usc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thebigticket

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
someone talk to me about the usc program...is it worth going to?

Members don't see this ad.

I ended up cancelling my USC actually after speaking to students from USC while on the interview trail as well as after talking to people who had already interviewed there. Reputation-wise, its not regarded that highly and underwent substantial turmoil in the past few years. Currently, it remains IMG-attending heavy (which you can see by looking at faculty on their website) and didactics could use improvement (apparently it is common for residents to give lectures rather than attendings). People from USC have often complained about the downtrodden facilities (especially in the county hospital, which lacks air conditioning in the summer), but hey, it's still in southern California. Hope this helps.

thanks for your response. i would love to go to SoCal, but i don't want to go to a bad program. i heard usc provides great training because of county hospital. and i thought residents were pretty happy there. i'm trying to decide whether i should pursue SoCal or go to a more reputable place, like Clev Clinic or U of Rochester. any words of advice?

Members don't see this ad :)
I have heard from students/residents on the interview trail that alot of the attendings there are incompetent, the hospital is run down, and the residents are unhappy (im not sure if its true but one CA3 I talked to transfered from USC and apparently so did 10 of his other classmates) You may want to ask for yourself how many of the CA3's are orginal members. I personally didnt interview there. It sounds like you have some other really good progams to choose from. I would go for those, socal will be there when you finish. Good Luck.

thanks MariaG for your input. i think i am going to take your advice and try one of the other programs. maybe i can still make it to SoCal in the future, but i want to get good training at a reputable place for now,