kern07

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 2, 2008
Status
Pharmacy Student
i guess 5 schools pumping out an average of 200-300 grads per school/year isn't enough for them.

this is ridiculous. :eek:

WVUPharm2007

imagine sisyphus happy
15+ Year Member
Jun 23, 2003
Born: Parkersburg, WV | Now: Montgomery TWP, PA
Status
Pharmacist
At least its a real school this time.

Its Z

Retired
7+ Year Member
May 15, 2010
Status
Pharmacist
Oh stop it with the gloom and doom.. We'll be fine..We will always need more pharmacists with the babyboomers retiring.. and retail chains are hard up for pharmacists across the country. They should probably open another 50 pharmacy schools.. and we need more foreign pharmacists now and for next 20 years!

rph3664

7+ Year Member
Jul 5, 2010
Status
Pharmacist
I'd like to know where they're finding all the people to teach at these new schools. Yeah, I'm gonna go to school 5 more years to get a Ph.D. and cut my salary in half!

:idea:

Sparda29

En Taro Adun
10+ Year Member
Mar 25, 2008
New York, New York
Status
Pharmacist
I'd like to know where they're finding all the people to teach at these new schools. Yeah, I'm gonna go to school 5 more years to get a Ph.D. and cut my salary in half!

I believe a lot of the clinical faculty at pharmacy schools are usually people with Pharm.Ds + PGY2 residency or MDs for some of the basic sciences. The only PhDs I've seen are in new fields like Pharmacogenomics, Medicinal Chemistry, Pharmacology.

rxforlife2004

Membership Revoked
Removed
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 13, 2004
Visit site
Status
Non-Student
there's always some idiot trying to get into pharmacy school....unfortunately.

Demand vs supply here....more students wanna go pharm school = more schools open...as simple as that.

njac

10+ Year Member
Mar 20, 2005
Now headed all the way west!
Status
Pharmacist

Several of them are sending people like me interview invites through PPS as we speak.

njac

10+ Year Member
Mar 20, 2005
Now headed all the way west!
Status
Pharmacist
Are they decent schools? I'd jump all over that...if there's one thing that pharmacy school lacks, it's decent education in Emegency Medicine.

How's second year treating you?
that is true. But I'm still deciding what exactly I want to do with myself - academia vs community vs whoknows. There are some very cool opportunities out there right now!

2nd year is going pretty well, on tox right now and loving it. Presentation on drug-induced SiADH tomorrow. blah.

BestDoctorEver

Membership Revoked
Removed
Account on Hold
5+ Year Member
Sep 26, 2009
Status
Medical Student
What is happening with all these universities that wanna have pharm school. Can they stop that BS?

Its Z

Retired
7+ Year Member
May 15, 2010
Status
Pharmacist
not nearly enough...we need about 200 schools each cranking out 200 to 300 students to stop the shortage.

KARM12

10+ Year Member
Apr 4, 2006
East
Status
Pharmacist
that is true. But I'm still deciding what exactly I want to do with myself - academia vs community vs whoknows. There are some very cool opportunities out there right now!

2nd year is going pretty well, on tox right now and loving it. Presentation on drug-induced SiADH tomorrow. blah.
Whoa, whoa whoa....do I see community in there?

KARM12

10+ Year Member
Apr 4, 2006
East
Status
Pharmacist
If you look at the sidebar on the webpage, it is asking for donations. As of right now it says "We have earned 0 of our $22.5 million dollar goal."

It also says for the low low price of $10 mil, they will name the school after you!

Last edited:

Its Z

Retired
7+ Year Member
May 15, 2010
Status
Pharmacist
Community, as in non-teaching, hospital. NOT community as in retail!

Oh stop it.. now that you've totally wasted your time doing worthless PGY1 & 2, you know Wags/CVS/W-Mart/Rite-Aid with their ever increasing shortage of pharmacists is the way to go...with their $30,000 sign on and $20,000 per year retention bonus + profitsharing and benefits should be around $225,000 per year.. I expect to see this trend grow for next 25 years or so.. but I'm really worried about pharmacists class of 2035..because most babyboomers will be dead.

:thumbup:

1234girl

pharmacist
10+ Year Member
Apr 6, 2009
Status
Pharmacist
Oh stop it.. now that you've totally wasted your time doing worthless PGY1 & 2, you know Wags/CVS/W-Mart/Rite-Aid with their ever increasing shortage of pharmacists is the way to go...with their $30,000 sign on and $20,000 per year retention bonus + profitsharing and benefits should be around $225,000 per year.. I expect to see this trend grow for next 25 years or so.. but I'm really worried about pharmacists class of 2035..because most babyboomers will be dead.

:thumbup:
Its Z..You're down right funny when you're being sarcastic. Don't know where everyone else is located rightnow. But in the east coast, there is complete saturation in the retail setting. Too many people looking for work and not enough positions to go around. I am pretty sure the college of pharmacy still claim shortage. Wish I know where they're pulling the numbers (out of their bottom!). I feel sorry for those graduating students who have a lot of school debt but no job.

DAW2

Professional Pill Repackager
10+ Year Member
Feb 1, 2006
they need more pharmacists to fill the oxy rxs down there

Its Z

Retired
7+ Year Member
May 15, 2010
Status
Pharmacist