USC v.s Kern Med Center

Started by DRSTEPHI27
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

DRSTEPHI27

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have heard great things about USC and not as much about kern. they are both in LA so i was wondering the difference. If anyone has rotated through these, did u have a good/bad experience? Is one more DO friendly than the other?
Thanks
 
Kern is in Bakersfield, not LA. The PD is a DO, so I'd assume they are DO friendly. I don't know any more than that... sorry.
 
As previously stated, USC is in LA while Kern is well... a little more rural. Program wise, Kern is pretty solid w/ a good deal of pathology and resident responsiblity. The residents seemed happy over there, except some had trouble w/ the location and the fact that its so rural. I really like USC. It is the "knife and gun club" of the west coast. See tons of path. It is also pretty acedemic for being a County program. Lots of good teaching w/ amazing path to boot. Kern is defntly DO friendly. USC is hit/miss. Depending on the year they usually take 1-2 out of 18 residents. Doing a rotation over there as a DO HELPS!!!

PM me if you have any more ?'s,
FG