Usefulness of NBME assessment?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futureped

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Many of these threads emphasize the importance of the NBME assessment in predicting my score. Will I learn anything from it (besides my score)? Does it provide answers?
I'm just not sure I want to spend $45 and 4 hours of my time if I don't get some good tips. Thanks to everyone for their advice in this forum!!!

Members don't see this ad.

It is right on the money accurate. It will give you a score. and that will be you score if you take it that week!!! GL

I made a 207 on the practice test one week before step 2. My actual score? 236. I made a 198 on step 1, so yes you can improve your score and no, the practice tests are not always good predictors.

I hope that Jalopycat's right on his/her assessment. My scores for the 3 NBME tests were kinda scattered, 235 on NBME 1, 222 on NBME 2, 241 on NBME 3. I'll see if I can remember to post my real scores when they come in. I'm taking the test here in 2 days... (Oh, and I took NBME 2 and 3 on the same day.)

Members don't see this ad :)
I took both NMBE tests, one 4 days before and the second one 3 days before. Both scores were 209 and 207. Just got my score today, and it was over 230.

AznDragon said:
I took both NMBE tests, one 4 days before and the second one 3 days before. Both scores were 209 and 207. Just got my score today, and it was over 230.

Yes, but all of the people on this post did BETTER than their NBME assess!!!

DID ANYONE DO WORSE?

Thanks~

My Step 2 score came in today, NBME 1/2/3 scores posted above. True score was 248. Thank goodness NBME 2 wasn't the accurate one... Took NBME 1 about a week before the exam, took NBME 2 and 3 the same day, 3 days before. Good luck to all.

Can someone tell me the SD and average to correlate with the NBME scores? I think it was like 500=216 for Step 1, but I have no memory of what the SD was except that it was 100 on the assessment. Anyway, the average and the SD are different for Step 2, right.

Thanks a lot.

YEAH

yeah i was wondering too--did anyone do worse on nbme than their actual step?

also i heard NBME II is harder than I -- i did about the same on both, but i thought II was a little trickier. maybe i was just in a crappier mood.

any thoughts?

also, nbme gives you score correlations after you finish your step (it pops up after you get your score) so you don't need to go off some vague correlation on sdn.

alright time to study till my brain gets muddy

All one receives from the NBME practice tests is a score, plus the mean an standard deviation. The scale is different, but you can easily convert to the USMLE scale. The answers and explanations are not included. You probably will not learn too much. As you're reading from these responses, the predictive value is not always that great. I thought the questions for Step 1 were much easier, on average, than the actual Step 1 exam.

Does anyone have a link for the NBME?

I would like to take the step 3 practice.
I went to the site but could not figure out where to find the step 3 practice test.

Does it include the CCS portion?
Thanks
Pureride
[email protected]

All one receives from the NBME practice tests is a score, plus the mean an standard deviation. The scale is different, but you can easily convert to the USMLE scale. The answers and explanations are not included. You probably will not learn too much. As you're reading from these responses, the predictive value is not always that great. I thought the questions for Step 1 were much easier, on average, than the actual Step 1 exam.

the scale isn't different--they give you your three number score as well as your two number score.

for me the questions were about 85% of the difficulty of my actual step 2.

btw this forum is for step 2 not 1

Step 1 - Took only the 2nd NBME Form - Score 236
Actual USMLE - 227/92 (was not happy about the difference!)

Step 2 - Took NBME 1 - 217, NBME 2 - 229
will take NBME 3 3 days before my scheduled Step 2

Will post the results after I get my score

Ari Vederci

I took the step 2 NBME1 and I scored 256!(99) :0

I will do my step 2 ck in June 14th, sO I still have 40 days to improve my SCORE!!!!!

I want to make 99 in step 2 and 99 in step 1 because I am a brazilian doctor and I want to make my medical residence in USA in a Good Hospital!

I recomend the NBMe self assessment!

I took the NBME 1 for Step II CK 2 months ago, about 2 weeks before taking the real thing. I was 6 points lower on the actual exam than the NBME.

Why did I think it was worth it? I had early matched and had put off the test to the very end... When I passed the NBME comfortably, I was able to concentrate on my weaknesses and not worry about the fact my graduation, upcoming residency, closing on my house, and relocating my family was all riding on one exam... :) I perform better under pressure, although my wife would rather I not create undue pressure.

Why was it lower? Perhaps that I was running a fever and had a raging sinus infection the day of the exam had something to do with it. I know, Wah!

I would definitely recommend taking at least one within a month to guage.

Best Wishes!