Useful electives for cards-interested residents

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chromaticscale

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are some useful or helpful electives you recommend for those of us interested in cards? I know it's important to be a good internist aka have a good foundational knowledge of medicine, but are there any in particular that you feel were helpful or would have been helpful for cardiology fellowship?

I'm interested in general cards at the moment.

Members don't see this ad.

What are some useful or helpful electives you recommend for those of us interested in cards? I know it's important to be a good internist aka have a good foundational knowledge of medicine, but are there any in particular that you feel were helpful or would have been helpful for cardiology fellowship?

I'm interested in general cards at the moment.

A psychiatry rotation would be immensely helpful.

Reactions: 1 user
In terms of getting into cards?
Whatever rotation offers exposure to faculty who are influential or involved in the selection process.
In terms of "preparing" for cards fellowship?
Nothing, focus on becoming best possible medicine doc. Things like a month long echo rotations or something like that are a waste of time before fellowship in my opinion

Edit: thought about it more. A cross over elective like CCU is always useful

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Cardiology consult service or CCU. Anything which give you most FaceTime (that’s what we called) with influential cardiologists of the department. And, be in good books with the fellows :) brownie points if you get involved in some sort of research with the faculty/fellow.

From an influential standpoint, I would mirror what has been said; do rotations that will expose you to the people making the selection decisions.

Practically speaking, many of your HF patients are end stage or will be within a few years. To this end, I highly recommend a palliative care rotation to learn how to communicate ends of life care as well as what to expect at time of diagnosis.

Last edited: