USCAP meeting

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gbwillner

Pastafarian
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Who's going this year???? I'm submitting an abstract today... hope it is accepted. :)

Members don't see this ad.

I've submitted an abstract as well, but I'm not sure I will actually be able to go the meeting. My school's path department won't cover all of my expenses, so I don't know if it's worth it when I'm already spending so much money on interviewing all over the place for residency. My mentor is unsure he will be able to attend, so we submitted it for poster only.

Submitted on Thursday. We'll see, but I'm not holding out much hope of getting this thing accepted. Btw, who's brilliant idea was Boston in March?

Members don't see this ad :)
Submitted on Thursday. We'll see, but I'm not holding out much hope of getting this thing accepted. Btw, who's brilliant idea was Boston in March?

I think when a conference starts attaining the size of what the USCAP is now they are somewhat hamstrung by locations and timing. They now basically need a conference center. Atlanta in 2006 might be the last time it is/was confined to a hotel.

its gonna be so dope!

Last edited:
We have an abstract in!

Mindy
Medical Examiner
MA OCME

Why is it that every year we know WAY in advance when the deadline for USCAP...

and every year we wait until the last minute to scramble to get our abstracts in??

Such is the motto where we're at...this past week and weekend are a mad dash in the department...and Monday we'll all be in a frenzy to submit everything by 1am EST!

*sigh* And, to top it all off it is in Boston...right next door.

Oh well..it's all for the good of science ;)

Can't wait until we submit Monday night!

I hear ya! My colleagues and I are scrambling to get our abstracts in on Monday as well. Worked all day tabulating data for two abstracts today and wrote another one tonight. Back to watching the game...

Why is it that every year we know WAY in advance when the deadline for USCAP...

and every year we wait until the last minute to scramble to get our abstracts in??

Such is the motto where we're at...this past week and weekend are a mad dash in the department...and Monday we'll all be in a frenzy to submit everything by 1am EST!

*sigh* And, to top it all off it is in Boston...right next door.

Oh well..it's all for the good of science ;)

Can't wait until we submit Monday night!

Last edited by a moderator:
For those who are having difficulty getting their program to cover conference expenses, try researching travel awards. I think the CAP offers one, and so does ICPI.

results are in!!

i'm going to boston!

good luck everyone.:luck:

ACHIEVEMENT UNLOCKED!
Mine is in.

Members don't see this ad :)
Pros: Posters!

Cons: Writing the paper.

I think we should have an informal SDN Bar event at the meeting
Bring on the drinks!

i'd be up for it. i'm gonna go freaking crazy in boston.

yeah now the pressure is on the write, 1) b/c you know some tool is gonna come by your poster and scoop your idea, and 2) feel guilty not following through and seeing your project to the finish.

Weird - I didn't get mine. I know they got accepted because of secret inside knowledge, but I don't know whether they are posters or talks.

Mine got accepted and I could not believe my eyes. I truly look forward to it.

i'm pretty sure someone's sort of addressed this in a previous thread, but for the Stowell-Orbison award my understand is that only the Monday posters are eligible...my question is this: is the award decided upon ahead of time? or do the committee folks walk around and make the call after seeing the posters?

(and no, i really don't care THAT much about being selected/not selected -- hell i'm just the senior author on one my posters being presented so i'm sure the first author is gonna get all the cash). more curiosity than anything. And no, ironically i don't completely believe in the institutional bias...(reading previous threads)

I think all the Stowell-Orbisons are on monday only. Not every poster that day is a Stowell Orbison though, as far as I know. Awards are not decided ahead of time - I suspect they develop a few favorites ahead of time but it isn't decided on.

Weird - I didn't get mine. I know they got accepted because of secret inside knowledge, but I don't know whether they are posters or talks.

hmm... maybe they were aware of your secret knowledge, and didn't bother to email you..;)

I got mine yesterday at 4:15 PM.

Question: are all those who applied to the Stowell-Orbisons awards still in the running at this point? Do they all present Monday, or are some already weeded out?

I think all the Stowell-Orbisons are on monday only. Not every poster that day is a Stowell Orbison though, as far as I know. Awards are not decided ahead of time - I suspect they develop a few favorites ahead of time but it isn't decided on.

i think you're right. it could be just the morning morning posters are S-O candidates.

I talked my PD into letting me go to USCAP as my "free" conference/board review instead of Osler/ASCP. I could not believe it either ;)

No more new projects until boards is over!

Maybe the locals can tell us - is the Cape worth visiting in March?

Is there any plan for people to get together?

Our abstract is accepted as well. I love the idea of an SDN event. Many places to hang out in the immediate area. Hi Caffeinegirl! I love the idea of a Wednesday night gathering. Crossroads (Mass. Ave & Beacon) is a possibility.

Mindy

There are plenty of places near the convention center to get a drink. Maybe a Wednesday night get together? Regardless, there's plenty of time to figure this out...more info as we get closer to the date!

Sounds like a great idea!

Plus, we should hang out again and get drinks before then :)

Got a question about posters. Do you have to have your accepted abstract written verbatim on the poster? If you have new additional data, I presume you can add this into your poster, right? And what if by adding the new data, you need to add a new author as a result?

I've been to many scientific meetings where nobody seemed to care one way or another - but it seems that more clinical meetings are more stringent.

I would say at least half of the posters there do not have their abstract on it. The poster is, itself, sort of an abstract. So to me it seems like severe overkill to put a separate abstract on there. Nobody cares. They aren't going to reject your poster. I have seen people win Stowell-Orbison awards who did not have the accepted abstract (or any separate "abstract" on their poster). I think they might tell you to put it on there, but unless it says something that you aren't saying elsewhere, don't bother.

As far as changing the text, most people do this also. Data changes or is added to between the time of abstract submission and the actual meeting (which is something like 6 months). You may get some questions if your data or conclusions are different from what is posted in the Modern Pathology issue or online, but people do it all the time.

It is also fine to add more authors. People don't really care. All that matters is that your abstract is accepted as a poster, you are assigned a poster number and time and date to present it, and you show up with your poster at that time to present it.