Useful RadOnc Websites

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ATM Machine

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone has a good list of useful websites for rad onc residents/students/etc.

Here's a start:

Literature:
ASTRO key papers site, CogentMed, Wikibooks Radiation Oncology site

Treatment Techniques:
RTOG (protocols and nodal maps)

Texts:
Cancernetwork has a multidisciplinary oncology textbook.

Other:
Oncolink, NCCN (treatment guidelines)

Anyone else have any suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

wikipedia should not be seriously used as a source.

uptodate.com

Members don't see this ad :)
Wiki is not the best primary source, but it's good for reviews before conference, or quickly trying to find key papers.

-S

Honestly Steph, have you looked at the site?? or are you just blowing it off. I think it looks pretty good.

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Radiation_Oncology

Actually, I would certainly not use the wikipedia site for a primary text, but it's an easier reference than carrying a 10 lb text to work. And honestly, I've found the references at LEAST as useful as the ones from CogentMed.

Honestly Steph, have you looked at the site?? or are you just blowing it off. I think it looks pretty good.

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Radiation_Oncology

Ah, long time no hear. ive never actually seen that particular radonc wiki link. it certainly looks good as you say. but any open source is something to be very very careful about. even people who mean well can post questional info. (I think that point has been made once or twice on this forum in fact).
The peer review and editorical process is important. (I think that point has been made here once or twice too). Unless this wiki book has such a system in place for all submissions, you simply need to be careful with it. Or don't. Makes no nevermind to me.

Actually, I would certainly not use the wikipedia site for a primary text, but it's an easier reference than carrying a 10 lb text to work. And honestly, I've found the references at LEAST as useful as the ones from CogentMed.

cogent med isnt the most elegant site. its useful but really needs an update.

Ah, long time no hear. ive never actually seen that particular radonc wiki link. it certainly looks good as you say. but any open source is something to be very very careful about. even people who mean well can post questional info. (I think that point has been made once or twice on this forum in fact).

It's a point worth repeating, Steph. In my experience, the Wiki site is pretty responsibly done, although I have seen some minor inaccuracies, and some of the pages contain info which is kind of scattershot, and not really what one would consider seminal (or even important) in that particular site. The listing of all the NSABP and RTOG trials with links is very helpful. I use the site as a supplement, and a helpful quick reference (along with UpToDate), but not as a primary source. The websites listed by radonc are all pretty good. I think NCCN tends to be underappreciated; I would encourage any student who wants to polish up on a particular subject for a consult, etc. to check out the treatment algorithms there early on.

The ACR website also has some pretty useful rad onc info that is kind of hidden away. Here's the link: http:/www.acr.org/SecondaryMainMenuCategories/quality_safety/app_criteria/pdf.aspx

They cover most of the main rad onc clinical sites and subsites, starting with case examples and following with a literature review. The downside is that many of the subtopics are currently being updated so you can't access them. The ones that are available, though, are quite good and written by a panel of key rad onc people.

As i say, anything not peer reviewed or edited by experts is completely open (which is my understanding of wiki) to not only frank error, but even innocent misrepresentation. What's been put together may be excellent or may be lousy; that's the point. there is no quality control.

I looked caually through a few entries; i didnt find any major errors. I did find that some of the data/studies chosen to be representative on some topics is such that while not while technically wrong, would make for a less than excellent resident presentation if you used it as your source for refs. As you might expect this happens more in the areas that have less definitive "standards of care". Again, its a matter of peer editing.

It's a point worth repeating, Steph. In my experience, the Wiki site is pretty responsibly done, although I have seen some minor inaccuracies, and some of the pages contain info which is kind of scattershot, and not really what one would consider seminal (or even important) in that particular site. The listing of all the NSABP and RTOG trials with links is very helpful. I use the site as a supplement, and a helpful quick reference (along with UpToDate), but not as a primary source. The websites listed by radonc are all pretty good. I think NCCN tends to be underappreciated; I would encourage any student who wants to polish up on a particular subject for a consult, etc. to check out the treatment algorithms there early on.

Since the Radiation Oncology wikibook was the subject of several comments in this discussion thread, as one of the authors of the wikibook, I'd like to contribute my two cents and perhaps editorialize on behalf of the wiki concept.

First of all, we appreciate and acknowledge the criticisms of having an educational resource such as this out in the open for anyone to edit. Sure, it is at risk for overt vandalism and the introduction of errors, either maliciously or unintentionally. Also, there are no formal editors or owners of the work and there is no peer review.

That while the ability for anyone to edit the wikibook is one of its vulnerabilities, it's also what could potentially turn it into a great resource.

A wiki, which comes from the Hawaiian word wikiwiki for "quick", can be edited on the fly, allowing for the ability to stay constantly updated and fresh. Compare this to the standard textbooks in our field that are already a year or so out of date by the time they get published.

Also, even after going through several steps of peer review and passing an editorial board, many, many journal articles and textbooks still contain errors. Unfortunately, once in print, these errors cannot be readily communicated to the reader. Sure, a journal may bring notice to the errors by issuing printed errata in futurer issues and textbooks will eventually (years later) come up with a revised edition, but those solutions do nothing to change the text you see before you.

A wiki textbook, on the other hand, can be edited by anyone who reads it. So errors can be discovered by any of a number of readers and corrected instantly. In essence, instead of a lack of peer review or an editorial board, there is actually an expanded editorial presence.

I need to stress that the wikibook is a work in progress. It was created two and a half years ago with just a table of contents to serve as a general outline but very little content. There was only one author working on it back then, and the additions were hodgepodge, but began to take shape. Later, others learned about it and helped it to grow with their hard work and vision. It has grown steadily. It now has 245 pages of content and about 265,000 words (this is at least count, several months ago). Although most edits have been made by a handful of regular contributors, 26 registered user names and 60 anonymous IP addresses have helped edit the wiki.

Certainly, the wikibook is much more complete in some sections (e.g. prostate) than in others which are very limited in content. Compared to a standard textbook, it's missing an awful lot. As already pointed out by another user, one surely should not turn to the wikibook as their only resource in researching a topic.

By the wiki concept, if it's missing something, then be bold and add it! Only by the collaborative effort of many people is an ambitious project like this able to succeed. Anything is possible, and I'm hoping for the future that the wikibook will become much, much more than it is today. The MediaWiki software (the brain behind the Wikibooks site) allows for graphics to be added, and graphics are sadly something that's lacking in the Radiation Oncology wikibook (and in a field that's so visually-oriented). I'd one day like to see this wikibook have pictures of port films, isodose curves, tumor pathology, anatomy... the list is endless. As I said, anything is possible with this format. It just takes a lot of work.

So, if you like the wiki and you see something that needs changing or if you think it could benefit by adding something, then we encourage you to help out! If you're bold and would like to do it yourself, just click on the "edit this page" tab at the top and make what changes need to be made. At first, the markup language that MediaWiki uses may appear unfamiliar, but it's easy to learn. If you don't care to get involved in editing but see something that needs to be changed and would like to bring it to our attention, then please contact one of the other authors and we'll do it for you.

The Wiki could turn into a great resource that has the advantage that it's available to everybody. It's truly by the people, for the people. (But only if you're Rad Onc. No Med Oncs!!! just kidding...) The more people, the better it will be.

Like Brim, I am another of the primary contributors to the wikibooks radonc textbook. A bit more disclosure, I am finishing my first year as radonc resident, although I did have another life prior to doing this. Here is my couple of cents about the site ...

As I am studying, I am putting the info up on the website. That way, it's available to me from anywhere, at any time. I find it helpful as a fast *reference* due to the hierarchical, hyperlinked nature; couple clicks take me where I want to go, and if needed, directly to PubMed. I specifically emphasize the reference aspect, as a refresher of things I already know (or should know but forgot as is often the case - like "what was the recurrence rate after whole breast boost again?"), rather than the textbook aspect of learning new material. That I get from textbooks, UpToDate and review articles.

The other reason for participating for me is the altruistic aspect - since I am gathering "study" notes anyway, others might as well benefit from it too. As such, I think residents are the ideal contributors, since they are in an active knowledge-acquisition mode. Once out of residency, I find we aren't as good at keeping current, and for many it boils down to perusing the Red Journal occasionally, and then going to ASTRO once a year.

I envision building this site primarily for the reference role. As Brim points out, the wikis are nice in their potential to be truly uptodate. When one of the authors adds something, I go look at it (one of the features of registering), and then it's just very easy to pull the original paper via PubMed. The other benefit is the potential depth of coverage, since there is no restriction on the level of detail. As an example, the trigeminal neuralgia "chapter" has pretty much every single paper published on TN as of about 6 months ago, since I was doing a bit of research in TN.

The social engineering aspect is fascinating to me. I am very curious about what will happen long term. If we grow weary of updating it, and nobody helps, it will just die. Or, it may become a true community reference source, with discussion pages serving to "editorialize" content. Or, it can get completely overrun by vandals. For now, the content has been whatever the authors deemed interesting at the time, not necessarily whatever happen to be the "seminal" studies. As I am studying, I am making more of a systematic effort at it (see for example the medulloblastoma page or the DCIS page), but clearly few authors cannot reasonably cover everything.

At any rate, it's thus far been a fun, rewarding, and really-useful-for-studying process :) I too would encourage you to at least edit the glaring errors you happen to find, or let one of us know.

dont get me wrong; i have no problem with wiki or the concept of it. I go there to look up all sorts of things that i want a quick review on. and it can be used as a good starting point. but it is not alone sufficient in my view for an scholarly definitive source. I would never use it as the definitive source for anything I needed to be well informed about. Its not because I dont like it; I do. its just not sufficient for a scholarly source.

Youre right, the weakness and strength are one and the same. And professional radiation oncologists should be very aware of what its limitations are. I would equaly agree that it can be informative, probably a lot of fun to participate in, and has its role to play.

cogent med isnt the most elegant site. its useful but really needs an update.

Cogentmed probably could have used an update like 3 years ago. And uptodate in fact updates itself "only" on a q6 monthly basis. I have actually encountered scenarios where we'll have a visiting professor come in, and I'll find an article/abstract from a very recent meeting on the wikibooks site (not that it makes a huge amount of difference when the professor starts pimping you on the plain film anatomy instead of the literature). But I can certainly see a potential use for an up to date list of references, even if it is put up by a bunch of residents. I think the key to the success of such a website would probably be a sufficient number of contributors. And while the site would not be able to claim that it's an academic or scholarly source because of the lack of review, a scholarly text like the new Brady Perez will already be out of date by the time it's officially released at ASTRO.

the problem again is still open editorship. My guess would be people might even use this thread to check out the wikibook and (particuarly in the "boutique" fields) put in their own biases in treatment. again its useful. but only as a jumping board for anything academic.

I was wondering if anyone has a good list of useful websites for rad onc residents/students/etc.

Here's a start:

Literature:
ASTRO key papers site, CogentMed, Wikibooks Radiation Oncology site

I could not find the key papers page. Anyone have a direct link or able to help me navigate? Thanks.

someone ought to tidy the bibliography up a bit for easy of use. but great job.