• Set Yourself Up For Success Webinar

October 6, 2021 at 2 PM Eastern/11 AM Pacific
    SDN and Osmosis are teaming up to help you get set up for success this school year! We'll be covering study tips, healthy habits, and meeting mentors.

Register Now!

• Site Updates Coming Soon

Site updates are coming next week on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Click the button below to learn more!

LEARN MORE

USC vs. SUNY Downstate

baya

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 27, 2004
  1. Medical Student
Hey guys - I'm trying to decide between USC Keck and SUNY Downstate for medical school.

I'm posting to this list in hopes that those further ahead in the process will know more than I do about it.

Does anyone have any idea of the relative prestige of the two?

SUNY Downstate doesn't participate in external rankings, so I can't tell that way, and residency match results that tell things like how many people got something in their top three are 1) hard to find and 2) seem to vary a lot year to year.

Prestige isn't my only factor, of course - just the one I'm having the hardest time finding info about.

So - anybody know anything about Downstate's reputation as compared to USC?

Thanks!
-Kate

Upvote 0

ny skindoc

15+ Year Member
Jul 30, 2002
If prestige is factor then I would say that USC is more prestigious than Downstate.Having said that whether it will make a difference to you is another matter.Downstates residency match list is very strong with many matches to competitive spcialties and hospitals.If dermatology interests you it has a large Derm dept and usually matches 2-4 a year http://mywebpages.comcast.net/longk/DermMatch2004.htm Its overall reputation in the NY area is very strong.If you want to end up in California then USC is a more logical choice.

Upvote 0
About the Ads

Kaiser_sioze

15+ Year Member
Aug 1, 2003
I'm a 3rd year at Downstate and personally, I do not regret it. Lots of hands on stuff cause of the hospitals you rotate in. There's a lot of stuff in kings county hospital that you'll never see anywhere else. If you're not scared of realy getting your feet wet in your clinical years then Downstate is a good choice. BUt the very best thing is the cost.

You can check out Downstate's match list on their site and we've been doing quite well. Don't measeure a school by the # of dermatology matches, because it's a matter of preference, Only 3 people were interested in derm this year. 8/8 in opthamology though so you never know.

Hope this helps,

Upvote 0
About the Ads
This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.