Useful Undergrad Courses for MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Baloo0

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Trying to decide between taking Genetics or Molecular Biology to help supplement my MCAT prep more, any thoughts?

I'll be taking the new MCAT in 2015 I'll also have all the pre-requisites done by then (obviously) plus Bio Chem and Physiology, which I hear help some too. Plus either a prep course or book, probably the latter because those courses are annoying.

Members don't see this ad.

Trying to decide between taking Genetics or Molecular Biology to help supplement my MCAT prep more, any thoughts?

I'll be taking the new MCAT in 2015 I'll also have all the pre-requisites done by then (obviously) plus Bio Chem and Physiology, which I hear help some too. Plus either a prep course or book, probably the latter because those courses are annoying.

Genetics
+ Do research
+ Any class that makes you read scientific papers.
+ Basic biology prep
= you are guaranteed at least a 12 on the BS section.

Hmm, I took molecular biology prior to the MCAT and found that it did help a bit. I'm not sure you could really go wrong with either. I didn't take genetics though so I'm not sure what that could have done for me.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would suggest taking a biochem class, physiology, genetics, and possibly microbiology before taking the MCAT. I only took genetics, and it was fine, but I found that it would have cut a couple weeks off of studying if I had taken some of those core upper div bio classes.

^whoa there buddy...

to OP - bio isn't the only subject on the MCAT. Take philosophy or something.

PS:
-Prereq's (gen chem and ochem)
-Biochemistry
-Physical Chemistry
-Analytical Chemistry

VR:
-Literature and/or critical reasoning and interpretation class

BS:
-Anatomy/Physiology (upper level. Not the kind nursing students take)
-Biochem
-Genetics
-Micro
-Developmental Bio
-Immunology
-And many more.

These are helpful, but certainly not necessary.

For the current MCAT:

BS (in order of importance)
- Biochem
- Molecular bio
- Genetics
- Anatomy & Physiology (a very distant 4th place btw)

VR (in no particular order)
- Philosophy
- Upper division literature analysis classes
- Art history/appreciation

PS
- Nothing. Gen chem + trig-based physics truly is all that's tested on the exam.

Don't be under the impression that you need to take all these classes to do well. I took none of these save for two philosophy classes ("critical thinking" which wasn't really relevant, and "great questions" which was) and ended up with a 39. However, had I taken all of these classes my life would have been a lot easier while studying for the MCAT. I pretty much had to teach myself everything listed above.

For the current MCAT:

BS (in order of importance)
- Biochem
- Molecular bio
- Genetics
- Anatomy & Physiology (a very distant 4th place btw)

VR (in no particular order)
- Philosophy
- Upper division literature analysis classes
- Art history/appreciation

PS
- Nothing. Gen chem + trig-based physics truly is all that's tested on the exam.

Don't be under the impression that you need to take all these classes to do well. I took none of these save for two philosophy classes ("critical thinking" which wasn't really relevant, and "great questions" which was) and ended up with a 39. However, had I taken all of these classes my life would have been a lot easier while studying for the MCAT. I pretty much had to teach myself everything listed above.
Gracias to everyone for the advice. So you'd give the nod to molecular biology over genetics for MCAT prep? Nice job on the 39 by the way that's quite impressive, any other sage advice?

Gracias to everyone for the advice. So you'd give the nod to molecular biology over genetics for MCAT prep? Nice job on the 39 by the way that's quite impressive, any other sage advice?

Yeah, although it's honestly pretty close between to the two. I gave the edge to molecular bio because it's a harder topic than genetics and there's more of it on the MCAT. Biochem wins out because there's so much of it; the AAMC lies when they say they haven't added biochem to the test yet. Rest assured most of it is already on there.

Can't really think of any advice right now other than to just study as hard as you can. Everyone always wants to know what the secret to a high score on the MCAT is, and the answer is simply to drill the material until your eyes bleed.