USC vs. SUNY Downstate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

baya

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys - I'm trying to decide between USC Keck and SUNY Downstate for medical school.

I'm posting to this list in hopes that those further ahead in the process will know more than I do about it.

Does anyone have any idea of the relative prestige of the two?

SUNY Downstate doesn't participate in external rankings, so I can't tell that way, and residency match results that tell things like how many people got something in their top three are 1) hard to find and 2) seem to vary a lot year to year.

Prestige isn't my only factor, of course - just the one I'm having the hardest time finding info about.

So - anybody know anything about Downstate's reputation as compared to USC?

Thanks!
-Kate

Members don't see this ad.

I know only 1 person matched into Derm from downstate.

If prestige is factor then I would say that USC is more prestigious than Downstate.Having said that whether it will make a difference to you is another matter.Downstates residency match list is very strong with many matches to competitive spcialties and hospitals.If dermatology interests you it has a large Derm dept and usually matches 2-4 a year http://mywebpages.comcast.net/longk/DermMatch2004.htm Its overall reputation in the NY area is very strong.If you want to end up in California then USC is a more logical choice.

Members don't see this ad :)
The only reason i would pick Downstate is because its cheap for NY residents, personally, I had a terrible interview experience and left with a very bad impression of the school (currently MS1 at Drexel)

I'm a 3rd year at Downstate and personally, I do not regret it. Lots of hands on stuff cause of the hospitals you rotate in. There's a lot of stuff in kings county hospital that you'll never see anywhere else. If you're not scared of realy getting your feet wet in your clinical years then Downstate is a good choice. BUt the very best thing is the cost.

You can check out Downstate's match list on their site and we've been doing quite well. Don't measeure a school by the # of dermatology matches, because it's a matter of preference, Only 3 people were interested in derm this year. 8/8 in opthamology though so you never know.

Hope this helps,