USC vs Columbia postbac

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

transplant

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently deciding between two postbac programs - Columbia's and USC's. I'm from Los Angeles originally so that's the primary reason I'd go to USC. Other than that, I'm indifferent between the two programs. Is there a compelling reason I should attend one over the other? I've heard very little about the USC program and am not sure if it's considered reputable among med schools. Any thoughts/advice would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm currently deciding between two postbac programs - Columbia's and USC's.
The main reason, IMHO, to select a post-bacc progra is if they have direct linkages to one or more medical schools. Those with direct linkages will guarantee its students a seat in a medical school if they perform above a certain level. Because of this, they tend ot have stricter enrollment requirements.

USC has no linkage affiliations. Columbia has 12 linkages.

For information on these and other post-bacc programs, check out http://services.aamc.org/postbac/.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm currently deciding between two postbac programs - Columbia's and USC's. I'm from Los Angeles originally so that's the primary reason I'd go to USC. Other than that, I'm indifferent between the two programs. Is there a compelling reason I should attend one over the other? I've heard very little about the USC program and am not sure if it's considered reputable among med schools. Any thoughts/advice would be appreciated.

I am at CSULB and I am happy with the school. If you already have a degree, consider a CSU. They are cheap and getting into classes is not all that difficult. I graduated from UCLA in 2004 and I wanted to stay in the LA area. A CSU was the logical, affordable choice for me. Also, they provide loans if you need them! Good luck.

Depending on what your UG GPA is, linkages are the way to go. If you did poorly, you won't be able to get into one and if you did absolutely fantastic then you won't need a linkage. But if you're in neither of those camps, go with a sure thing - it gets you a safety school at the bare minimum.

One more thing to consider between USC and Columbia. Starting in the spring means that you can finish in 1.5 years at USC compared to 2.5 years at Columbia. My feeling is that if this is what I want to do, why delay it an additional year.

Any thoughts? I need to make a decision this week...

Search past posts on the Columbia program. Other folks have written about it on here and the reviews aren't all good. Factor in that an extra year at Columbia will be an extra year of living in NY and the costs associated with it.

One thing to consider with linkages is that everyone in the post-bac program is competing for the few linkage spots. So attending a program with linkages like Columbia doesn't guarantee you'll be linked.

Regardless, I don't think you can make a bad decision. Good luck!

Have you considered Scripps in Claremont, CA? They offer a 12, 15, or 24 month program, and if you do the 12 month program, you'll save approximately 10g's.

I was facing this very same decision over the summer, except that I am from NY. I wanted very badly to go to USC (I was accepted) but I was unable to attend for personal reasons (my boyfriend was unable to transfer schools). Anyhow, I definitely would have preferred to attend their program, and would advise that to you. I certainly have mixed feelings about Columbia, and I thought the USC program was absolutely wonderful. It was small, and personal, with a lot of individual attention (all of which are lacking at Columbia).

In terms of getting into medical school, consider where you want to go. A lot of people I spoke with said that if you want to go to a California medical school, going to USC is a big plus, as opposed to Columbia. As I said, if I had had the option, I would have gone to USC. Not sure if that helps at all, but good luck either way.

according to the columbia website, their post bac program is only open to residents of NY state