Technology Used/Refurbished Laptops

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Cerbernator

Retired
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I want a laptop primarlily for paper writing but I dont want to pay an arm and a leg. Any ideas where to look?
 
Cerbernator said:
I want a laptop primarlily for paper writing but I dont want to pay an arm and a leg. Any ideas where to look?


Check with Dell and IBM (their websites) for reconditioned laptops - they have full warranties, and are often in perfect shape. If someone can't figure out how to turn a computer on and it gets returned, it becomes reconditioned.

I've helped friends buy recon'd dell desktops, usually the only thing wrong was the keyboard (the one part they don't test, I guess), and the cost was 25-50% of new.

Same with IBM - top quality laptops at a discount. Of course, a discounted IBM is still pretty expensive.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Here's some links to HP's, Dell's and IBM's certified used sites:

Dell Used Outlet

HP Used Outlet

IBM Used Outlet

But you might find better prices on ebay.com. Just make sure the laptop still has a few years of warranty (manufacterers warranty is better) left on it.

I bought my IBM Thinkpad T40 (a killer laptop BTW) for a very, very good price on ebay (more than $1000 below some of the prices I've seen on the internet and a good $500 below what's on IBM's used site), brand new with 3 years warranty and all.

Good luck and hope this helps.