USC vs NYU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mysteree

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, Ok I got a minimal amount of time within which to make this decision. Help!!!! I've just been accepted to USC, :D now I don't know where to go, I'm leaning towards USC. I'd be open to hear existing students or other perspectives feedback. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Mysteree said:
Hi guys, Ok I got a minimal amount of time within which to make this decision. Help!!!! I've just been accepted to USC, :D now I don't know where to go, I'm leaning towards USC. I'd be open to hear existing students or other perspectives feedback. Thanks!

I am a 3rd year student and here is whats going on. You have to be self motivated to be in the PBL program. Also during my interview, they told us that we do a procedure in the lab and right away we do the proceudre on the patient. This is total BS, I have not done a root canal for over a year, even though our preclinical was last Spring. Furthermore, we are having a hard time getting patients so that we can graduate because of the prices the school charges ($50 for a cleaning plus 3 hrs of wait time). Almost half (60) of the 2006 class is not going to graduate on time (will finish by the end of August which means an additional $3000). Furthermore, in addition to the $65000 you pay for tuition, there are supplies you have to buy in addition (curing lights$300, articulators ($350), books ($400/semester). Finally, some students end up paying for their patients work in order to graduate! Honestly, I do not know much about NYU even though I interviewed and got accepted there 3 years ago. I picked USC because of location (family, wife). Also, their facilites are good (newer vs. NYU) the USC school has a good reputation because of the previous traditional program, not PBL. I wish I could tell you more about NYU but again I do not know much. Good luck with your choice. :D

Members don't see this ad :)
dentalstu said:
I am a 3rd year student and here is whats going on. You have to be self motivated to be in the PBL program. Also during my interview, they told us that we do a procedure in the lab and right away we do the proceudre on the patient. This is total BS, I have not done a root canal for over a year, even though our preclinical was last Spring. Furthermore, we are having a hard time getting patients so that we can graduate because of the prices the school charges ($50 for a cleaning plus 3 hrs of wait time). Almost half (60) of the 2006 class is not going to graduate on time (will finish by the end of August which means an additional $3000). Furthermore, in addition to the $65000 you pay for tuition, there are supplies you have to buy in addition (curing lights$300, articulators ($350), books ($400/semester). Finally, some students end up paying for their patients work in order to graduate! Honestly, I do not know much about NYU even though I interviewed and got accepted there 3 years ago. I picked USC because of location (family, wife). Also, their facilites are good (newer vs. NYU) the USC school has a good reputation because of the previous traditional program, not PBL. I wish I could tell you more about NYU but again I do not know much. Good luck with your choice. :D

wow-sounds like 23rd street sounds better.

I personally picked NYU over USC because I didn't get into USC. :laugh:

absurdhippo said:
I personally picked NYU over USC because I didn't get into USC. :laugh:

that's funny :)

USC over NYU anyday. location, rep, not to mention superb peer-to-peer network. you'll benefit so much more as usc graduate after school compared to nyu, assuming you are staying in california to practice.

both schools are expensive as hell, nyu is pretty much considered a slum, soo....i dont see much of a choice here. believe me, i hate usc, with all my heart and soul, but dont throw away your life by going to nyu :laugh:

good luck, whichever school you go to, you'll end up doing what you love!

dentalstu said:

I thought USC didn't have required texts?

polarnut said:
both schools are expensive as hell, nyu is pretty much considered a slum, soo....i dont see much of a choice here. believe me, i hate usc, with all my heart and soul, but dont throw away your life by going to nyu :laugh:

whoa, buddy.. where'd you get "nyu is a slum"? I've toured it twice and let me tell you, the school is no slum.. Bunch of new facilities.. especially this year.. brand spankin new lounge and all.. Not a slum! Its just super expensive... thats a down side.

I've never been to USC so I can't say.

NYU's website is prolly the coolest dental website I've ever seen. :luck:

congrats on the acceptance!! :D

Im hoping to hear good news as well :oops:

iviikoivi said:
NYU's website is prolly the coolest dental website I've ever seen. :luck:

congrats on the acceptance!! :D

Im hoping to hear good news as well :oops:

Thanks, g'luck to you too!

Wow, dentalstu are you serious that you're having difficulty getting patients? USC prides itself of not having a shortage of patients. I know students at other schools have had problems, but I didn't know USC also had the same problem. Those are some daunting #s, re: half the class not graduating on time. How did you guys study for the boards? Thanks for your help.

dentalstu said:

Im a 2nd year at NYU, feel free to PM me if you have any questions...or just shoot.

Members don't see this ad :)
USC over nyu

I would pick NYU over USC but not for any real reason except that every dentist I've met who graduated from there has given nothing but stellar reviews. I'm also from the NE which makes me biased.

Good luck on your decision though. You'll be very well off wherever you choose. Congrats!

Mack

dentalstu said:
Furthermore, we are having a hard time getting patients so that we can graduate because of the prices the school charges ($50 for a cleaning plus 3 hrs of wait time). Almost half (60) of the 2006 class is not going to graduate on time (will finish by the end of August which means an additional $3000).

I thought USC has a large patient pool and that the students do not have a hard time getting patients? If there is a "3 hour wait time", doesn't that mean that there are a lot of patients waiting to get treated on? Just curious if I still want to go to USC or not.

To the OP, what is there to like about NYU? besides the similar cost, how can you compare NYU to USC???

xTonEx said:
I thought USC has a large patient pool and that the students do not have a hard time getting patients? If there is a "3 hour wait time", doesn't that mean that there are a lot of patients waiting to get treated on? Just curious if I still want to go to USC or not.

Here is the thing. There is a 3 hour wait time not because there are a lot of patients. You set up the appointment with the patient, put them in the chair and wait for faculty to come by and give you a start check to proceed. Then you do the work, have them check and proceed as indicated. This is why it takes 3 hours at least for the appointment. The patients are first screened ($80 screening fee whihc includes xrays, phys eval, and treatment plan). Then it takes 3 weeks for the patient to get assigned to a student. And then after the screening, those appointments take 3 hours that I medntioned above. :smuggrin:

Mysteree said:
Wow, dentalstu are you serious that you're having difficulty getting patients? USC prides itself of not having a shortage of patients. I know students at other schools have had problems, but I didn't know USC also had the same problem. Those are some daunting #s, re: half the class not graduating on time. How did you guys study for the boards? Thanks for your help.

For the part 1 boards, we had mock boards. They basically screen us to take the boards and we have to get a certain percentage to take the boards. In our class, we had 10-15 students who did not take the boards and we studied using dental decks and USMLE part 1. They gave us 3 weeks off before the boards to study. For Part 2, USC gets around 49th place. We usually study using dental decks part 2 and clinical experience helps a lot.

I can't believe you are even comparing these two schools. Besides the tuition, what is there to compare? OP, what do you like about NYU??? Can you honestly see yourself going to NYU when you could go to USC? For me, there is no comparison here, GO TROJANS!!!

I went to both interviews in the same week and I'd have to say the USC is way more impressive that NYU. At least at USC, you get to do a REAL dissection on a cadaver. (NYU uses pre-sliced mummies)

dentalstu said:
For the part 1 boards, we had mock boards. They basically screen us to take the boards and we have to get a certain percentage to take the boards. In our class, we had 10-15 students who did not take the boards and we studied using dental decks and USMLE part 1. They gave us 3 weeks off before the boards to study. For Part 2, USC gets around 49th place. We usually study using dental decks part 2 and clinical experience helps a lot.

Thanks for your feedback. Ok, 49th place..that's pretty low..could anyone tell me how many dental schools there are in all? How can one do well on these boards, if the typical SC student isn't doing so well. :confused:

DATRAT said:
I can't believe you are even comparing these two schools. Besides the tuition, what is there to compare? OP, what do you like about NYU??? Can you honestly see yourself going to NYU when you could go to USC? For me, there is no comparison here, GO TROJANS!!!

DATRAT, please tell me what does "OP" stand for? I see it everywhere, but don't have a clue as to what it means :oops: Honestly, I haven't seen NYU, I got accepted w/out an interview. That clearly has it's advantages and disadvantages (I haven't seen the school). Are you going to USC? I'm leaning (quite heavily) towards USC so far.

EyeAmCommi said:
I went to both interviews in the same week and I'd have to say the USC is way more impressive that NYU. At least at USC, you get to do a REAL dissection on a cadaver. (NYU uses pre-sliced mummies)

I remember you mentioning that you were going to those interviews, congrats on getting into UCLA! Thanks for you feedback, thus far I hadn't met anyone who'd interviewed at both schools. Do you think they are about the same as far as facilities are concerned? I'd heard about NYU have pre dissected cadavers.

Thank you all for your feedback thus far...anyone else please feel free to chime in :)

OP = original poster. (the person who started the thread)

Almost half (60) of the 2006 class is not going to graduate on time (will finish by the end of August which means an additional $3000).

Did the school email everyone telling you 60 students aren't going to graduate or do you personally know 60 students who aren't going to graduate

Mysteree said:
Thanks for your feedback. Ok, 49th place..that's pretty low..could anyone tell me how many dental schools there are in all? How can one do well on these boards, if the typical SC student isn't doing so well. :confused:

there are 54 dental schools (i think, correct me if im wrong all you people that know so many facts about dental schools). As a future student at USC I was concerned with the same thing. I talked with a professor in restorative dentistry at USC and he told me that the students simply aren't motivated to study and do well in part II boards because it does not affect their fate in specializing. As 11 ortho and 7 omfs matched last year, many students concentrate on part I's and they score pretty damn well. Top 10-15 i believe. Also USC has one of the largest class sizes in the nation, 144 students, so you will have a wide range of students. Married (with and without kids), slackers, over achievers, and etc. Also many students that go there already have family practices to join, Daddy went to USC and now they have to and they are just here for a degree. So do well and you will succeed. USC over NYU in a heart beat btw.

you guys should keep in mind though, dentalstu could just be one of those "waitlisted but need just a few more guys to drop off the USC-accepted-list".
no offense to him or anything, i just thought it was sketchy that his only 3 posts were some crazy negative things he said about his school. like he's so hardcore against the guy going to USC.

dentalstu said:
Here is the thing. There is a 3 hour wait time not because there are a lot of patients. You set up the appointment with the patient, put them in the chair and wait for faculty to come by and give you a start check to proceed. Then you do the work, have them check and proceed as indicated. This is why it takes 3 hours at least for the appointment. The patients are first screened ($80 screening fee whihc includes xrays, phys eval, and treatment plan). Then it takes 3 weeks for the patient to get assigned to a student. And then after the screening, those appointments take 3 hours that I medntioned above. :smuggrin:

woow sounds so new in the dental school curriculum... you have to actually sit the patient down in the chair first, learn something new everyday, mcworld. And harvard students just get the patients, don't do any screening and start drilling right??

i could become president of the united states, MCWORLD!!!!!

*takes a bite of a big mac*

Yeyyy said:
you guys should keep in mind though, dentalstu could just be one of those "waitlisted but need just a few more guys to drop off the USC-accepted-list".
no offense to him or anything, i just thought it was sketchy that his only 3 posts were some crazy negative things he said about his school. like he's so hardcore against the guy going to USC.

I agree. There is no way that USC has a hard time getting patients.

dentalstu said:
...we are having a hard time getting patients so that we can graduate because of the prices the school charges ($50 for a cleaning plus 3 hrs of wait time).

dentalstu said:
You set up the appointment with the patient, put them in the chair and wait for faculty to come by and give you a start check to proceed. Then you do the work, have them check and proceed as indicated. This is why it takes 3 hours at least for the appointment. The patients are first screened ($80 screening fee whihc includes xrays, phys eval, and treatment plan). Then it takes 3 weeks for the patient to get assigned to a student. And then after the screening, those appointments take 3 hours that I medntioned above.

"3 hours" really depends on how clinically trained the student is. Screening and the "check and proceed" procedure should be the same throughout all dental schools. Did you expect to finish a treatment without having faculty follow-up on your procedures each step of the way? If USC Dental allowed their students to completely finish a treatment and have a faculty check to if it was done correctly at the end, then I would agree that USC would have a hard time finding patients.

One more thing...

60 Students not graduating on time and 49th place on the boards seems a little too unbelievable to me. DentalStu, where do you get your information? If you can provide us with a credible source stating these "facts", then I will withdrawl my application from USC just for you!

dentalstu said:

49th place?? where on earth are you getting your numbers from?? USC over NYU hands down. NYU is flashy, great specialty research going on there as well. But the dental students aren't taught basic sciences well, don't get much clinical exposure vs. USC. The class size of both schools is a negative - too large. Anyone reading this post should remember there are many SDNers with their own agendas, dentalstu included in my opinion.

jokerjoe12 said:
there are 54 dental schools (i think, correct me if im wrong all you people that know so many facts about dental schools). As a future student at USC I was concerned with the same thing. I talked with a professor in restorative dentistry at USC and he told me that the students simply aren't motivated to study and do well in part II boards because it does not affect their fate in specializing. As 11 ortho and 7 omfs matched last year, many students concentrate on part I's and they score pretty damn well. Top 10-15 i believe. Also USC has one of the largest class sizes in the nation, 144 students, so you will have a wide range of students. Married (with and without kids), slackers, over achievers, and etc. Also many students that go there already have family practices to join, Daddy went to USC and now they have to and they are just here for a degree. So do well and you will succeed. USC over NYU in a heart beat btw.

Greetings,

Thanks Jokerjoe for your post.

I find USC to be very impressive with respect to residency matching.

Do you know the results pertaining to the other specialty fields?

Mysteree said:
DATRAT, please tell me what does "OP" stand for? I see it everywhere, but don't have a clue as to what it means :oops: Honestly, I haven't seen NYU, I got accepted w/out an interview. That clearly has it's advantages and disadvantages (I haven't seen the school). Are you going to USC? I'm leaning (quite heavily) towards USC so far.

OP = original poster = YOU :cool:

NYU all the way baby!...clearly an unbiased view

Sunny_1225 said:
Greetings,

Thanks Jokerjoe for your post.

I find USC to be very impressive with respect to residency matching.

Do you know the results pertaining to the other specialty fields?

no i dont sorry, these are just ruff numbers that i got from my friends that go there, there could even be more students who matched in omfs or ortho. 7 and 11 are numbers i got from my friend who are friends or know of people who matched.

jokerjoe12 said:
7 and 11 are numbers i got from my friend who are friends or know of people who matched.

Just a reminder to take everything you read on SDN with a whole lotta salt.

Actually when I interviewed there...I asked the Dean how they do on there Part I boards and he said tehy do really well...I also asked him how they do on their Part II boards and he said that they don't do very well at all....he said a lot of it is because getting clinical experience is difficult sometimes....

michaelazna said:
Actually when I interviewed there...I asked the Dean how they do on there Part I boards and he said tehy do really well...I also asked him how they do on their Part II boards and he said that they don't do very well at all....he said a lot of it is because getting clinical experience is difficult sometimes....

well i guess the 2010 class is gonna change it! whos for USC being top 5 school again? Go Trojans!

jokerjoe12 said:
well i guess the 2010 class is gonna change it! whos for USC being top 5 school again? Go Trojans!

Go Trojans ;)

Mysteree said:
I remember you mentioning that you were going to those interviews, congrats on getting into UCLA! Thanks for you feedback, thus far I hadn't met anyone who'd interviewed at both schools. Do you think they are about the same as far as facilities are concerned? I'd heard about NYU have pre dissected cadavers.

The facilities are both really nice. NYU is still doing some remodeling so maybe half of it is old but the other half is completely brand new. USC looks equally impressive with almost all of their facilities being pretty new (I think). So the quality of the facilities don't really matter to me that much but NYU makes you share lab space with another student. What I mean is, their class is so large that you have to sit behind another student and watch him work while you wait for your turn to get at the bench! That's how the labs at NYU were presented to me and that did not impress me very much at all.

A friend of mine graduated from USC last year. He loves it. In fact, he said his school was the best school in California. I just kept quiet. The only thing that may seem negative about it is the PBL. If you like it, there shouldn't even be a question. I heard they scored well on board exams too.

S Files said:
49th place?? where on earth are you getting your numbers from?? USC over NYU hands down. NYU is flashy, great specialty research going on there as well. But the dental students aren't taught basic sciences well, don't get much clinical exposure vs. USC. The class size of both schools is a negative - too large. Anyone reading this post should remember there are many SDNers with their own agendas, dentalstu included in my opinion.

I dont have an agenda. Go ahead and go to USC and soon enough you will find out the truth. The people who give you tours and go to lunch with you are freshman, which have NO idea what clinic is like. Yes we do very well on part 1, but part 2 is another issue like I mentioned earlier. I am NOT making anything up so stop with the accusations. You can ask ANY senior or junior student and they will tell you the same thing. :laugh:

Go to whichever school is easier on the $$$.

In the end, you're a dentist either way.

If the $$ is the same, I'd personally go to USC because it's closer to family and weather is nicer.

EyeAmCommi said:
The facilities are both really nice. NYU is still doing some remodeling so maybe half of it is old but the other half is completely brand new. USC looks equally impressive with almost all of their facilities being pretty new (I think). So the quality of the facilities don't really matter to me that much but NYU makes you share lab space with another student. What I mean is, their class is so large that you have to sit behind another student and watch him work while you wait for your turn to get at the bench! That's how the labs at NYU were presented to me and that did not impress me very much at all.

what the hell are you talking about? uhh... we get our own lab seats, I think you're mistaken the fact that they split the class into 2 sections. This "wait your turn at the bench" thing is just *****ic

I've seen USC campus a few times visiting California...I am from the West Coast and I would personally go to the East Coast to go to school. My cousin graduated from NYU Dental and he is doing great now in California!! He said he had so many patients to work on that there was NEVER a shortage. I mean come on its Manhattan...I personally believe everyones got to live in NYC sometime in their life..You get exposed to so many situations that leaving NY your ready for anything... Thats just my take.. plus Southern Cali is so overcrowded compared to Manhattans great public transportation system.

i've interviewed at both schools. and i have friends attending both.
At USC, the PBL style makes it a very different program. as far as i know, there are no textbooks, and no old fashioned classes. If your used to a traditional program, this might not be for you, but if you are very self motivated then you can pull it off.
As far as NYU, people who comment without having seen the school this or last year, might be off. the school is rapidly changing. the school does carry a stigma as the largest in the country. Their is a new dean who is really trying to improve the quality of the school, which was more appealing to me. the facilities are brand new, and i'm sure at USC the facilities are good also, that should be a non-issue. they both cost ridiculous amounts of money, that should also be a non issue.

question is, where are you from? where would you prefer to live? east or west? and do you like old fashioned class and lecture, or PBL.
Personally, had i attended USC i would've constantly wondered what i was paying 80k for, without text books and professors and classes.

good luck

I chose NYU (I got offers from both.)

Simply PBL is not for me.