1. What do you find most helpful? Give us your feedback on the 2019 SDN Member Survey to help further the SDN mission (and win prizes!)
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

USC vs. SUNY Downstate

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by baya, Mar 27, 2004.

1. baya

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Hey guys - I'm trying to decide between USC Keck and SUNY Downstate for medical school.

I'm posting to this list in hopes that those further ahead in the process will know more than I do about it.

Does anyone have any idea of the relative prestige of the two?

SUNY Downstate doesn't participate in external rankings, so I can't tell that way, and residency match results that tell things like how many people got something in their top three are 1) hard to find and 2) seem to vary a lot year to year.

Prestige isn't my only factor, of course - just the one I'm having the hardest time finding info about.

So - anybody know anything about Downstate's reputation as compared to USC?

Thanks!
    -Kate

2. Bevo

Bevo Radiology, R1
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I know only 1 person matched into Derm from downstate.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. ny skindoc

ny skindoc Senior Member
    15+ Year Member

If prestige is factor then I would say that USC is more prestigious than Downstate.Having said that whether it will make a difference to you is another matter.Downstates residency match list is very strong with many matches to competitive spcialties and hospitals.If dermatology interests you it has a large Derm dept and usually matches 2-4 a year http://mywebpages.comcast.net/longk/DermMatch2004.htm Its overall reputation in the NY area is very strong.If you want to end up in California then USC is a more logical choice.

4. AndyDufrane

AndyDufrane Member
    15+ Year Member

The only reason i would pick Downstate is because its cheap for NY residents, personally, I had a terrible interview experience and left with a very bad impression of the school (currently MS1 at Drexel)

5. Kaiser_sioze

Kaiser_sioze Junior Member

I'm a 3rd year at Downstate and personally, I do not regret it. Lots of hands on stuff cause of the hospitals you rotate in. There's a lot of stuff in kings county hospital that you'll never see anywhere else. If you're not scared of realy getting your feet wet in your clinical years then Downstate is a good choice. BUt the very best thing is the cost.

You can check out Downstate's match list on their site and we've been doing quite well. Don't measeure a school by the # of dermatology matches, because it's a matter of preference, Only 3 people were interested in derm this year. 8/8 in opthamology though so you never know.

Hope this helps,