USC vs Emory vs USUHS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

em3761

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Having a really hard time making a decision and I'd appreciate any advice.

Despite the fact that USUHS is significantly lower ranked than USC/Emory it was initially my first choice--I really liked my interview day, students seemed more laid back/team oriented, and I've had a long term interest in serving in the military. However a couple of students/alums I've talked to seemed to regret their choice (really long commitment of 7 years post residency, might not get the specialty I want, etc.) Ultimately USUHS seems like a good choice only if I want a full/20 yr military career, and I'm not sure that's what I want. I think I've pretty much eliminated USUHS at this point but it was the one I was the most enthusiastic about, while both USC and Emory I'm kind of meh about (though that may just be because I don't know as much about them)

Anyway, these are the questions I'm trying to figure out:

-I think what I really liked about USUHS was the culture (non-gunnerish, feeling that everyone is working toward the same goal). Based on this, would Emory or USC be a better choice? The people I met on my interview day at Emory seemed kinda overcompetitive/neurotic but I was there on an exam day, so I probably can't judge too much from that...

-Although I don't think I want to make the military my career I still think I would like to serve at some point. Would HPSP/FAP be good options?

Members don't see this ad.

As an Atlantan, Emory all the way! I'd love to be accepted there.

Do what you really feel is right, I guess.. but yeah, go to Emory. Haha

Reactions: 1 user
USUHS is all about military medicine: if that's what you want to do, the choice is clear. If not, the other two are better picks. USC vs. Emory is basically a choice of geography and which school you liked better.

If you're interested in CDC stuff, Emory is a strong pick. USC has a really neat environment, however. You can't really go wrong with either of them.

Members don't see this ad :)
Your goals don't like up with USUHS'.

Assign emory and usc to either side of a coin. Flip said coin. There's your decision. If for some reason you feel strongly against the coin flip, then go to the other place.

You can't really lose between those two schools though.

Emory might be a bit stronger for medicine but USC is probably better known for surgery. Source: friends who just matched into IM and ortho respectively.

Emory's administration is vehemently opposed to video recording of lectures (weird), and the only alternative to attending is to pay into a student-run transcription service for the audio recordings (unless you want to transcribe them yourself).

Last edited: