USC students...help!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zeezo23

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
Just recently I recieved a conditional acceptance letter into the fall 2004 pharmacy program at USC. However, I still have to take three more classes prior to august 20th in order to satisfy all of my pre reqs. The problem is that the classes I need to take are usually not offered in the summer, I have to take biochemsitry, molecular biology and interpersonal communication. Does anyone have any advice to offer as to what I can do, especially if you've gone through this route. I was able to find a couple of classes that can meet these requirmentes, however, biochemistry is just not offered during the summer around my area. Should I contact the school for some advice? Does this mean i will be rejected if I dont have all of those classes by aug. 20th? Will the school work around to help me figure it out??......please..any input would be greatly appreciated, sorry to make this long everyone.

I wish they let me know about this early on prior to the start of the semester, I don't want to let this opportunity pass me by.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi!

I think u should contact USC and see what they are telling. But, I have a question, here u r talking about u already got accepted at USC. So, from my understanding when the admission comittee looked at yr transcript, they always look for the pre-requirements that this perticular school requires and then if they feel like that u have completed most of the classes they require then ur in good shape. I also heard that some students get accepted at many universities without completing all requirements but, I think the reason is that if u have A's in all ur maths and sciences then they feel like u know good enough to enter to pharmacy school.

So, these might be some reasons that u got accepted at USC without completing 3 classes because yr GPA is strong enough. But, i don't think that u go ask USC about yr problem. Unless they perticularly told u to complete these classes prior to start Pharmacy school.

That's all I can help u with!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Do pharmacy schools actually let you start school without completing all science pre-requisites? I understand receiving acceptances prior to starting in the fall under the assumption that you complete whatever remains in the summer. But it doesn't seem like it would be fair to other students that had finished all prereqs prior to starting classes that one person didn't have to take all the classes.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would call USC and ask for their advise. I had to complete 2 pre-reqs during the summer before attending USC. I know for a fact that if you do not complete the pharmacy pre-reqs, USC will drop you from the program.

You have to complete the prerequsite classes... that's why they are called prerequisite ("prerequisite" n. Required or necessary as a prior condition: Competence is prerequisite to promotion) . Some schools might let certain people finish up one or two classes during their first semester, but it's rare and they rarely allow science classes. We had a student "removed" from our program for not completing pre-reqs. I would start calling local schools to see who offers the courses over the summer if you'd like to attend USC.

i think there is no way out but finish up all the classes before you go to school. yeah, call up the school and see what they say. worst comes to the worst, you might need to find another school that offers those classes that you need. good luck.

Hi zeezo, congrats on getting accepted to USC! As you mentioned, the letter you received was a conditional acceptance into the program. This means that they have accepted you under the condition that you complete all of the required courses and maintain a satisfactory academic standing. Because your remaining courses are important science prereqs, they are unlikely to waive them. If you need some "official" advice, talk to Jim Granderson in the admissions office. He has all the answers.

If USC is your top choice and a top priority at this time in your life, I would do whatever it takes to finish up those classes. I know someone that went to 3 different community colleges during one summer term to finish all her prerequisites before starting that fall. If you're not in a hurry, you may be able to ask for a deferred enrollment and begin next fall. You'd have to check with the office though.

Good luck with your classes... I'm in the process of completing mine :p

Hi Zeezo,

If you are in the southern California area, you should look into taking UCLA extension courses. Since spring quarter just started last week, I'm sure you can still add classes now (you'll only be a week behind). I know they are offering molecular bio classes which will help you fulfill the requirement. Classes are in the evening, once a week. And often times you really don't need to attend class because everything is straight from the text. They also offer courses in the summer!

Hope that helps! Good Luck!

Susanch76 said:
Hi Zeezo,

If you are in the southern California area, you should look into taking UCLA extension courses. Since spring quarter just started last week, I'm sure you can still add classes now (you'll only be a week behind). I know they are offering molecular bio classes which will help you fulfill the requirement. Classes are in the evening, once a week. And often times you really don't need to attend class because everything is straight from the text. They also offer courses in the summer!

Hope that helps! Good Luck!

Actually, it is three weeks into the spring quarter at UCLA Extension (I know this because I'm taking a class there), so you might not be able to add classes this late. As Susanch76 mentioned, they do offer many upper division courses during the summer. I'm currently taking a 6-unit physiology course with lab that is required for USC. The classes are held on the UCLA campus and generally meet about two nights a week... some classes only meet once a week. This is convenient if you work full-time during the day and can only take classes at night. It will cost you an average of $400 per course.

If you decide to go this route, be sure to email the course description to Xin Gong at [email protected] and get it approved by her, as I had to do with my physiology class. This will give you written proof that the class is acceptable by USC.

ALSO: all of the courses you need are offered at UCLA during the summer... so check out their summer schedule. You'll be done by August 6th, with time to spare! And check out Santa Monica College. They have the required courses as well.

Even if you don't live in L.A., you might enjoy staying at UCLA for the summer... it's a great school.

Hope this helps you a bit!

Hi Zeezo23,

I am actually sorta in the same situation as you are, where I still have several prerequisite courses to fullfill, but I am still only on the active consideration list. I'm having a hard time finding the classes I have to take because they aren't offered at a lot of places. USC is definately my first choice, so i wanna try to take all the classes this summer. I was offered admissions to another school, but i would love so much to go to USC. Could anyone give me advice as to what to do? I'm not sure if its worth taking all the classes, because i have like 4 left to take, and then not be offered admission to USC. I would rather have my summer be less stressful before i start pharm. school, but if its what it takes to go to USC, i'll definately do it. If i was in Zeezo's situation and offered conditional admissions, I'd have no hesitation, but the fact is that i am still only on the waitlist and not sure how great the chance is for me to get in. What to dO??

I would call Jim in the admissions office and ask him for advice. He will be able to tell you where you stand among the ranks, and what your chances are of being admitted. You'll be able to make an informed decision based on that information. And that will also allow your name to linger in his mind for awhile while he looks over your file.

Conditional Acceptance? Does that mean you are accepted under the terms that you complete your 3 prereqs classes that you have remaining? Well if that is so, I suggest you think about moving to the LA, California area around the end of May or June (That is, if you are not from there already) Reading from the previous posts, UCLA offers your needed classes over the summer. Ask parents to help pay for your living costs because you will be spending the summer taking 3 courses that will be going at a fast grueling pace. If you are not able to do this, I agree that deferring your enrollment is a path to look into. That way, maybe you can spend the following year working full time to save extra money for living costs and take ur prereqs courses at night. And your summer before entering pharm school wont be so stressful. You can even take a relaxing mini vacation before entering.

hi zeezo,

if you need to take all 3 classes, look into taking summer school at UCLA or SMC. they should offer all the 3 classes you need. it may be killer for you though, esp if you take biochem at ucla, but i'm sure you can do it! good luck! and def call USC ask them on what would be best.

also, subletting in westwood during the summer is dirt cheap and lots of places come furnished and with parking. so if you need to move closer, it's very plausible.

I want to thank everyone for their advice and input, I greatly appreciate it. So far im looking to take classes at ucla to satisfy these prereqs. I am not sure if this is the right move though, I live in the midwest and I have no clue as to what UCLA or LA is like. Anyways i'll keep yall updated on my situation, i'll talk to USC admissions on monday and see what they think..........again, thanks to everyone who replied to my post and offered advice.

I'm the one you need to talk to bc that was exaclty my sitch last summer. Conditional Acceptance is what everone gets when you haven't completed pre-reqs. Like i was conditionally accepted february of 2003.

You need to complete those courses, bc they will boot you if you don't. I had all sorts of trouble gettin my final stats credit in to jim and it became quite unnerving. There are many JCs in the LA area that you can complete pre-reqs so have no fear, but get registering now.

I had to complete a psych course at a jc in east la, a micro course in orange county, and an online stats course also based in orange county thru UCI extension. you gotta do it, so dont' even ponder not taking the course.