USC vs NYU vs Michigan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

2ne1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am deciding between these three schools, USC, Michigan and NYU.
I have UCLA and Penn interview coming up in January so I must put down deposite for one of the three schools. I haven't heard back from Columbia yet(after the interview) and I am a California resident. Cost is the most important factor to me.

Any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

I have UCLA and Penn interview coming up in January so I must put down deposite for one of the three schools. I haven't heard back from Columbia yet(after the interview) and I am a California resident. Cost is the most important factor to me.

Any advice?

Looks like you're in really good shape, congrats. Im sure you know the pricetags of all 3 schools, and you said that cost is important to you so it should be a no brainer here. UMich is an awesome school and campus, not to mention 20k/year less than the other 2. I'm assuming UCLA is your first choice?

Any advice?

I don't know much about the other schools, but I do know that USC is one of the most expensive dental schools to graduate from when you also include living expenses (after NYU of course). All I can think about is the finaid presentation at USC when the lady showed how fresh grads come out with ~$450K (NOT EVEN INCLUDING INTEREST)... that's around half a million before you've even seen a patient in the "real world!" ... and if you have undergrad loans... add those in and I don't know how I'd be able to sleep at night. Don't get me wrong though, USC is a great school and I actually liked the PBL (wasn't sure if it was the most efficient way to learn dental medicine for 4 yrs)... but it's just way to pricey IMO

Members don't see this ad :)

Any advice?

If cost is most important to you... Take NYU and USC out of the mix... thats a 400+k education (living expense included).

I think with michigan, since your out of state, it will come to about 350k

Here is USC cost website:
http://dentistry.usc.edu/doctoral.aspx?id=912&linkidentifier=id&itemid=912&menu_id=258

Thank you for the replies! UCLA would be great, since I will be able to get in-state tuition, but I am waiting to hear back from Columbia. Staying closer with my family is definitely a plus, but USC seems too pricy and I am also not sure about the PBL. Michigan is a great school, and the only concern I have is that it is a little far away from California. Also, I have no relative or friends in Michigan, so I have no idea about how things are in Michigan. When I visited, it seemed like a quite, beautiful suburban town but I wonder how things are in winter? Would I need a car if I go to Ann Arbor?

With cost and location out of the picture, is michigan's program far better than those of USC and NYU? Please help me out here! Thanks.

Thank you for the replies! UCLA would be great, since I will be able to get in-state tuition, but I am waiting to hear back from Columbia. Staying closer with my family is definitely a plus, but USC seems too pricy and I am also not sure about the PBL. Michigan is a great school, and the only concern I have is that it is a little far away from California. Also, I have no relative or friends in Michigan, so I have no idea about how things are in Michigan. When I visited, it seemed like a quite, beautiful suburban town but I wonder how things are in winter? Would I need a car if I go to Ann Arbor?

With cost and location out of the picture, is michigan's program far better than those of USC and NYU? Please help me out here! Thanks.

I don't think so... Univ of Michigan doesn't have spaces for parking. You'd end up playing like $10 a day just to park, not worth it. 50 cent buss ride is more economical

Given that cost is the most important factor, you should take USC and NYU out from the list. Besides, Michigan has an excellent program. :)

Last edited:
The winter's in Ann Arbor are going to be cold but it's not too bad. Ann Arbor's a great city though. It's a college town through and through, and is really one of the nicest places I've ever lived. Also you shouldn't worry too much about transportation, most students live in apartments that are a 5-10 minute walk from school, and if you prefer to live further away your ID gives you free bus rides. I also didn't know anyone when I decided to come to Michigan, but I've been very, VERY happy with my decision.:D

... also, I apparently clicked on the wrong forum (I'm a med student), but glad to help anyways haha.