Useful information from post applicant interview

Started by horsybaby
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

horsybaby

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I thought this might be helpful for those that are applying in the future. I realize this is only 1 schools and really 1 persons assessment, but I found it insightful. Most important(and least helpful) is that no matter what, this process is done by people and therefore is subjective. I had under 500 vet hours and over 1500 animal hours, yet I was an alternate for CSU. (Some people told me the under 1000 vet hours would be an automatic cut off.) I majored undergrad in Biochemistry because I thought it was the more challenging major at my school. Because of my biochem major I was first priority for upper level biochem classes, but not upper level biology classes. I attend a small midwestern "locally prestigous" liberal arts school and these upper level classes fill up quickly. The professor I spoke with said these lack of upper level biology classes hurt me. I did try to take them, but because I wasn't a biology major - I couldnt get in.My original plan was med school and then junior year decided I was meant to be a vet. (Hence the low number of vet hours)
If i dont get in this year my reviewers suggestion was to take upper level biology classes and ace them and gain vet experience. Considering I never thought of the "major" issue playing a part- I thought this might help someone else...