesthesiology, radiology and orthopedic surgery departments.

Those problems were only the latest for UCI. In 1995, the university acknowledged that doctors in its fertility clinic stole eggs and embryos from patients and implanted them in other women. In 2000, the school fired the director of its donated-cadaver program amid suspicion that he had improperly sold body parts.

"Creating an open, transparent atmosphere [and] having the clinical side talking to the academic side will help preclude or minimize" such problems, Bailey said.

The vice chancellor job is one of two positions created in response to the liver-transplant scandal. The other is an ombudsman to handle complaints and concerns from UCI medical personnel. The ombudsman spot was filled two months ago by attorney Gecole Harley of Georgia. She reports directly to Drake.

UCI officials hope Bailey and Harley will be more successful at preventing trouble than a similar reform effort a few years ago. In 2000, after concerns about the donated-cadaver program surfaced, a panel of experts recommended the appointment of an administrator to provide better oversight.

But the person hired to fill that role, Iris Ingram, quit after less than three years, saying her position was merely "window dressing." The job remained vacant after her departure.

In February, a blue-ribbon panel investigating the liver-transplant scandal said UCI's ambitions exceeded its ability to care for patients.

Since then, Drake said, he has been enacting the panel's list of recommendations "one by one, and I'm absolutely excited about the progress we've been making." Last year at this time, "I worried every day," he said. "This year, I'm excited every day."

Dr. Arthur Caplan, director of the Center for Bioethics at the University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, said UCI's medical programs still have a ways to go.

"The hole that UCI dug itself into is pretty deep," Caplan said. "But every hole can be climbed out of." Caplan's advice for Bailey: "Come in and let it be known that the Santa Ana winds are blowing in fresh thinking."

Caplan said UCI officials needed "a sustained period of keeping their noses clean. Any further scandal would be almost impossible to recover from."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[email protected]

anyone know about the USC program??...in terms of rep, malignant..etc??

thanks

it's a weak program with an arrogant pair of leaders, dr. patel and dr. lumb. the attendings are exclusively fmg. u train with student nurse anesthesists in a number of your rotations, u'll cross the street and do a few rotations at the cancer center where dr. thanga runs the icu and O.R.. for someone who's being doing anesthesiology for decades, he does not share any pearls or for that matter won't teach u anything. if u want to work with a snobby leadership, and weak attendings, this is the place for u.

sounds like a former and disgruntled resident on that last post by Painter 1.
it would be silly for any of you to judge or even form a minor opinion of a program based on anonymous postings....

i am at the program. the only complaint i have is of the outdated facilities (built 1920). but that is not an issue for any of you applying as the new hospital next door is opening in november of 2007. we have all the current gadgets and gear and plenty of OR support, but the grounds just are not the nicest.

otherwise, the clinical training you get here i cannot imagine is surpassed by any other program....with such a diverse patient population you see EVERYTHING....and the military trains their trauma people here, so you know you will get that too.

the administration is friendly, and responsive so far. can't really compare the teaching to other institutions, but there is a mandatory lecture series set up like most programs. the schedule is done fairly, and the work hours bearable. it is residency anyway, so if you dont expect to work, go into some other career.

as for foreign medical grads, every program, even the "best", have a select few. i think that rumor is a thing of the past b/c the majority definitely are not FMG's. just like anywhere, there are good teachers and not so motivated teachers....you will find the same here.

i would recommend this place. you will get good training here. go somewhere where you want to live and get a job afterwards...it is easiest that way.

Big issue for me (although maybe not important to a lot of people) is that there is really no anesthesia research going on at USC which is different compared to every other program in Cali.

You will get tons and tons of trauma there if you really like that. One area of relative weakness is transplants. I think plenty of kidneys but the vast majority of the livers are done at ucla.

I do think USC has the potential to be very up and coming. Particularly as it is in California (attracts a lot of quality applicants/staff) and with the new hospital (i know the current hospital has historical value but it is seriously ghetto) but for me right now the lack of research in particular makes it less attractive than other programs.

Oh yeah, and I actually really liked Dr. Lumb (granted I met him for only a brief visit) and I thought he was a big asset to the program. Not as big of a fan of Patel, he was not so cordial on our interview.

I know everybody acts happy on interview day but I felt like the USC residents were actually more sincere than most, definately seemed like a fairly content bunch

Just another "minor" opinion.

I am applying right now and I spent a month at USC.
I spoke to people who are hiring in the LA area now... Lots of praise about how prepared graduates are.
You get to do almost everything as a CA1 at county.
An anesthesia run ICU experience.
Cant beat the trauma exposure.
Night float.
Diversirty... pts, settings, cases, attendings, residents, surgeons
Dr. Lumb has been making great changes to the program and people are noticing
The residents were uniformly happy
Enthusiasm to teach regional among the attendings
Practical research
LA.
A new county hospital

It's a great time to be part of this growing program IMHO.
Just my feelings.
If you dont like it ---- leave the spot for me

I am going to rank USC because it is in southern california. However, compared to other So Cal programs like UCLA and UCSD, I think they are weak in teaching, regional, and research. Perks, they pay more I suppose.

The USC residents were not as happy as above posts suggest when I interviewed. New county will be good, but they let it slip at the interview that there is no room for anesthesia administration offices in the new building... weird. This, among other reasons, are why it is my lowest ranked Cali program.

dzm- I would argue that both UCSF and Harborview (Seattle), where UW and VM rotate, offer superior trauma training. Just a thought.

The USC residents were not as happy as above posts suggest when I interviewed. New county will be good, but they let it slip at the interview that there is no room for anesthesia administration offices in the new building... weird. This, among other reasons, are why it is my lowest ranked Cali program.

dzm- I would argue that both UCSF and Harborview (Seattle), where UW and VM rotate, offer superior trauma training. Just a thought.

Any idea if Anesthesia will have individual call rooms, or call rooms at all in the new building? I know currently, they share bunk beds.

Basket- not sure how the new call rooms will work. It wasn't really a discussion, but a slip-up from one of the secretaries. The topic was quickly changed, but it was definitely somehing that the other applicants and I talked about on the walk out to our cars...

Members don't see this ad :)
Basket- not sure how the new call rooms will work. It wasn't really a discussion, but a slip-up from one of the secretaries. The topic was quickly changed, but it was definitely somehing that the other applicants and I talked about on the walk out to our cars...

Thanks n2bait. I did a month at USC and the residents all seemed very happy. No administrative office in the building is definitely very weird. Anyways, best of luck n2match!

it's a weak program with an arrogant pair of leaders, dr. patel and dr. lumb. the attendings are exclusively fmg. u train with student nurse anesthesists in a number of your rotations, u'll cross the street and do a few rotations at the cancer center where dr. thanga runs the icu and O.R.. for someone who's being doing anesthesiology for decades, he does not share any pearls or for that matter won't teach u anything. if u want to work with a snobby leadership, and weak attendings, this is the place for u.

you are absolutely right!

USC hasn't changed much. Still FMGs who hate Americans. Still a place where sexism and racism are overlooked by top staff. Sure, there are those who'll say it's a great place...but be cautious. People will say lots of things if they stand to benefit from the status quo.

Yup that's sadly true but what private school isn't.. I think the school still has a pretty good medical program though, don't know much about residency yet, but I understand the school is well endowed. :oops:

It's been awhile....I did locems for a few years after residency....my impression was not enough emphasis on regional for an academic program, but I had gone there after 6 months at the University of Washington!

OTW, I was impressed with trauma exposure there.....

That's a bad sign.

I rotated there. The rotation is ok, you spend all of your time at County and basically have to find a room for yourself each day. That said the residents are nice and you definately get a feel for the place.

You can get a letter from Dr. Joseph at the end if you want one, though I don't know how good it will be.

I will say that my experience there raised several red flags about the program.

how is usc for away rotations for medical students?

are the PD's happy to have visiting students and willing to write LOR if asked?

Can anyone share their experiences or thoughts about USC anesthesia?? Is it a good program? Supportive administration? Good teaching?

I will say that my experience there raised several red flags about the program.

What red flags are you talking about medstudent12345??

Know USC Anesthesia program well, was once a Resident there. Strengths: good overall variety of cases, lots of challenging cases due to County patients, lots of trauma, more than than other local programs like UCI and UCLA. You definitely come out of that program comfortable handling pretty much any kind of case. Weakness and there are a few that may prompt you to seek another program: weak teaching, daily lecture program pretty useless, could do it on your own, with the exception of VERY few, weak faculty with STILL a lot of FMG whose English is questionable and thus can't teach much; weak regional, pretty much what you make of it since only a few attendings are interested in doing blocks or teaching them; very little research; and last but not least, aimistrative staff not very responsive to residents concerns or their own attending staff concerns, more preocupied with the CRNA/SRNA program than the residency program (residents have to share Neuro/Cardiac rotations with SRNAs including important procedures such as line placements/TEE, Dr. Lumb more supportive of his SRNA than his own residents)
Ergo: if you are looking to become comfortable doing tough cases and be comfortable in private practice USC is an OK program, you will see and get to do a lot, more than in most other places due to the nature of County Hosp and the varied places where you get to rotate. But if you are looking for a more academic experience and strong regional training, it I'd
is probably not the place for you!!!

Shut it down and shun this "Dr. Lumb" if true. Period.

Know USC Anesthesia program well, was once a Resident there. Strengths: good overall variety of cases, lots of challenging cases due to County patients, lots of trauma, more than than other local programs like UCI and UCLA. You definitely come out of that program comfortable handling pretty much any kind of case. Weakness and there are a few that may prompt you to seek another program: weak teaching, daily lecture program pretty useless, could do it on your own, with the exception of VERY few, weak faculty with STILL a lot of FMG whose English is questionable and thus can't teach much; weak regional, pretty much what you make of it since only a few attendings are interested in doing blocks or teaching them; very little research; and last but not least, aimistrative staff not very responsive to residents concerns or their own attending staff concerns, more preocupied with the CRNA/SRNA program than the residency program (residents have to share Neuro/Cardiac rotations with SRNAs including important procedures such as line placements/TEE, Dr. Lumb more supportive of his SRNA than his own residents)
Ergo: if you are looking to become comfortable doing tough cases and be comfortable in private practice USC is an OK program, you will see and get to do a lot, more than in most other places due to the nature of County Hosp and the varied places where you get to rotate. But if you are looking for a more academic experience and strong regional training, it I'd
is probably not the place for you!!!

this Dr. Lumb may be our worst sell out. straight from the website his title is "Chair/Professor of Anesthesia/Medical Director, Program of Nurse Anesthesia". i have heard even the residents are trying to revolt against him to no avail.

other than that, its a decent program where you will very well prepared for private practice, not so much academic.

also. the residents train with SRNAs and SHARE procedures with them.

thats ridiculous.

i was told anesthesia doesnt even run any codes at usc. this student that rotated at ER there said ER runs the codes all over the hospital. sounds ridiculous, anyone know if its true?

i was told anesthesia doesnt even run any codes at usc. this student that rotated at ER there said ER runs the codes all over the hospital. sounds ridiculous, anyone know if its true?

I saw a review of the EM program here on SDN and it said the same thing. That EM runs the codes.

What do you mean by run codes? Anesthesia doesn't run codes at any of the hospitals at my medical school either, usually medicine or surgery residents. Anesthesia residents usually just intubate and leave.

Also from the website:

Philip D. Lumb, MB, BS, FCCM
Section Editor for International Critical Care, Critical Care
US Editor, Intensive Care Medicine
Editor-in-Chief, Journal of Critical Care

Completed term: Past Chancellor, American College of Critical Care Medicine
Elected: President, World Federation of Societies of Intensive and Critical Care Medicine

=/

I only interviewed at USC because I had Stanford the same week but boy am I shocked! Either they've made huge changes or people on here have something to gain from making it sound like someone's bastard stepchild. Either way, a grossly under-rated program. Without further ado:

PROS
--Superb clinical training. Top heavy program where you work more hours as you go along. Start around 50-55 hours during CA-1 and hit 65-70 hours during CA-3.
--1st year is at LA County where they take anyone and everyone. Like most county hospitals, amazing pathology because of the diversity and patients don't present till they're about to crump. CA-1 schedule looked unreal with residents off 3-4 weekends every month! I'm still not sure how this works but they said it's because of night float/weekend call.
--CA-2 year is spread across various hospitals but pretty standard. 2 months ICU at Cancer Center with aforementioned Dr. Thanga. It's an anesthesia run ICU and apparently Dr. Thanga has won more teaching awards than all the other faculty combined so not sure how true the other poster's statement is. 2 months Cardiothoracic, 2 months Pain, 1 month Neuro in med center. 1 month OB at LA county, 1 month at Cedars Sinai. 2 months Pediatrics at CHLA. Apparently, CHLA, the #1 pediatric hospital on the west coast, is a USC hospital. I always thought it was UCLA.
--all CA-3s REQUIRED to do 2 months of Advanced Cardiothoracic electives at University Hospital, 1 month Heart/Lung Transplant and 1 month Advanced Peds. CA-3 options/requirements - Vascular, Oncology OR, Regional, Pain, Research. They say optional but all the residents' schedules had a smattering of each so not sure how much flexibility there is.
--Resident caliber extremely strong. Based on SDN, I went in expecting a land of FMGs and had yet another WTF moment. Multiple residents from UCLA, UTSW, Georgetown, Oregon, Miami, various Cali, NY schools, and half the residents were from USC.
--Residents were very friendly and looked happy to be there. Maybe it's all that California sun. Openly talked about how much free time they had, none of that "it's just 3 years" or "residency is supposed to be hard" bull****.
--Department is in great flux, good or bad I don't know. They got rid of a bunch of faculty and have hired 17 new attendings in the last year - they only have like 60-70 total. Most of them are fresh out of fellowship or former private practice guys who want a change of pace. Residents were very happy about this change.
--1200 Cardiothoracic cases/year and only 1 fellow. Stanford had like 1900 but 3 fellows. Residents probably get used as cheap labor but sweet deal in sharpening your clinical acumen.
--Surprisingly, one of the few places that has everything. Amazing trauma and transplant experience. All kinds of transplants, hearts, lungs, livers, kidneys. "Trauma, trauma, trauma" per one resident. So many top places are amazing at 2 or 3 things but have glaring defecits elsewhere. Besides critical care and maybe regional, can't think of anything here that is missing.
--Per the Chair, they place more regional nerve blocks for ortho procedures and post-op pain relief than any other program in SoCal.
--Very new, aesthetically pleasing hospitals. Probably 2nd best I've seen after Northwestern. Location not bad at all, 5 minutes from where the Lakers and Dodgers play.
--USC as an institution seems to be on a stratospheric trajectory towards prominence. The undergrad recently topped UCLA in rankings and the medical center has apparently been stealing faculty left and right from places like MGH, Hopkins, Stanford, UCLA per the Dean's letters sent to USC med students.

CONS
--Poorly run interview day, they need to just start over. Their itinerary definitely runs on Desi Standard Time.
--Minimal research. They're very open about supporting you and giving you time off but it seems like you would have to do most of the leg work.
--It's a hell of a lot cheaper since when I was an undergrad in LA a few years ago, but compared to the rest of the country, you definitely pay a price to live in sunny SoCal.
--No internal moonlighting - there were whispers of OSH moonlighting though.
--SRNA program. I didn't have the balls to call anyone out because I actually liked it here and didn't want them to judge me. Chair did seem pretty strong though. He was former Vice Chair at Duke, former Chair at some NY school, tons of accolades.

Final Impression - Not an elite program but an awesome program nonetheless. Definitely in my top 5.

thanks for the review, pickwickian.

i would be interested to know more perspectives on this program. i don't know about you guys, but i am having a difficult time understanding this choosing-your-residency process. one example of what i mean is illustrated in this thread:

i too have heard some "bad things" about USC anesthesia from more than one source (ie more than just the internet). but as pickwickian points out, and as i have seen first-hand with other programs, often the rep and the experience of the place have an unsettling disconnection.

what/who can you believe?

trust your gut? well...sometimes this is good advice, but i have a feeling this "gut feeling" has a lot to do with the circumstances of your interview, which are very much in the control of the program in question.

a PD joked to me the other day: "the only people who lie more than residency applicants are residency program directors."

:love:

I didn't train at USC, but I had friends who graduated from the progam and friends that are attendings there now. One of them says morale among the residents is kinda of low. I think training at USC can be hit or miss. True, you do have a lot of autonomy on the county side. But, so do the surgery residents. So a 1-2 hr case becomes a 4-5 hr case cuz the resident is struggling the whole time and the attending is off on the university side operating and not available to help out. At the end of the day, you're not doing that many cases. Plus, you'll end up intubating everyone, which may not be the way things are done in the real world. On the university side, things will go faster, but surgeons are more malignant, and you may have less autonomy. I interviewed at USC a few years back, and I thought their didactics were a joke. On paper, USC seems like a great place cuz you get a balance of autonomy and trauma on the county side, and private practice experience on university side, but it may not be that rosy in real life.

"Poorly run interview day, they need to just start over. Their itinerary definitely runs on Desi Standard Time"

lol at the "Desi" std time

Could someone explain what desi std time is? PM if you prefer...

Sorry, just an ignorant white boy here. :)

Desi *usually* means anyone who is from (or has parents from, or grandparents, etc.) India or South Asia -- but doesn't live in India or South Asia now.

recent grad from USC: awesome clinical training, horrendous administration.

Philip D. Lumb, MB, MS, FCCM. (Chair/Professor of Anesthesia/Medical Director, Program of Nurse Anesthesia): Dr. Lumb is Professor and Chair of the Department of Anesthesiology. He is an expert in the fields of cardiac anesthesia and critical care medicine. He is active in numerous national and international anesthesia and critical care societies. He is immediate Past-President of the World Federation of Societies of Intensive and Critical Care Medicine Council and past Chancellor of the American College of Critical Care Medicine. His research interests include reperfusion injury, cardiopulmonary interactions and risk prevention in anesthesia and critical care environments

this guy is a fraud. never in the OR. neither is the PD.

I know this is an old thread, but couple years later...what do you guys think of USC now especially for those who rotated there or from current residents?

From my interview day, I thought they made some positive changes for the program. The new PD Dr. Varner seems to be a strong residents advocate (residents no longer share or compete cases with SRNA/CRNA, all the residents I've talked to said this used to be a problem but it's a non-issue now). Strong networking espcially for PP jobs in cali, good cases, good hours, residents seem really happy. Their only weakness seems to be not as much research but again I think they said they're trying to recruit some researchers

I know this is an old thread, but couple years later...what do you guys think of USC now especially for those who rotated there or from current residents?

From my interview day, I thought they made some positive changes for the program. The new PD Dr. Varner seems to be a strong residents advocate (residents no longer share or compete cases with SRNA/CRNA, all the residents I've talked to said this used to be a problem but it's a non-issue now). Strong networking espcially for PP jobs in cali, good cases, good hours, residents seem really happy. Their only weakness seems to be not as much research but again I think they said they're trying to recruit some researchers

the impression I got was that it was a solid program with great clinical training and happy residents. but in terms of academic prestige there are better options out there. does anyone disagree with this?

regarding cedars vs. usc, i'm not sure which one is better, they are both very well connected. cedars has a bigger hospital with some very big names in surgery there. and its probably more research oriented.

here's my impression of the programs in LA

lifestyle : USC > cedars > UCLA > Harbor
clinical training : UCLA > USC > cedars > harbor
academic : UCLA > Cedars > USC = harbor

any input?

between USC and cedars, cedars seem to have better reputation (true?), but I'm worried about the lack of autonomy..seems like there's too much hand-holding at cedars. I think my top choice is gonna come down to usc or cedars. BTW how are these programs compared to uci?

Just from what I have heard through interviewers and some other faculty (not to be named):
1. whenever Cedars name is mentioned, always followed up by 1:1 attending supervision and no autonomy. But from interview day, seemed like it was hit or miss with attendings like any other place; but definitely got more than enough autonomy on call-- especially airway call starting CA1 year where attending may not even show up.
2. USC still has rumblings of lots of SRNA/CRNA presence. Haven't interviewed there yet so TBD. USC still not mentioned as often for strong Cali program. May or may not represent it's actual training. That's just the way it is when in a state that has Stanford, UCLA, UCSF, and UCSD names.

any new insight now in 2018?